Im in the goat binness!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by bob clark, Dec 24, 2006.

1. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

a lady in the next county custom butchers chickens, and we had her do a few for us in the past. she had been talking about getting into meat goats for a few years and had got a few does and a buck alittle over a year ago. well now she has a great looking bunch of kids. she is keeping all the little does but she said she would part with the billys. well, I am to go over and pick two billys i want and she will keep them and feed them till next fall. by next fall i will have the fence built and a few nannys found. I gave her 125.00 now and then another 125.00 in the fall. they look like they weigh about 60# now, so they should be plenty big enough to use by next fall. they are out of a 100% boar billy and 80% boar nannys. I am not concerned with papers at all. I think i got a great deal. they are full of meat and look growthy to me.

does that soud reasonable to yall?

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

For two, that sounds pretty good! Congradulations! Are you going to use both boys for breeding, or for meat? If you use them both for breeding, enjoy the smell... LOL!

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I am figureing on getting about 30 does,I also figure that it would take both young billys to make sure the does were covered well

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Congrats Bob! Pictures!! We like pictures!! :D

Kaza

5. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I shoulda took the camera with me. I dont know if it would make any diff but the lady is amish. I have heard they dont like photoes taken of them so i would ask before bringing it onto her place. shurly she wouldnt mind as long as the pixs were just of the goats :shrug:

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Unless you're going to show, papers are not really important in the meat goat business. You aren't keeping milk records and such.. Good luck and make sure you do a tight fence - my boers are much harder on the fence than the dairy girls. They will rub a weak spot until they can climb through, under, over - and they can jump higher too!

7. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

sounds like a good deal. 30 does...WOW. But I hear that is common when in the meat goat business. I guess that is how it is profitable.

8. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

"In the goat binness" LOL, Bob! Enjoy them goaties!

NeHi