I'm Flooded!

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by MoonRiver, May 6, 2018.

1. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

I am at Cape Hatteras for a few days and the campground is under water. It has been raining hard all night and still going to rain all morning. Water is only a few inches from coming into the trailer. Have no idea what I am going to do. Will have to try to hook up trailer in about a foot of water to try to get out.

Will try taking some pictures when the sun finally comes up. About 4:30 am now.

ETA: 5 am - raining even harder. Can't even make coffee because I turned the propane off last night. I bet the road off the island is flooded as well. I wonder how the tent campers are doing about now or if they all left during the night.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    COSunflower and Solar Geek like this.
  2. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

This sounds like a scary situation - hoping you got out okay.....

COSunflower and RichNC like this.

3. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Moon: Let us know how this works out. Don't know the topo there, so cannot figure out how the campground flooded, but I've known of disastrous floods here in Ark where people were trapped in campgrounds.

COSunflower likes this.
  4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Let us know when you are safe!!

5. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

didn't you know last night this was coming MR and could move then. you must have rubber boots with you to go out and turn on the propane. I'd walk out in bare feet to get my tea going. I don't know, I always take rubber boots with me in the vehicle.

NB is pretty bad today also. I think some highways are closed, homes are flooded etc. if I happen to flood where I am there's no chance for anyone below me. ~Georgia

6. MoonRiver

The water was about 8" deep in my site and about 4" from coming into the trailer. I tried taking pictures, but it was too dark.

I had to hook the trailer up and I backed up perfectly under the hitch ball the 1st try. That could have been a lot of fun lining it up by myself in the rain and water, so was really happy it lined right up. Waded to back of trailer and raised the stabilizer legs. I thought my electrical cable might have gotten wet and wouldn't work, but all my trailer lights were OK. It could have been pretty bad, but for once, Murphy was no where to be found.

About 2/3 of the other campers must have left during the night. The tent campers that were still there had moved to the highest ground they could find and were OK. My best guess is the difference between a low part of the campground and a high part is only about 1'. I always stay in the same site if it is available because I have never seen it flood before. I guess topology changes every season.

I saw a few others like me that went to bed expecting a thunderstorm and woke to find their site flooded. The problem is the water table is so high that when it rains it takes forever for the campground to dry out and it was still wet from rain last week. The campground is separated from the Ocean by sand dunes.

This is the largest of the 4 campgrounds in Hatteras National Seashore, and the only one that doesn't have onsite rangers. In fact, when I got there, there were no envelopes to put my money in so I went up to the lighthouse information center to get some. The ranger couldn't find any and it was a couple hours before someone came out and restocked the envelopes. I was really surprised there weren't any rangers out there early this morning helping people get out. This was far beyond what National Weather Service was predicting because I checked just before going to bed. I think a squall must have just parked over us all night.

It was supposed to rain most of today and part of tomorrow, so I just headed home. I go for the sun and the beach and neither were going to be any fun for a while.

ETA: The road out wasn't too bad. It was flooded in spots, but I drove about 10 mph under speed limit and that gave me time to slow down whenever I saw the road was flooded. Even most other drivers were being cautious, which isn't the usual for Hatteras Island.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  7. jbardellini

jbardellini Member

That's not good moon stay safe and hope thing work out for you keep us posted . Sounds like a horrible situation

8. tiffanysgallery

tiffanysgallery Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad you got on your way without having to call for a tow truck. Not many times do I see campers get a tow but it happens.

Since I've been following the Bob Wells group, I've learned a lot about camping and one thing is to travel with the seasons if possible.

There are places you can camp where there's no one else around, they're kinda hidden. Once I tent camped at one, and the rain poured soon after set up, so I slept the night in my truck. It was my first time there, so I thought it would be safer to stay there, than to drive the dark roads out during a storm.

9. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

glad you got out safely MR.

10. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Moon; with water that high there is a high chance that water got into the wheel bearings of your camper, and possibly your truck. You might want to check everything for water damage. Work on the assumption that there is no such thing as a water-proof bearing.

Pulling the wheel bearings and re-greasing to be sure they are not full of water is a pain, but a lot less pain than dropping a wheel off on the highway. Now and then I see a trailer or truck stuck on the highway with a bad wheel bearing or a lost wheel.

COSunflower likes this.
  11. MoonRiver

I thought about that last night. It has the e-z lube system, so it shouldn't be much to regrease the bearings.

12. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

hmmmm Id either keep a better eye out for the weather, OR keep an eye out for a better camping place.

13. MoonRiver

I've been going camping there for over 50 years. The rain was considerably more than forecast. This was just one of those times that stuff happens.

RichNC likes this.
  14. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

They were forecasting heavy rains at the coast all week long due to an offshore low formation.
    Cape Hatteras got 3.25" overnight.
    Ocracoke got more than that.

15. MoonRiver

There was nothing from National Weather Service or Accuweather that mentioned heavy rain or coastal flooding. In fact, when I got up at 4 am Accuweather said it was not raining in Buxton, yet there was a torrential downpour going on. NWS had said rain Saturday night with possibility of a thunderstorm. Earlier in the week they had predicted sunny every day through the weekend or I wouldn't have planned the trip. I had planned to come back this Tuesday because that was when the weather was forecast to become overcast with chance of rain.

16. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

It's better to rely on local forecasts.

Which proves my point above.

Again, all the local forecasts said heavy rain along the coast Saturday night and Sunday due to an offshore low developing and a front coming in from the West.

We got all our outside chores done long before the rains started.

Next time check the forecasts on WNCT-TV's site.
    They get it right most of the time.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  17. DKWunlimited

DKWunlimited A year full of blessings Supporter

I know that I am an odd duck, but I like camping trips with a little adventure, it's what makes great memories. I spent a week camping in Colorado with non stop rain. 30 years later and my family still laughs at the memory of me holding an umbrella over my uncle frying fresh caught fish!

vickinell and RichNC like this.
  18. reneedarley

reneedarley Well-Known Member

In Sweden there is the right to roam. About 25 years ago I was doing a market in a fairly big(for Sweden) city. I was going to camp with my daughter. I drove into the countryside -further and further,not finding a suitable place to camp. It got dark and finally I found an open area. Not very nice but I just wanted a nights rest. We pitched the tent in the beam from the car lights. I got up early and imagine my horror and embarrassment to find we were on a military shooting range. I don't know how I missed the signs but I think we made a record packing gear and getting out of the area.

Twp.Tom and Wanda like this.
  19. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it is New Mexico here that you can camp along the highway just about anywhere, just have to be 15 foot off the road.

Problem in the US is that it changes by state, and sometimes, county by county.

Mon

20. ed/La

ed/La Well-Known Member

Probably tidal flooding from wind. Rain has ocean to drain into there.