i'm buying a green house and ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by randy in central missouri, Feb 6, 2005.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I posted about getting this green house on the main forum. but now i have question

1. concrete, gravel or dirt?
    2. dig water inside before i set it up?
    3. gas or wood stove?
    4. am i crazy to start so big? 21x49?
    5 help?
    6. ideas?

randy

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Our greenhouse is 12 x 12. We have a dirt floor. It is where the main water shutoff for the MH is located. DH put in lots of shelves and 2 doors with windows. Also a old bath sink with cabinets. We haven't heated because we don't start the tender plants til night temps are warmer. The cole crops are starting to sprout. Not sure if you need one that big. How big is your garden going to be? Are you selling to the public? Good luck; I love mine.

3. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Gravel would be cheaper and easier and help with drainage and humidity.

4. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I once put wood shavings on the benches to help catch water. The benches were covered with 1 x 2 wire.Plastic on top. After a few months the shavings on the floor were removed to compost, shavings on benches raked on to the floor and fresh shavings put on benches. This was in a school greenhouse that was homemaid with a relatively poor cooling system and the humidity helped.when I opened the door in each end.

venting is necessary with the gas as well as the wood. Gas is more labor efficient, of course all you need to do is keep the temp above freezing unless you are starting tender plants.

5. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

It is really handy to have water in the gh. I would start with two 30 x 96' cold frames and expand from there. I would put good soil on the ground except for paths, line the beds lengthwise (more growing space) Put benches higher up so light gets to the ground as well as the benches. I would be sure to put lots of trusses in order to have many hanging baskets, or grow tubes made out of 4-6' poly pipe. You'll be absolutely amazed at how fast you run out of room in your new gh.

Research the minimum temps you need to keep plants alive. Then hold your temps to a small range around that figure. Heating can be your biggest expense. Depends what you want to keep warm. If you don't plan to grow or protect anything from Dec 1-Mar 1, you don't need heat.

My current gh is 10 x 45' and about half finished. I have a possibility of getting a 20 x 40' one in the near future. I think I will heat the smaller one with a hotwater heater, pump and water under the benches. Also with chickens and rabbits.

I loved my cold frame (30 x 72') when I was in western WA. It was not heated, but I could sit in the gh almost year round and just take pleasure in it. I loved it. I had a couple chicken tractors in there. Even on grey days, it was in the 60's and 70's.

I know you will enjoy your new toy immensely!!

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Our greenhouse has landscape paper with two inches of pea gravel over it and this makes a good floor. Friends big greenhouse has 24" concrete paths between the four rows of benches with gravel between...'cause you know the weeds love the greenhouse environment,too!! We use milkhouse heaters in our small greenhouse but the one we are building this spring will have hot water heat from our outside wood boiler...should save considerably on the heating costs as we have 80 acres of woods to harvest. Still,the rise in electric bills is easily covered by plant sales and worth it to be able to raise so many varities since most local plant sources have the same old standard offerings. DEE