I'm going to ask a very sad, depressing question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ccolon, Sep 11, 2004.

1. ccolon

ccolon Member

I have been interested in homesteading for several years and am currently saving and considering where I might like to buy some property. Here is a question I have for anyone who might wish to respond....

For those of you who have purchased acreage on which to homestead, has the threat of someone detonating a nuclear weapon ever entered into your thoughts? I know that's an awful question and probably one that most haven't even contemplated but when I look at the trends in the world today, the animosity which so many people feel for Americans and their increasing abilities to strike us here, I feel it's inevitable that sometime, somewhere in the future someone will explode a nuclear device in this country, either a conventionally launch missile or a bomb brought into the country.

I've done some research on radiation patterns and it appears that areas within about 200 miles of an explosion are hopelessly contaminated for about 10 years (longer, the closer the land is to the explosion). Honestly, has this entered into anyone's considerations about homesteading? I know this is a morbid topic and I promise I am not a pessimist but the thought of that possibility really bothers me.

I would appreciated any good comments or feedback on this sad topic.

2. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Not morbid- realistic, says this child of the 50s who was raised in Washington DC and no longer lives there because I've known since the 60's that 9-11 was coming.
    I not only considered possible targets for weaponry but also nuclear power plants and their possible sabotoge from terrorists or mismanagement. (Did you know the nuclear reacot at the Northanna River Nuclear Power plant in Virgina actually straddles a fault line/?

I ruled out major cities such as DC, NY, LA, Dallas, Boston because of potential terrorist sites.

I tried to stay 50 miles away myself from potential problems. Of course, right now I'm about 30-40 miles away from a minor airbase but on the other hand I don't have my acreage purchased yet. I would say my problems would depend on which way the wind was blowing if McDill, McCoy or Patrick AFBs bought the farm.

I have considered since the early 70s that a suitcased size "dirty bomb" is more of a realistic potential problem then nuclear missile delivery.

Have you considered that no matter where you go, there will be problems? My home state, Florida, is preparing for its 3rd hurricane strike in a month. Many areas have falling groundwater levels and are in drought status for years now. Many areas are prone to earthquakes. There is a tremendous magma "bubble" bowing the ground upward in the yosimite area and during prehistoric times, that area was the site of tremendous volcanic explosions and lava flows covered THOUSANDS of miles of land.

You decide what are the risks you are willing to run. You prepare for those risks and hope the unexpected catastrophes don't happen- such as an asteroid impact.

Some people say that an asteroid impact would bury Florida beneath tsunamis hundreds of feet high. I would hope that the contental shelves and the bahamas banks would cause cresting and breaking of any tsunami so we would only experience the waves run after breaking. But as the asteroid scenario implies, you can't guard against EVERYTHING.

Besides, have you ever considered that in a nuclear strike the dead ones might be considered the lucky ones???

3. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

In the first place, let me point-out that a domestic terrorist strike with a spohisticated neculear weapon is unlikely. Despite what you may have heard on the news, such weapons are not within the reach of terrosist groups. They don't have the money, the raw materials, the matalurgy, the technology in general, nor the means to deliver such a weapon.

If an necular weapon is to be used by a terrorist group it will undoubtably be one of the 'dirty bomb' variety, where necular waste is spread over a relatively small area. A dirty bomb attack will not have the results you are concerned about.

You can't plan your life with a doomsday outlook. If you try to, you will soon realize that planning with a doomday outlook means that there is no point in planning at all. You must have faith that conditions at your homestead (or whereever you live) will continue to be pretty much the same.

4. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

During the weeks after 9/11, I thought about it a lot. I devoted a fair amount of time to reading about emergency preparedness--biological, chemical, and radiological--and to putting together basic supplies. However, the more I learned about the morbid fallout (no pun intended) of these various catastrophies, the more preoccupied and unhappy--I mean REALLY unhappy--I became. There's something really creepy about going to buy idodine tablets (I did it), but when you start perseverating about digging pits with air supplies and making homemade geiger counters, the whole thing starts feeling really sick.

Ultimately, I think I mentally drew a line between what I was WILLING to prepare for and what I'm simply going to put out of my mind. My honest response is that I'm not going to sacrifice the little time I have on this earth worrying about a scenario so awful that I wouldn't want to survive it anyway.

Ccolon, your question is a good one. I just hope you're not letting your fears stand in the way of having a good life.

5. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

When I was a kid (long ago) in Rural PA the local hardware store owner was terrified of a nuclear attack. He lived every day fearing it would be his last -built large bunkers and worried constantly.

After many years of this, he was up on his roof fixing a gutter, fell off the ladder and died. A few years after that Russia (who terrified him the most) crumbled.

The moral of the story? While there may be threats and dangers it doesn't make a whole lot of sense living your life in fear of them. You go through your life miserable about something you have absolutely no control over.

It was the cold war in the 50's and 60's now it's "homeland security", those in power using fear to justify creating entire new beauracracies. Telling people to stock up on duct tape and plastic??????

I got my homestead a year ago yesterday. I plan on enjoying it to the max for as long as I am able.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It is depressing if you dwell on end of the world and no tomorrow scenarios. You can waste your life saying 'what if'. Or you can take each day as it comes and try to do your best for that day. We cannot see what the future holds, why cry for the milk not yet spilt, any more than for that which was already spilt? If I have only a few tomorrows left or many, what is that to me today? I truly only have today, to do good or ill.

7. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

There is a fault line that runs from the wash/oregon area all the way down across the norther part of the pan handle of FL. I saw this in a vision one day back in 1992 that it would cut off the auqifer for the fresh water. so, I guess it isn't safe down there either.

Do you remember a couple of years back (hmm, that would have probably been about 8 yrs) that there was a big ground rumble that shook houses up in Winter Park and some other places. Our area got some serious shaking but nobody from our area called it into the news. We lived in the Union Park area and we thought there was an earthquake. My neighbor came outside crying after it was over it scared both of us because the house shook so violently.

THEY SAID (the media) that there was no seismic activity going on. I still find it odd that over 50 miles in range can feel the ground shake and their houses shake and there is no 'seismic' activity. The only other option it could be is the largest sink hole in history is getting ready to open up and swallow several hundreds of thousands of people and their homes and cars.

We don't live there anymore.

8. breezynosacek

Now that, I can agree with! I think that if the awfulest of those things happened I'd be hopin the Lord would take me on home anyway.

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't dwell on it.

1. It's not likely a sophisicated weapon will come, as someone said. Just a messy local dirty bomb, and that will be placed somwhere 'flashy' like the airplanes. I assume you won't be homesteading in a large downtown city, so just by homesteading out in the boonies you will be fine.

2. If a real bombing hit with the big toys, might we be better to be at ground zero? You've had a good life, you won't know what hit you. Why worry about it?

3. Think of good things, go on with your life, and don't worry too much about things you can't control. West Nile, Lyme's, a lightening bolt, twister or hurricane are more likely to get you. For gosh sakes stay away from automobiles!!!!! :) :) Just trying to point out the lighter side - I guess! :)

--->Paul

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My, this topic brings back memories! :)

I was born in the 50's, and I have a real gut reaction to the thought of nuclear war.

Then, I deliberately push it our of my mind. There is *NO* place on this continent that is really safe. And, a tornado, ice storm, hurricane, or earthquake is FAR more likely to happen than a terrorist attack.

I am not saying that a nuclear bomb COULDN'T happen, I am saying that it is not LIKELY to happen.

I always have a few canned goods in case of disaster or in case the power goes out (again :rolleyes: ), and I do NOT worry about it. Sometimes the mind has to tell the stomach what is likely to happen. And, a nuclear bomb is not only unlikely, it is even MORE unlikely to be used in a semi-rural area like Kansas.

11. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

i and my family will die - you and your family will die - accept this fully and you will not be OVERLY concerned with how - life is for living, not worrying

12. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be more worried about the railroad track nearest your home. There is more a likley hood some dangerous chemical is be transported by on a regular basis than a nuke. Terrorist are not going to have a true bomb, maybe a dirty bomb but not a full scale nuke. If a full scale nuke is used, were you live is going to change regardless if its 200 miles or 2000 miles.

13. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Grandfatherbear pointed out no-one would've figured on the federal building in Oklahoma City being a (homegrown) terrorist target either.

Anyway, like I said, I've considered the risks I'm willing to run and since I no longer have children at home I am no longer stocked with a small bottle of iodine solution. (Nuclear power plant accidents are most likely to result in cancer of the thyroid in about 20 years in children who were in the plume of the discharge. I'll be in my 70s by the time a thyroid cancer would show up. On the other hand, I advised my daughter, who lives 18 miles from a nuclear power plant, to keep a bottle of supersataurated iodine solution on hand and administer 6 drops in a glass of water to herself and the children should there be a discharge)

Being physically prepared for a week or two without stores and power and being mentally prepared go a long way to making me feel safe in a possibly not probably unsafe environment.

14. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"Ultimately, I think I mentally drew a line between what I was WILLING to prepare for and what I'm simply going to put out of my mind. My honest response is that I'm not going to sacrifice the little time I have on this earth worrying about a scenario so awful that I wouldn't want to survive it anyway. "

My sentiments exactly. Find a place you love and enjoy it. I don't like big cities so I am as far away as I can get from one and still have the climate and terrain I like.

15. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

We live about 10 miles from Bangor Nuclear Subbase, which I read is the third largest nuclear arsenal in the world. When it goes, we go, which is just fine with me. I don't want to live in the glowing, skin-peeling, tumour-filled world which would be left.

16. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Has it ever entered my thoughts? Sure. Do I worry about it? No. If it is going to happen it is going to happen but life is not worth living if you are going to live in constant fear or worry of something. Go where you want to go, do what you want to do, and if something should happen at least you'll go out a happy homesteader ;)
    We aren't the only country with a whole bunch of deadly goodies but I doubt that the other countries that have them would use them and I doubt that a group of petty terrorists could get the cash and equipment together for something huge like a nuke or something like that.

17. bulldinkie

bulldinkie Well-Known Member

since 9/11 Im sure everybody thinks about it.If its gonna happen its gonna happen.You wont know it if it does so why worry about it.worry about getting over today.

18. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

And there's still more of a risk of dying in your automobile every day.

There have always been dreadful risks in the world. There are just more people to do the worrying, and more publicity of all the trauma.

Ok, my simpleton theorizing is done.

Michelle

19. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Hate to disallusion you but you could very carefully measure all the distances from major nuclear targets and then be killed by some space debris falling out of the sky.
    I'd be looking for a place in a rural community[ if that's what you like] where the crime rate was low and you could have a few chickens in the backyard.Someplace where you said ''hello'' to your neighbours and they said ''hello'' back.Some place where the people atthe library, grocery store and drug store knew you by name.Some place where you knew the town cop and he would bring homew your kid if he got out of line, and you didn't need a lawyer.Some place where the fishing was good, and the air smelled of pine trees -that didn't come from an air freshener.
    I wouldn't worry about neclear devices or terrorists-if for no other reason that;s what they want you to do.

20. breezynosacek

That is what terror in the word terrorist is all about! They make sure you are good an afraid by lurking around and doing some threats that dont' follow through and then when they know they have gotten you afraid and looking over your shoulder all of the time they sit back and laugh. Then when they see you relax, they go 'BAM!!!' and somebody is dead.

Their purpose is not to kill people. They want to cause terror. Intimidation is the beginning of terror.