Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Ahhhhh welcome to the club! I love our Jersey giants as well, so gentle (we have new little BOs as well they seem sweet) let me tell you though those 3rd year eggs are just HUGE, fewer but so much bigger!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, I also have 5 baby chicks (7 weeks old) that are much more spirited than these girls (and boy). They were sold to us as Dominique chicks when they were 1 week old but now every single one of them looks different. I think I have 2 Dominiques, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Black Sexlink and 1 that I cannot classify. In other words they are all mutts. Really cute mutts ... but very different personality than the BOs.

The one BO that is likely a rooster is a mix (BO mother but they were not sure who the father is). But he was just such a good looking bird that I had to have him and I felt better bringing home an even number of birds (Ok, I am a little OCD ... hehe).

·
Registered
246 Posts
We've got 8 BO two roosters and 6 hens, along with bunch of reds. We raised them from three days old and the roosters are just about as sweet as any we've ever had.

They're about 5 months now and love to be picked up and petted...we take them on "grasshopper" hunts in the huge front yard and they stay under my feet while I walk and stir the bugs up for them.

The hens are just as sweet and love attention and "treats". My older hens know the word and the newer ones see me come out the door and they all stand there and see something is thrown out to the older chickens and they think, "hey, this is pretty good...now, what was that word again?" Pretty funny.

Well, welcome to the club and don't forget to gives them names..like: Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Enchilada, Fried chicken...well, you get the drift...lol.

L

·
0 Posts
I always have liked buff orps. I also like light brahmas. Both of those breeds are calm, gentle, and pretty. Although now and again a buff roo will turn mean.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yep,they're awesome. I love mine. I also had a rooster in my 9 hens but i hand picked mine so it's my bad or good ,no he's sweet. He will let me pet him like a dog.I named him rooster.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yep,they're awesome. I love mine. I also had a rooster in my 9 hens but i hand picked mine so it's my bad or good ,no he's sweet. He will let me pet him like a dog.I named him rooster.
Strange that we all seem to name ours "rooster" also...and they know their names! I holler "rooster" and they both come running...can't decide which one to keep but the one is looking mighty tasty right about now...lol.

·
Enter farm name here
1,645 Posts
I've had several different types of layers in the past, but the BO's are my favorite for all of the same reasons mentioned above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts