I'm broken hearted :(

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ChickenMom, Sep 1, 2006.

1. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I went to look at the herd of Alpine dairy goats that the man has for sale. They are gorgeous!, beautiful udders, great teats, totally healthy. He refuses to sell me just one or two. He will only sell them all together. I could cry...

2. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

OH ChickenMom, go for it..... :rolleyes:

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can afford to, just buy them all and resell the ones you don't want -- the dairies pay anywhere from $150-300 each for good milkers.

Tracy

4. ChickenMom

I don't know of any dairies around here and I haven't seen much of a market for dairy goats. I don't know if I could sell them but I know I couldn't keep them all, there's 14. There are 4 does that are 2 to 3 years and 1 buck, the rest are younger and have not kidded yet. They all had twins or triplets this year except 1. So that is 4 proven does, 1 buck, 3 wethers, and 6 does ready to breed.

5. Tracy in Idaho

The dairies travel to buy. I sell to a fellow in California. They generally will only buy up to 2-3 yr old, and this time of year they will sometimes buy doelings too.

I don't know what area you are in, but someone here might be able to hook you up.

Tracy

6. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

I would go for it if I was you!! like some of the others have said - you could just keep the ones you want and resale the rest. Check it out and see if their might be any 4Hers in your area who might be looking for next years project. Good Luck!

prairie

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Where are you. I would love to buy a couple of the younger does once they are bred.

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Put the wethers in the freezer (or sell them for either meat or for packing), and that will cut your numbers down to eleven animals. Then you could probably quickly re-sell some of the extra does -- there are offers right here on this board, LOL! (Not from me -- I'm sticking with what I've got.)

Kathleen

9. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Where are you located? Maybe if your close enough I could take a wether or two...

10. ChickenMom

I'm in North Central Louisiana.

11. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Maybe you could keep in touch with the owner and if and when he sells them you could find out who he sold them to and approach the buyer to see if he/she/they will sell you one or two of the goats. Also be sure he knows that if he should change his mind for any reason, you are still interested in taking some of them.

Good luck!

MaryNY

12. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

I know if I was anywhere near being able to get that many goats, I'd be tempted.

But just wanted to remind you of all the other stuff before everyone gets you pumped up into "going for it".

Do you have proper space to seperate the new from your current goats? Even if you do plan on having some of the new ones only temporary. It would be just terrible to bring new goats in, they get sick (you know how goats get stressed just from moving), and then they get your current goats sick.

You might possibly have better luck selling the goats than this man did, but what if you don't? And how long might it take to sell them? Seems to me that you will need atleast 2 nice sized pens - AWAY from your other goats. Even if you only have them for one month, that's quite a few more animals to feed, possibly worm, trim hooves, maybe milk, and more than likely medicate for SOMETHING.

Not at all trying to be "mean". I haven't a clue what you're used to doing, how much money you have available, or what size your farm is. Just trying to remind you of the WORK involved. Goats are cute, and these guys are a good deal, but are you ready for the real cost (once you get them home).

13. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

I rescued a pregnant lamancha doe from the flea market as some people were looking at her to eat. I paid $100.00 for her and posted her on the internet. She was not registered and I listed her at $250.00 thinking someone would try to get me down off my price and a man from Oklahoma was traveling all over to stock his dariey farm and came to look at her. He didnt even want to go in and look her over he just said sold! and handed me $250.00 and said thanks she looks great. Of course I had fed her well and wormed her but had only had her for 3 weeks. I kinda wish I had kept her but she was eating me out of house and home. I only have pygmies and a bale of hay went from lasting 1 week to being gone in 3 days once she arrived. I would go for it and imediatly post the ones you dont want on the web and you reach lots of people willing to travel to get a good milk goat.

14. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I Pmed you Chickenmom....

Oh and I should have asked, are they horned?

15. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, if you were closer, if they were healthy and disbudded......I'd buy any you didn't want. But I'm in Missouri. :)

16. ChickenMom

They are horned. We were planning to disbud all of ours but out of 12 goats that we now have only the 2 kids from this year are disbudded. I guess I would have to leave horns on everyone to make it fair or keep them seperated.

17. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Ouch. All horned would be a big check for me. As I will not dehorn an older goat, I would say I'd have to pass on them. What a shame. That is probably a good reason for the price. Horned dairy stock are *much* harder to sell. :shrug:

18. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Wow if only he had taken the time to disbud. I would say pass! They will be hard to find good milker homes. Such a shame.

19. Tracy in Idaho

Bummer. I wouldn't want them horned, and neither will the dairies.

You could always band the horns on them if you wanted to take the couple of months to do it I guess.

Tracy

20. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky

Yes. Buy 'em and band 'em. You can sell them in the spring when they're freshened with the kids at thier sides. It will give you a chance to see who has the best milking manners and cull the others. :shrug: