I'm confused, how big before you eat?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bucklesbabies, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bucklesbabies

bucklesbabies New Member

Hello again, I just called a local meat processor (maybe not the guy to go to?) and he said he processes rabbits but he couldn't tell me how old they should be all he said was 15-25 pounds. Is that right?? That sounds really big. I was thinking we would be able to eat them before they were breeding age so we didn't have to have a lot of cages to separate each one. Any tips on how to find a good processor? Thanks!

2. cedargrove

cedargrove Well-Known Member

Your butcher had to be playing games with you, 4lbs is the best eating.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

He processes rabbits and thinks they're going to get that big? Is there someone else you can call?

I second 4 pounds which is roughly eight weeks old.

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Whoa, that would be one big rabbit! I'd be afraid of mine if they were that big! I butcher from about ten weeks +. Have to overcome the 'cute' factor........
    niki

5. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Did he mean you need 15-25 pounds all together after being processed? I think that may be his min. pounds in order to do it? Call him back and say you are maybe hard of hearing could he please repeat the quote to you . LOL

6. khowellrn

khowellrn Well-Known Member

We usually try to butcher between 8 and 12 weeks, (hopefully closer to 8, but sometimes we are busy!) 12 weeks is almost too old for my preference.

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

If I recall correctly, most processors prefer rabbits less than 12 weeks of age and weighing at least four pounds live. This would be considered a "fryer". Most fryers from a good commercial bloodline should weigh at least 4 lb. by eight weeks.

Personally, I like the flavor of an older animal...yeah, cooking is trickier to keep it from getting tough, but the taste...mmmm.

8. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I believe the man that I talked with said that the place he takes his to wants them to be at least 4 1/2 lbs and under 6 lbs. If over 6 lbs. he only will get 30 cents a pound for them. I think that he gets 95 cents a pound. if in the 4 1/2 and up to 6 lb. range.