Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yippee, I'm getting a dishwasher! We had one in our last house, but since we moved her a year ago March, it's been just my own two hands. :) I miss it!

But lest you think "Oh my, she's not supposed to keep buying stuff, she's broke!" Don't worry...it's free!

I went to the big fundraiser we held for my daughter's cheer squad last night. It was a horse race party...guests actually bet on horses (on a videotape) it was a lot of fun and made tons of money! (Note: I bet exactly two dollars, and lost. Big spender. :))

I'd been reluctant to go though...felt that most of the cheer moms are a bit snobby, I'm new and didn't feel like I fit in. What a surprise when one of the moms who I thought was among the worst of the bunch really warmed up to me and turned out to be an actual nice person. :)

But there is some benefit to living amid people who consume conspicuously.... When they moved in, they decided they didn't want a black dishwasher, and bought a white one to match their other appliances. :rolleyes: They say it's about 3 years old. Fine with me! My appliances are cream, but who cares? It's a dishwasher! Besides...most of them have pieces on the front that turn around with another color on the backside...maybe our dishwasher donors don't know that? :p The dishwasher that came with our last house was like that, it was black, but the faceplates flipped around to cream, matching the appliances that were already there too -- I guess the previous owners didn't know about it either! Bwahahahaaaaa!

DH is on vacation next week (yeah, he just had a two-week vacation...sheesh, they treat 'em good at the old USPS) and promises to get it installed then...we're going to pick it up today I hope...yippee!

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
After we got our dishwasher three years ago, there's no turning back! LOL
And someone else's "don't likes" sometimes can turn into a blessing. For instance, we had a fridge that died and it was going to cost a minimum of $150 to fix. We didn't have the money to buy a new one. Even though that one was only a couple of years old. My dad said we would be better off getting a new one. Since he's big on having stuff new with a warrenty in case it breaks. He went to the appliance store he and my mom always shopped at when they needed something new. He got a brand new Amana 18 cubic fridge for $600. It retailed over $1100. The customer ordered white, and after it came in decided they wanted to go with cream colored instead. Oh well, I wanted white anyway, and so dad got it for us.

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
anniew said:
A dishwasher! You are now disqualified to be called a homesteader. Just kidding...kinda.

Nope you're only disqualified as a homesteader if you have the Maid load the dishwasher!! ;) :hobbyhors :p

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Yep, free is always a good thing! When our middle Daughter and her Hubby bought their last home it had a built-in dishwasher. She had a portable one that Mom (that being me) inherited. I love having a dishwasher and my Hubby loves it even more than I do. Since it is portable he has more space to put his "junk." LOL

southrngardngal-Jan

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I LOVE my dishwasher!!!! it cam with the house when we bought it and it didnt work so well so we replaced it.....the only appliance left to replace is the stove....I am going to try to get one with income tax return....we nearly did it last year BUT we couldnt agree on the one we wanted....and the existing elec range still works just fine

Rachel

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Dishwashers actually save energy over handwashing. That's how it added up in my anal energy audit a few years back.

I love mine. Especially because I can scald and steam the dishes in a way that would never be possible in a sink with hands. They come out much cleaner.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would love to have a dishwasher. I used to until I moved here. I would need to have a portable one and see them all the time on freecycle. Unfortunatly I can't get it in my car and don't know anyone with a truck. Hopefully soon someone nearby will be getting rid of one and I can just push it home.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it -- it's a GE Potscrubber, looks to be in fine shape, just a teensy bit of rust on the basket. Yes, looks like the front panels can be flipped around, but we haven't really investigated that yet. :) It's in our garage.......

Now as I said, DH is on vacation next week. He says he WILL get the pool installed next week because everything is actually READY. He even told me to order the sand. But if it rains, it's dishwasher time! Yikes, I can't decide which I want installed first! I think the dishwasher....because it's too late to swim anyway!

·
Registered
934 Posts
You will LOVE it.I was given a dishwasher a year ago but we just got around to hooking it up about 3 weeks ago.
I love love LOVE it! I was spending SOOOO much time washing dishes I could NOT stand it anymore.
One way you can save money/water/electricity is to only run it when it`s very full..I`m sure you know...ENJOY!

Sharon

·
Premium Member
18,414 Posts
It is so imteresting to me to consider the vast range of homesteaders we have at this forum. At one end of the spectrum we have those who cannot live without the epitome of modern, energy–demanding appliances...a dishwasher... and at the other end of the spectrum we have those who are tickled to death to find an ancient woodburning cookstove to use in thier kitchen. Life would be boring if we were all the same. :)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Selena said:
I have one for the first time in my life (my mom never had one either). To me, it is an excuse to dirty more dishes.
Or the freedom to cook a gourmet dinner and not have to suffer through another 45 minutes to clean it up after you've stuffed yourself to the bursting seams. :baby04:

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cabin Fever said:
It is so imteresting to me to consider the vast range of homesteaders we have at this forum. At one end of the spectrum we have those who cannot live without the epitome of modern, energy–demanding appliances...a dishwasher... and at the other end of the spectrum we have those who are tickled to death to find an ancient woodburning cookstove to use in thier kitchen. Life would be boring if we were all the same. :)
That's because there is no one, definitive meaning of "homesteader."

Some of us grew up in suburban or even city environments just about the opposite polarity from homesteading and are learning everything as we go along. It doesn't come naturally, but we're getting better as time passes. Also, some of us have to do other income-generating work besides farming in order to pay for it all, which takes a lot of time.

So, something like a dishwasher, automatic dryer, microwave, etc. helps me and people like me manage our time so that we can find the time for more "homesteading" type tasks such as gardening, canning, sewing, animal care, cooking from scratch, etc.

The way I see it, one of the main points of homesteading is to BE ABLE TO get by without modern conveniences...in other words if I was suddenly thrust into a primitive situation I wouldn't be completely lost and helpless. But that doesn't mean I have to live that way daily.

I would also be tickled to find an ancient woodburning cookstove to use in my kitchen. I just don't think I would want to cook on it every day.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Cabin Fever said:

and then there are those who would be tickled to have both...like me...but then I`m easily amused :)

Sharon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.