Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the 4H rabbit club meeting tonight. We were supposed to be getting a trio of Californians from the club leader right before Christmas. Tonight we found out that ALL but three of the 19 (three litters) died. The club leader's daughter is keeping the three for a meat pen for the local stock show next month. We're SOOOO disappointed! :Bawling:

They've already bred their does, which are due the first week of January, so we'll get some eventually, but my kids were REALLY looking forward to gettiing them in a couple of weeks instead of having to wait until February. :(

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
What happened that 16 of 19 died? It does not sound like a case of newborn popples chilling, since they would not have been of weaning age by Christmas. Are you sure you want rabbits from this rabbitry?

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happened that 16 of 19 died? It does not sound like a case of newborn popples chilling, since they would not have been of weaning age by Christmas. Are you sure you want rabbits from this rabbitry?
They were born about November 11 or 12th, so they would have been just over 4 weeks old now. One of the does didn't pull much fur, and then we had a bad cold snap while they were out of town on Thanksgiving Day. She accounts for 12 of the 19. Actually, now that I think of it, there were only two litters. 3 of 7 of the other litter survived. These are apparently champion lines, and the daughter has won many awards with their Californians.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

I'd not worry a bit about getting rabbits from that barn, I've had several times when I've lost several litters at once. Last summer I lost 12 litters in one day when the fans died off. Never lost another litter since then(also haven't bred but a few since), but with the cold it's common to loose whole litters at once.

Anyone else in the area raise cals? I had them for a while and miss them, but my barn just isn't set up for anything big. Great moms and awesome temperments. I'm adding another breed this year when I decide on one, but it's going to have to be small. Likely more havanas now that brokens are recognized.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Obviously I expressed myself badly. If it was chilling, then of course there is no reason to avoid getting rabbits there. I wouldn't have thought that the weather in early November in Texas would be that inclement.

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obviously I expressed myself badly.
No harm done!

I wouldn't have thought that the weather in early November in Texas would be that inclement.
Well, in our part of Texas (the Panhandle), we've already had two snows (including Thanksgiving Day, November 27 here this year), although we didn't get much (we're also pretty dry). Our overnight lows have been running in the teens and 20s for the last few weeks. It snowed here on Monday, and much of Texas got snow the next day!! So much for "global warming"!

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd take my stock from the doe who didn't manage to let her entire litter die, although 3 out of 7 isn't great odds either!
They did say that this is the second litter for the one who lost 12, and she did fine with her first litter. I don't recall now what they said about the other doe, but I don't think she's a first-timer, either.

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone else in the area raise cals?
Not really. The next closest is several hours away. There are some 4Hers about an hour away who raise meat pens for their county show, but then they sell them as soon as the show is over. Several of them bought from the same family we're planning to buy from, and we may be able to get some from that county show (mid-January). We'll at least go to the show and take a look. The man here (rabbit club leader's father) is going to that show, as well, and may be able to help us pick some out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts