im at a total loss,

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by beeman97, Mar 12, 2005.

1. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

ok here is the situation,
    as most know we had our 1st litter last sunday, making them 6 days old today.
    on day 3 it got very cold & i thought they got chilled, i found one down just laying there with tremors, i brought it in the house & got him warm & back on his feet & installed a light in the farrowing pen so it would not happen again. he was fine for a day & then he jsut went strait down hill till all he could do was lay there & squeal.
    I finally had to put him down because it was jsut to painfull to watch him suffer.
    all the others are running around fine & healthy i mean really fine ,, then the next time i go down to the pen bamm one is limping or carrying it's right back leg funny. then the next time i go down it can't even walk anymore. I have gotten a milk replacer & an trying to get them to eat on that hoping that it is just a shortage in momma' that is causing this. yesterday it was only 1 ,, then this am i find a 2nd one & now tonight on my last trip down there is a 3rd & the only thing i can see is the 1st stage is it starts to limp or carry it's back right leg funny. then by the next morning or night it is like there back end is parilized & they can't walk at all.
    can anyone help with this at all ,.,,, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like the mother is stepping or lying on the piglets.

3. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

beeman, isn't there a post here about a bacterial infection like that? It hits the back legs I think. There's a vaccination you can get if it's the same.

4. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I moved the thread (Epricyalisis or something like that) to the top. It probably isn't what you have but maybe it'll help.

5. beeman97

Mike i googled that desease & it appears to not be whats going on ,, i have no skin problems what so ever ,, they all look quite normal when it starts & there is no skin problems at all during the entire process.
    Horace,
    I would thinnk that too execpt mom is still pretty much immobile & only gets up when i prod her too. she had a really rather rough time of the delivery & the last 4 piglets had to be pulled for her to finish.
    also ,, the piglets get progressivly worse as time passes, to a point where they can't get up at all & just lie there squealing if touched at all by either me or there litter mates.
    Rick

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

this describes a neurological problem, involving some disease that attacks the brain or spinal cord. it is probably something along the line of meningitis, which can be either bacterial or viral. viruses are near impossible to kill, and must run their course. a vet can do a culture, and tell you if it is a bacteria, and what antibiotics will kill it.

8. beeman97

Agmantoo,
    Thanks for that link which got me to a place inside that site i was never able to figure out how to get too before,
    I have checked the menengitis sysptoms & they all fit to a T except the eye thing (NYSTAGMUS) My wife has worked for a vet her whole life 25 yrs in the business, she can diagnose this easily & she says they do not have this, she just checked them all.
    but i also checked all the other links to deseases which they say to look at while trying to diagnose with simular symtoms & that fits the closest ,,,not to mention that they all point to a course of penicillin as the treatment for most of them.
    On my way to the tractor supply to get a bottle to treat them all with, it wont hurt the ones that are showing no symptoms & it sure not gonna hurt the ones that are. so i see this as a no lose attempt.
    The good news this am is, that it has not appeared to progress any during the night & 2 that were on there way down are still on there way but still getting around, usually they would be all the way down from what the last 2 did. The one that is all the way down is suckling better on the bottle i give it & is showing some improvment in eating anyway.

9. agmantoo

Beeman, there were 2 links on the meningitis page that need to be read additionally. I feel that the penicillin will do the trick. Hope it works as I know how it is to lose livestock and to feel somewhat helpless. It is frustrating as h*lll.

10. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Oh Beeman, I'm so sorry to hear about your piglets. This is the part of being a homesteading newbie for me that is really hard. I can't imagine your distress about this. I hope you can find out what is wrong with them and can save a few of them. Good luck with them, and please keep us updated.

11. beeman97

Jackie,
    Thanks for the kind words,
    & for abit of an update here we go, the 1st shots of penicilin were given on Sunday at around 1 pm , by 7 that night all pigs were showing signs of improvement.
    shot #2 was given this am at 7 & when i got home at 4 this afternoon all 7 piglets were outside the pen, now 2 are still showing signs of the problem but they are up & moving around rather well & drinking milk replacer on there own, out of the pan instead of havng to be bottle fed.. the other 5, 2 of which were starting to show signs now appear totally 100% & are running all over the place like they should bee.
    it was a very good welcome home to say the least. i think i will give them all one more shot tomorrow morning & the 2 that are still abit down will get another shot on wed. I think im past it for the time being & hopeing it holds up.
    Rick

12. agmantoo

Beeman, be certain not to spread the problem with a dirty needle. I am happy to hear things are improving. I would continue with the penicillin following the directions on the label even after the signs of the illness have subsided. Thanks for the update.

13. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

So glad to hear they are doing better and hope they continue to improve. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. I have only raised them once, last year and didn't have to much trouble with them. But I never had a birthing take place on my propety yet other than cats that seem to breed like rabbits. I'm learning so much from people when they do have problems and like to see how they cope and cure with disease, loss and success. Thanks for sharing Beeman.

14. dla

dla Well-Known Member

So, for the uneducated observer (me :eek: ), is the answer that only the piglets were sick, or were we treating the momma too?

And in general, do you just hit a sick pig w/ penicillin if it has a fever?

:( Golly, I feel dumber and dumber by the minute! Always wanted the farm life, didn't think it would ever happen, should have prepared myself!

15. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

good deal! glad you solved the problem. i'd give the penicillin for a week, just to be sure.

16. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the results of what you tried and the results. I learn from these posts. The ones that drive me nuts are when lots of advise is offered, but no feedback is given, thus you have no idea what worked.

17. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Our last litter had the problem with erisypilas. The piglets showed no signs of it as far as skin infection. The sows infection had appeared to be under control. We ended up losing 6 of the 9. Penicillin and vaccines have let us keep the 3 going strong. The mom had so much stress on her too from having had this stuff going on that she was not giving enough milk to keep the piglets alive. We pulled the last 4 and lost the one that had been having the most problems still.

I am so glad to hear that the little ones are doing better. I was just heartsick when ours were dropping.

18. beeman97

Ok update #2
    All 7 piglets are up & running around & doing much much better ,,, thank you very much agmantoo for the link you provided & the advise you offered as well, it appears to have worked out well with the piglets
    mom is still down & still not eating well or drinking alot, i have a vet friend who posted a thread on a vet specific website & got some idea's from other vets who deal with swine as a practise,
    the biggest responce so far is that she has got a dead baby inside still & will more then likely die from it sooner or later, she has not ever had a temp over 103.3
    & it is now down to 102.8 or so, & that did not seem to be of any concern really as far as temps go with pigs.
    The idea so far is either the dead pig inside or a torn or reptured uterus or vagina.
    also nothing that can really be done in either of the situations except to wait & see if she recovers.
    If it is the case then she is also not producing milk as she should & the babies got hypoglycimia (SP?)but with the pen & the milk replacer they are recovering & should do fine.
    the note for concern with this is to make sure that the piglets also have open access to a clean water supply as the milk replacer on it's own will over a period of weeks cause salt poisoning & kill them fast if it happens.
    I thank you all again for your idea's & help with the situation. this site was my only outlet for this kind of problem & i would have been at a total loss with out it .
    Thanks
    Rick

19. agmantoo

Beeman, You have little to loose under the circumstances with the sow. I recommend that you give the sow a massive initial dose of the remaining penicillin (3X regular dose) then continue to give a standard dose. The sow may recover. If she does, after the withdrawal period, she will be suitable for the table.
    PS.. inject in the neck, avoids a pocket in a choice cut.