I'm In a Rifle Rut

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Jan 2, 2005.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in a rut when it comes to rifles - have a 22, a 22 magnum, a 22 hornet, and a 308.

Need a good bolt action or semi-auto in a size larger than 22, but smaller than 308. Recommendations??

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'de consider a marlin or winchester lever action 30/30. Good close range deer rifle with a scope and all around varmit rifle. I dispensed with coyote when necessary at 100 yd. with it effectively, as well as a nice large whitetail buck at about 70 yds. The fist shot fell him. This rifle I liked because it was handy to get at and not heavy. With a sling you can walk long distance hungting with it. Plenty of killing power for what I would need around a homested hear, except maybe a large bear or moose. Then, I would reach for 30/06 bolt action.

3. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

The 30-30 is a short range weapon at best. It still serves the original design as a scabbard gun that is fast handling but that is all. There are many great guns out there but it would help to know what your intended use was.

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Rem 243 smaller caliper, very flat tridectory, and high bullet speed. Use mine for everything from varmints to mule deer. Even got 1 elk with it but that was only a 100 yard shot or I wouldn't have tried. When I need something bigger I grab the 7mm mag.

5. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

What about one of the new "super short magnums"? A lot of this is marketing hype, but my dad has been trying out a couple of guns in 243 WSSM and I have been getting some inquiries from guys about the 25 WSSM. The 243 version shoots very well and might be worth a look.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/features/detail.asp?ID=74

6. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I'll vote for the .243 as well. The flat trajectory is the ticket.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

To do what? I'm itching to get a Ruger Deerfeild in 44 mag, to thump coyotes with.

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

The rifle i am goona have will probably be built on a model 98 mauser action, with a barrel chambered for 22-250.... my dad in law made one and loads for just about any game up to large mule deer, for bear and elk he uses an 8mm or 7x57. I have 6.5x55 swede mauser that is good to 1500 yards open sights... however havent found any range that has 1500 yards available to sight it in yet.... about 500 is all i can get around the cultural hub of the universe but it is pretty good at 300-400 and flat shooting with 160 grain match bullets. even the 143 grain i have does really well for an old pre 1900 firearm.

The 22-250 can be loaded with various size projectiles from 27 grain with a coule grains of powder behind it for shooting chickens to working up to a full deer load with a 43 grain projectile.... and inbtween you have a range oflpads available for different ranges and varmits sizes..... throw a good scope on it and your distance can be out there a ways..... I know several deer taken at over 400 yards with the 22-250 in a single shot [its the nut behind the butt that makes the difference].

I have used a 30-30 wcf with a peep sight since i was legal age to obtain a permission slip from the FaG department of Idaho, and have taken enough deer to fill each and every tag i purchased in last 30 years of hunting, from 30 feet to 250 yards.... My grandad had an old octagon barrle 30-30 that killed a deer at 560 yards [he stepped it off] but not everyone is good enough to do that with a 30-30. The more you shoot, the better you get and know your firearm limitations.... learn from benchrest shooters how to maximize you firearm for distance shooting.

The 243 is alright for some things, it does shoot flat but is limited in energy at distance for some reason is not efficent with the powderc usage as some other cartriges are. I did consider it at one time when still learning about firearms as a teen.

William

9. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

my vote goes to the 6.5x55 swede-it'll handle almost anything you need.Very accurate,low recoil, flat shooting,and one of the highest sectional densities around.I've dropped over 20 deer and the odd bear-wouldn't hesitate to use it on a moose.No point in getting a big thumper unless you can shoot it without flinching.Bullet placement is worth infinitely more than bigger bullets

10. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have shot a Remington 700 BDL .270 for about 35 years. I have used it, with different loads, on everything from groundhogs to elk, including a lot of deer. If I had it to do over again I would buy exactly the same thing. This rifle has served me very well, every deer taken has been a 1 shot kill, but I don't attempt foolishly long shots, and am very picky about bullet placement. I hand load my ammo from 90 grain hollow points for varmints, to 150 grain round nose bullets for large game. I think it is one of the most versatile calibers, and the Remington 700 one of the best rifles available.

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I too, am in the rifle rut. However, I have already determined a Savage 16FSS with an accu trigger in the 270 WSM caliber version will give me the leverage to get out of the rut. :) I already have a 270 in a Browning A bolt and as stated above the 270 is the best all around caliber for me. Reference the charts on the WSM to see an incredible projectile.

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I just put a new folding stock and lightweight furniture and US made dual hook trigger group on my AK clone and am finding it a very handy rifle. It is short and light to pack around and can whack stray dogs, coyotes and about anything else out to 200 yards or so with the iron sights. I had a rear cover mounted scope for deer season that was remarkably accurate but too heavy for daily work. I need something light that will attach to the front gas tube but I haven't found a mount yet. A trijicon sight if I can find a mount that I want.

About as rugged as any rifle ever made, reasonably accurate out to a couple of hundred yards, 30/30 class ballistics and with the folding stock it is really short and handy. Plus it is really, really, really fun to shoot. A case of cheap russian ammo can make for an incredibly entertaining saturday afternoon.

13. Critter183

Critter183 Well-Known Member

I like my Ruger M77 in .243.

Also a nice, cheap, super accurate and extremely well made bolt action is the 6.5MM Swedish Mauser M-96. I bought mine for $159 in unfired condition a few years ago.

14. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Yucca, you didn't really say what you wanted the rifle for...could help us help you. Is it for varmints, deer, big game, or just something to shoot? More details please.

15. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

WHY??? What for? We can throw a lot of different calibers at you but what for? Bolt or semi? Want fast shooting or precision? Hunting or plinking? Need more to go on. Noise a problem? A woman or youth using it ... too much kick?

16. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

The 6x55 is a nice round, I have a Swede myself. However, Remington makes a factory round with a .264 bullet in a necked down .308 case that will do anything the Swede will, at the same recoil levels.

The outstanding aspect of the 6.5 rifles, is their ability to pentrate with standard bullets. This is primarily due to the high sectional density combined with a smaller meplat. Which is fine, because I like a hole going in, and one going out.

If you'd like something really unusual, have a good smith chamber you a 6.5-06 in a VZ24 action, and blow out the shoulders as in a P.O. Ackley improved version. Sit a 120g Barnes XLC on top of that (assuming the rifle will shoot it well), and you have magnum performance at '06 recoil levels.