I'm getting a sawdust toilet!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dawndra, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I've been after my husband for 2 years for a sawdust toilet. Our conventional toilet has "issues". He finally told me yesterday that he's going to make a composting toilet! I am so excited!

I told him that I wanted one when we build the house. It's going to be a basement house & that way we won't have to worry about making the toilet flush up. I understand that it can be expensive.

Not everyone that I know will be as excited as my homestead friends will be. I know that you all will undertand. :D

:dance: :dance:

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Honey, I am absolutely thrilled for you! I hate flush toilets. They ALWAYS have issues. With composting toilets you never get raw sewage on your floor or bubbling up in your bathtub or kitchen sink! I've had sawdust toilets and really think they are much better than flush toilets.

3. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

dawndra, i am also excited for you, jerry and i have talked about building our selves one, probably will when we move out of cousins trailer and into our own in 6 months. i did a search on them and found out all about htem.

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself is all keyed up about having one. I've used a privy nigh all my life and still enjoy the "long walk", but Herself doesn't care for the midnight stroll on stormy or -40 nights.

I bought Herself an electric composting toilet for $900; it was worthless.
    I then bought Herself an electric incinerating toilet for $1600; it works but one has to continually buy the paper liners and pay the electric bill.

The law has been laid down now; it's a sawdust toilet or I can get up in the middle of the night to empty the chamber pot.

Dawndra, congrats on stepping up in the world. :)

The MacEanruig clan are not far behind.

5. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Congratulations! I've been reading The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins and I've decided for the house we're building it's the only way to go. (Okay, a bit of an unintentional pun there! :haha: ) We have a portable outhouse right now but I'm hoping to get a sawdust toilet indoors before winter. :dance:

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

cyn LOL i have a composting toilet and have indeed had raw sewage on the floor, yuck! Compost toilets are great if you keep them working properly, obvously I was just learning about my Biolet Delux!

7. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I'm just going to have a 5 gallon bucket in a box with a hole cut out & a seat put on. I'll remove the bucket & dump it as needed.

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Dawndra: That 5 gallon bucket sounds like it would work every bit as good as the complicated ones. Each time a conventional toilet is flushed you say goodbye to 5 gallons of (hypothetically) clean water. Multiply times four people flushing 4 times a day and you have 80 gallons a day wasted.

Will you use sawdust or wood chips or leaves? How will you store these until needed? Keep us posted.

9. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Do any of you that have these toilets have city friends that visit?? I can just imagine their faces if they have to use one of these sawdust toilets, should be worth a laugh or 2 to see their faces.LOL.

Carol K

10. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Some of our good friends pay no mind to our privy, some of our "other" friends just stay and visit until nature calls. I kind of works out; don't you think?

11. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

He's going to take the space (about 3 1/2 feet I think) where our toilet now sits and make a bench there that will have a door on the front to access the bucket. On the side will be a compartment where we will keep the sawdust & a plastic cup. We'll just use regular sawdust.

We cut wood for heat & a friend (swampdweller) told us that if you place a bucket just right, your dust from your saw will go right into the bucket. We also have a sawmill about 5 miles away. We have 15 gallon drums that dh gets from work. We'll keep like 2 filled with sawdust & I'll just bring it in to refill the bin as needed.

My town friends will be glad, I think, because now, they have to use a plunger to flush. I HATE that! And if they don't like it... I frankly don't care. They coome to see me, not my toilet, right?

hehe.. maybe now they WILL come to see my toilet.. hehe

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

that might be true, but honestly on a homesteading board, they might be coming to see your toilet , and not you .....
    how strange are we!!

13. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We have all the components to build one right now, but I think DH likes the idea in theory much more than in practice. :p

After reading The Humanure Handbook, I cringe every time I have to relieve myself in drinking water...

Pony!