I'm finally putting in a path.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by birdie_poo, Apr 25, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

We walk through our front yard to the bottom drive. I've been wanting, for years, to install a path. Well, I finally bought hardware cloth and some of the prefab stepping stones. I will put in good soil and put plants that can tolerate full sun (sedum) in the cracks between the stones. I will lay weed block, then the hardware cloth, then the soild, stones, more soil to fill in then the sedum.

The stones are the dark grey so they will match my house color. I think it will look really pretty. I'll start at the white lattice arbor (with a very agressive climbing yellow rose in full bloom), and work my way down the yard, little by little. I'll have little steps here and there to the fruit trees, but no obvious path to them. I'm getting so excited just thinking about it!!!

2. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

hey birdie, I am doing the same thing, only I am using thyme for a good smell. I am still worried about snow removal, it snows a lot up here. My stones aren't huge, since they are "found". I think it will look nice but i am worried about snow and winter foot traffic.
    Keep us posted on how it turns out.

3. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

My daughter and I are planning something similar, but we're using corsican mint and pennyroyal, as well as creeping thyme. All, nice and stinky! We're making our stones. We haven't quite figured out our arbor. Have fun!

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Well, I got the first 6 steps in and 6 little sedums. As I was looking at it, I realized this was going to be a long project, since I can only do 6-10 steps at a time (since I HAVE NO TIME). THen, looking at it, I realized I should probably put up edging to keep the top soil I am putting on top of the mesh and weed block in place. On the other side of that I will put that mulch edge that is made from recycled tires. It works really well around the fruit trees, so it should do good on the outside of the path, along the edging, that I now have to get.

Once I am done with that, I want to paint the porch. I think I will do a granite-look, since I know how to do that with sponges. I want the house to look wonderful when John comes home from Cuba...whenever that will be, so I better get a move on. I wont be able to do the stones when I'm big and fat.

5. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi there! I'm hoping to get back to the quilting stuff for you tonight. My grand-father has been very sick.

anyway! I've been working on a path too and think I have about 80 stones or so done so far. I can't tell you how nice it is having even the partial walk way back to the pig's house. with all the flooding I have, the area walking to their house has NO growth at all. so, it's fine when it's dry, but even one rain and it's gooey again. I'll lay like 5 or 6 stones at night on the nights that I can. This last weekend I laid 26 stones. when I'm done it'll be 350 feet long (I think, now I can't remember), so it's quite a task.

Please post a picture when you get done, yours sounds pretty. I hadn't thought about planting anything next to it, but that sounds nice.