Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have your attention, lol....with my new Black Berkey filters! :dance: :sing:

I am SOOOO glad I took the advice of all you smart people who recommended the Berkeys, posted links to sites that had them on sale, and gave me the links to the sites showing how to make my own housing for the filters. It could NOT have been easier to make the housing out of 2 five gallon buckets, and it is truly amazing to see that orange/brown, smelly well water turn into crystal clear drinking water!

I've been filling all of our many jugs (2-6 gallons) and bottles with clear water for storage as well as for immediate use. I love knowing that if we have a power outage and can't use the well (can't afford a genny yet, and it's too deep for a hand pump), we have plenty of fresh water on hand. If I'm going to store water, it might as well be good, clean water.

I do have one more question - should I still be putting bleach in the water from the Berkeys? Do I need as much as if I was storing tap water? What would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
... should I still be putting bleach in the water from the Berkeys? Do I need as much as if I was storing tap water? What would you recommend?
glad you got your system going and it's working well. when researching berkey's, i read somewhere that the filters can take food coloring out of water. haven't tried it to see if it's true, but it sounds impressive if true.

re:bleach
I have about 20 gallons stored just for me. I do not put bleach in the water. The plan is to rotate them. ('the plan', not the actuality! Been about 9 months since I filled them. but I haven't seen any visible scum in the stored water yet, and it's stored were I see it regularly.) Also, worst case, I could repour the stored water thru the berkey if it got gunk in it.

For me, my most likely scenario is a short term water outage (a few days). So I'd rather have water that tastes good.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to put a little bleach in it either. If I couldn't easily rotate the water, or was concerned about scenario's where I wouldn't have time/equip to re-filter the water, or had to bug out, then I'd probably put bleach in mine to extend the shelf life and be extra sure, rather than worry about the taste.

--sgl

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boy, after seeing the stuff it is taking out, I wouldn't doubt the food coloring filtration. I guess I was more concerned about keeping the jugs and bottles from growing anything that might make them unsuitable for future water storage, in the event that for some reason, I wasn't able to refilter the water. I do intend to rotate, so I guess I can just keep an eye on the jugs and see what happens. Worst case, too, I do have a creek and a river close enough to go fill buckets and bring home to filter if we need more water than what I store and what runs off the barn roof. I just like knowing we have multiple options. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts