I'm next!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by albionjessica, Nov 29, 2006.

1. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I have a friend a few blocks down who was due to give birth December 6th, just 5 weeks ahead of me. We were supposed to hang out tonight watching movies and talking girl talk, so I called her as soon as I got out of work. No answer. I left a message thinking that maybe she was having dinner or napping or something. Well, that was 4 hours ago, and she just returned my call. Her water broke at midnight last night, and she gave birth to a "perfect sweetie" at 1pm today. YAY! She said she hasn't slept since the night before last, but that she is so excited to have her baby in her arms that she probably won't be able to sleep for hours. I'm so excited to go visit her tomorrow! She kept saying, "You're next, you know," and, "I can't wait until you have your baby!"

Should I bring anything with me when I visit her? I thought about flowers and balloons, but that's just more stuff her and her husband will have to tote home and deal with. Then I thought that maybe I could volunteer to make dinner for her some night, or get them a gift certificate to a good delivery restaurant. I'd feel bad showing up empty handed, but I don't know what to get/do.

Ironic, isn't it? Just an hour ago I jumped on here thinking about labor induction, then I find out that my friend just had her baby. It's so scary and exciting all at once! And... egads! I'm next!

2. sunnygrl

sunnygrl Well-Known Member

show up and smile and hold the baby.... wait till they get home to give them a homecoming gift... we had so much stuff to bring home from the hospital, from what everyone gave us and what the hospital sends home with you and when they say you can finally go home, you just want to get out of there as fast as you can and those cut flowers and ballons sometimes just get shoved under the new diaperbag that the formula co. gave the hospital to give you and taking up the rest of the room is the time capsule and all of the dirty clothes you wore while you were there..( mainly underwear that look like you killed someone... shhhh offended people pretend this isnt here....)I'ts best to wait a couple of weeks also.... for all of you who are just dying to know all about me.... I was in agony with my second with a clogged milk duct when my milk came in... didn't want anyone coming over because i was going around mostly naked with hot compresses and cold cabbage leaves and carrying around a breast pump... that lasted an eternity.... uggg.... of course with my first i was falling asleep in seconds after sitting down so was not good company for anyone....
    :rolleyes: :baby04: :)

3. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

I second the idea to wait to bring a gift until mom and baby are at home. Once they get home, I like to bring something for baby (outfit they can wear in a month or two since most clothes received from showers are tiny and babe has nothing to wear within a few weeks!) and something for mom (like nursing pads if she is breastfeeding--just can't have enough of those!)

A dinner they can pop in the oven to heat up or in the freezer to save for another day is nice too.

4. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

A meal or two is a great idea! I like to take two or three that can be frozen. Then they can pull them out when ready. You can't take those to the hospital though! :D

5. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

We take the new mother a snack (if there aren't dietary restrictions). One time we took a calzone from the pizza place, another time we took a pint of ice cream. They were both big hits!

Anniebek

6. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I'd say a meal or two. Those have always been very appreciated around here.