Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading and some sources say elderberries are toxic while other sources cite elderberries as a "fair to good" forage for sheep. I'd like to have some plants, but don't want to make my sheep sick. Anyone have any personal experience with this combination?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have read anything but I haven't looked either. My personal experience, sheep will eat edlerberry bushes, as long as they are not too old. We have a very well established patch of wild edlerberry plants, about 20' by 30' area. Occassionally, usually in the spring, I fence my sheep in that area. My dw gets mad every time because they will eat all the new plants, some of the lower leaves and the bark of younger plants. Personally I think the sheep are keeping the patch under control so it doesn't spread too much.

Never saw any signs of stress from eating the plants. They like the shade it provides. I don't let them near it when the berries on ripe. My dw collects them for her tea, if the birds don't eat them first.....

So if you are just starting with some plants, keep the sheep away or they will kill it by eating it. My patch is very well established. It's still expanding even thou I had the sheep there in May. New plants have emerged in June. Observing the location of wild plants in my area, I can tell you it likes wet areas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts