Im new

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by rickochet, Sep 12, 2004.

1. rickochet

rickochet Member

as i wrote in new to pigs Im a first timer.when I pick up my pigs they will be three mo's old .Will they be ready to butcher by jan?I live in central Arkansas so its not as cold as up north but it does freeze here & there seems to be some issues in winter hog raising.Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As far as housing and location my plans are in "new to pigs",Im a hunt & peck typer so if you could read and advise Id say thank you.I neglected in my prior post to say I will build in a semi wooded area with sun and shade.until the next time,take care,rick

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Welcome,
    First thing to look for if you have male pigs is: are they castrated?LOL

We live east of Ft. Smith and we raised pigs in the winter. We had them in an enclosure in the barn and when they were small, 21 days old to about 2 months we kept a heat lamp for them to sleep under and they did just that. after that they would sleep under the hay we used for bedding. Their drinking water would freeze but that was part of the "FUN" of having them.. We would have to make sure they had drinkable water at all times

Pigs can stand colder climates although they use up a lot of the feed just staying warm so they don't grow as big as fast pushing your feed bill higher.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you give them all they will eat, they should easily be butcher size at 6 months of age. All the shelter they need is a place under a small roof of some sort where they have a dry place to sleep. A wind break on the sides of the dry place would be a nice touch.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

if you do overwinter them give them enough hay to completely burrow into it