I'm getting a green house

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by randy in central missouri, Feb 6, 2005.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I finally found what i'm looking for and boy did i get a deal. I was talking at work about wanting
    a greenhouse and a lady said i have way for you. I finally went to look today and i said sold, i didn't even try to bargain. $1000, in a jiffy. 21 x 49. It was a wal-mart greenhouse. but they made the store into a supercenter and built the big greenhouse. It comes with shelves on both sides, shelves in the middle. 500 concrete blocks to hold it down. Plastic was just put on last year. a truck load of pots, heater, fans, fertilizer mixer and drip irragation system. Its huge and looks brand new. I about had a heart attack, when i saw it. I was looking at paying alot more to get this started. I plan on sinking it in the ground with concrete, instead of using the blocks to hold it down, maybe i can build a display for my road side stand with the concrete blocks. i am in high heaven. But i wish that i could get the thing moved today, but i have to set up a place for it. I might do gravel, but i might even do concrete as i'm saving so much.

randy

2. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

Sounds like you just won the mini lottery. It's good to hear you can still find deal like that out there.

Nik

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Congratulations. I wish I could find one like that. I've always admired them.

4. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

congrats sounds like you hit the jackpot :)

5. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Lucky bugger. Almost feel guilty don't ya?

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Way COOL! You were sure in the right place at the right time! Have fun!

7. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Good deal Randy. Use it in good health.

Mike

8. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Wow!!!!! How awesome. Congratulations on finding such a bargain. :D

9. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Cool! I get my new greenhouse in March, courtesy of the nice poker players last December when I won $2000 first place in a tournament! ;-)

It's not near the bargain you got though - congratulations!

10. homestead2

homestead2 Member

Of all the things I have acquired in my life, the greenhouse is one of the [/I]few things that was as rewarding as I thought it would be.

Vegetables, flowers, season extender - the sky is the limit. ENJOY!

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Throw in a few rabbits in cages to help heat it up and save space for your jacuzzi. May as well enjoy starlit nights with a glass of wine. Besides, if you are happy, the plants will be happy, too. Rabbit poop is like black gold for those plants.

12. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Sounds like an awsome deal. I ordered a greenhouse frame from FARMTEK last fall because they offered me free shipping. I still have not put it up, and I need to order plastic. It has enough frames for a 14' X 96' greenhouse with frames 4' on center. I think I am going to make 2 14' X 48' greenhouses instead. I am really anxious to get it up. Now, just to find some extra time to do that. Congratulations.

13. randy in central missouri

i'm toying with the idea so setting it up on the south end of my house. i have a outside door that i don't use much and i could walk right out into my green house. good idea or bad? i have vinel siding on that side of the house. any one want to help move it?

14. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having an attached gh to the house. HOWEVER, trying to attach it from the outside after the fact would probably not be a good idea. The first thought that occurs is that there will always be damp right up against the house. This is not a good thing.

The second thought is that you really want to have good ventilation in the summer especially. I open all the sides, both ends, and will put shade cloth on the top of mine for the summer. In spring and fall, I will open everything up during the day and button it down in the evening.

Were I in your situation, I would put it out at least four feet from the door and put a wood or stone path to the gh.

You are going to have so much fun.

15. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

You could also put a pergoda over the walkway and cover it with vines.

16. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Something like wisteria would be really cool.

Congrats on the find. You gotta love it when a deal like that happens.

Jim in MO

17. randy in central missouri

What have i done. I started today. i got a truck load of 4 x 4 clear panels that go on the sides. that and a whole lot of pots filled up the truck. I think its going to take alot of trips to move this. Just the blocks alone will weigh 5 ton. I was hoping to move and get it going this spring, but don't think it will happen. But i am still so excited.

randy