Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbour at the flats doesn't like me. Has had something against me since the day he moved in - would always say hello to DD on the stairs but ignore me etc etc.

He and his wife are real "work, do the housework and go to the pub" types and really don't approve of my lifestyle choice.

Just recently he has been making personal remarks about my flat, and even threatened to talk to the landlord to try to get me kicked out of my flat (I spoke to the landlord and he assured me that it just wasn't going to happen, he can see that the neighbours are totally different to me and that's all there is to it.

The last couple of weeks he has been rude and commented on a smell from my place - I have had some friends come over to see if they can smell anything but there is nothing - he is just being unpleasant.

SO.......TODAY.....I had been boiling up some leftovers for the poultry and I got absorbed in something else and forgot it - and it DID smell. So - I ran into him on the stairs and he made a comment about "the smell".

I couldn't help it - I said "oh that's a Romanian beef stew, very highly spiced and delicious, I got it from a Gordon Ramsey article - would you like to come in and try some?"

For the first time EVER it completely silenced him. He went red and just didn't know WHAT to say LOL

I think that counts as one up to hoggie ;)

hoggie

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
LOL you did good serves him right!

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
LOL! It would have been even better if he'd accepted ;)

Some folks are just snarky, there's nothing you can do about it. You dealt with his unpleasantness beautifully, hoggie!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Hoggie, you are a woman after my own heart! I was raised in the south and what you did is something we call "out-nicing" someone. Yes, "nicing" is a made up word making the adjective nice into a verb. It means you have settled an issue with a unpleasant person by taking the higher road. Sometimes it works to oil the waters with someone worthwhile but with a twit like your neighbor, it usually ticks them off royally. Either way, darlin', you win. You either made a friend or showed the other party he's being a jerk. Of course, that's assuming he's smart enough to realize he's been "had."

And I don't think it's being naughty, I think it's being kind to someone who deserves the seat of his pants kicked. Good job!

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL - I don't know WHAT I would have done if he HAD accepted - I guess it would have been my turn to go red :D

hoggie

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
You would have given him a time to call for dinner with his wife in tow, run into the kitchen and whipped up "Romanian Beef Stew" to serve them!

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
never met mister Ramsey, he can cook from what i hear! i woulda burst out laughing if he had accepted!

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Hoggie, you are a woman after my own heart! I was raised in the south and what you did is something we call "out-nicing" someone. Yes, "nicing" is a made up word making the adjective nice into a verb. It means you have settled an issue with a unpleasant person by taking the higher road. Sometimes it works to oil the waters with someone worthwhile but with a twit like your neighbor, it usually ticks them off royally. Either way, darlin', you win. You either made a friend or showed the other party he's being a jerk. Of course, that's assuming he's smart enough to realize he's been "had."

And I don't think it's being naughty, I think it's being kind to someone who deserves the seat of his pants kicked. Good job!
We call it "killing 'em with kindness".

It does also serve sometimes to give one a very self-satisfied feeling watching them seeth and not being able to do anything about it, because after all, you're just being sweet!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Christine, we had a terrible neighbor for 10 years and I "out-niced" her, "killed her with kindness" at every opportunity just because I knew it really made her even angrier that I didn't respond in kind. She got mad at me one day and screamed "I don't believe a word I hear about you, woman!" I had to think about that one for a while. Obviously she'd heard I was a nice person and didn't want to believe it. What tickled us was that shortly before we moved from that neighborhood, she started building a new house on another piece of property she owned about a mile away. The realtor who helped with our sale was hired by another couple who bought the nasty neighbor's house. When it was all over, the realtor called us and asked how in the world we had survived that woman for TEN YEARS because she was so difficult during the negotiations for her old house. Truthfully, I was afraid what I would find every time I left and returned home even for a few hours. Once she hired someone to spray herbicide on our fence rows beside a public road because she thought they were messy when they were cleaner than hers. She did it because she knew I was an organic gardener. She threw lighted cigarette butts onto the mulch in my garden which was right beside a common fence trying to set the mulch on fire. And it was she who bragged about giving her neighbor's dog antifreeze shortly after our dog died suddenly of kidney failure. I'm well practiced at out-nicing other folk when it's necessary.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Hoggie, would you like Artificer's recipe for haggis? He makes one of the best. (we make a holiday haggis as opposed to the everyday sort). He's actually received an award for it. All you need is a freshly boiled/cleaned sheep's stomach and some organ meats and oats. Of course, cleaning the sheep's stomach is pretty smelly...... ;)

Possibly the site of the esophagus hanging out the side of the pot would be enough to put off Mr. I-don't-like-you-and-am-going-to-complain. :D

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Or a Southern delicacy called "chittlin's." It's spelled chitterlings but called chittlin's. Almost as bad--cleaned hog intestine that is fried. Never ate it, never plan to. I've been told it smells like the former contents of the intestine during cooking. YUCK!

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
You would have given him a time to call for dinner with his wife in tow, run into the kitchen and whipped up "Romanian Beef Stew" to serve them!
LOL NOPE what she had in the pot WAS Romanian Beef stew. She gets to name it and like Welsh Rarebit and Mountain Oysters it doesn't have to have a bit of beef in it.

Yep theres nothing like kindness to take the mean spirited aback!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Or a Southern delicacy called "chittlin's." It's spelled chitterlings but called chittlin's. Almost as bad--cleaned hog intestine that is fried. Never ate it, never plan to. I've been told it smells like the former contents of the intestine during cooking. YUCK!
That it does!! I found that out the hard way when I worked in the mess hall. They were serving it for ethnic day and I opened up the steam kettle to stir them. The smell doubled me over and I had to run out the back door to let nature take it's course. Needless to say, I never attempted to eat them either.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Christine, we had a terrible neighbor for 10 years and I "out-niced" her, "killed her with kindness" at every opportunity just because I knew it really made her even angrier that I didn't respond in kind. She got mad at me one day and screamed "I don't believe a word I hear about you, woman!" I had to think about that one for a while. Obviously she'd heard I was a nice person and didn't want to believe it. What tickled us was that shortly before we moved from that neighborhood, she started building a new house on another piece of property she owned about a mile away. The realtor who helped with our sale was hired by another couple who bought the nasty neighbor's house. When it was all over, the realtor called us and asked how in the world we had survived that woman for TEN YEARS because she was so difficult during the negotiations for her old house. Truthfully, I was afraid what I would find every time I left and returned home even for a few hours. Once she hired someone to spray herbicide on our fence rows beside a public road because she thought they were messy when they were cleaner than hers. She did it because she knew I was an organic gardener. She threw lighted cigarette butts onto the mulch in my garden which was right beside a common fence trying to set the mulch on fire. And it was she who bragged about giving her neighbor's dog antifreeze shortly after our dog died suddenly of kidney failure. I'm well practiced at out-nicing other folk when it's necessary.
Oh my ... rarely am I caught speechless, but you've done it!

·
just me
1,770 Posts
I've been told if they smell that bad in the cooking process they weren't cleaned well enough. I smelled them being cleaned and that was enough for me.

Hoggie,

You done good!

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
:goodjob:

very nice job..

:)

Cindyc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts