I'm ashamed of myself

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by TNHermit, Dec 29, 2006.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that i got your attention I want to ask a question here so hopefully it won't get political.

i just found out that Pres Bush read 80 books last year. i know he works out daily and with all the presidiential duties how do they do it. It seems like you read about these people all the time that just are like rocketships in the amount of stuff they do. i know they don't have to cook,clean and the like but i really envy them.
    So how do they do it?

2. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I think it would depend on what books you were reading and if it was an actual fact or PR.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

He spends MASSIVE amounts of time travelling on planes, in cars, helicopters, etc. I would imagine that is when he reads.

He is not an ignorant man despite what everyone would have us to believe. He is most definitely not a good communicator, but that doesn't reflect on a persons intelligence. I know some great communicators who are of average intelligence, but they are very good at communicating there point.

4. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I've heard that he's not a "reading" president. He reads almost nothing himself - has someone else read it, and then distill it for him.

I heard that eNOURmous Iraq report (thousands and thousands of pages) was pureed down to one pages for him.

80 books a year is one every 4 1/2 days. Maybe if they're light books - ones that can be finishes with 45 minutes of reading a night at bedtime...otherwise, I think either that was some kind of PR, or they're counting things that the rest of us wouldn't count as "books", or he's not spending as much time paying attention to the business we pay him for.

"sides...he was a C student. I don't know many of those who persisted in being voracious bookworms...outside of romance or detective novels.

good point about the tons of travel time. I have my doubts about *what* he reads, though...

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Also, propably speed reads.

I know I took the evelyn wood speed reading course several years ago and when done I was reading books I didn't like at 38,000 wpm with an 80% comprehension (testing was done). So a 150 page book took less than 10 minutes.

He may be doing some parts of that.

Angie

6. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Well he is only one person. I've heard and seen other people llike that. Just seems they can get a ton of stuff done.
    I love to read but i have to fight fallilng asleep all the time. Always been like that. Only time i can really read is in the morning.

7. danoon

danoon Well-Known Member

Yeah, comic books don't take that long to read if you don't stop to look at the pictures. :angel:

8. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I love to read but i have to fight fallilng asleep all the time

It's the opposite with me - reading a good book is dangerous to my health - because I'll stay up half the night reading it!!

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

TNhermit, some of us cannot turn our minds off so that we can sleep. A book helps, there. Chances are he is not being industrious: he is trying to relax!

10. bare

bare Head Muderator

If you take the man at his word, he's read more books in the last year than he has in his entire life time!

11. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Oh really. I didn't realize Dr. Suess wrote that many books. :viking:

12. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I don't find it that hard to believe. Seems the people who think he doesn't are the ones who must not read much.

13. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

Did he read 80 books or did he read one book 80 times...

Book title:

How to be a U.S. President
    for Dummies​

Sorry I couldn't resist...Believe it or not I have no animosity towards our Commander in Chief...Just too much of an open line...Besides someone had to beat the libs to it... :dance:

14. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

>>i know they don't have to cook,clean and the like <<

This is part of your answer. Do you realize how much time us average folks spend just taking care of things that above average people don't have to do?

15. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Exactly. Before I had kids, I know I used to read at least 1 or 2 books a week. Thick novels, too. There was a library on my way to/from work and I was working through the fiction section alphabetically. :cool:

It's not so hard to fit 80 books into a year, and not all books are 500 pages! And in the case of many non-fiction books, you might not actually read the whole thing, just the relevant parts to your interest, and still claim you read it.

I could get a whole lot more done every day if I didn't have to clean up after people and animals all day, cook, dispense drinks, and if I stayed off the Internet! :)

16. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I have books all over the place - in my car, at my work desk, beside my bed, in the kitchen, in the livingroom...whenever I have a few minutes free - I read! I never get plain old "sit down" time to read it seems but I do read quite a few books per year on the "spare minutes" plan :) I've read that Pres. Bush doesn't read much at all and doesn't read ANY newspapers....I would want to know what the press is saying about me personally...one time there was a thing of some sort on tv showing Pres. Bush reading to kids at a school (maybe it was when 9-11 hit) - it appeared that he was having a little difficulty with THAT book....I don't know if I believe the "80 books a year" thing!!!

17. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I usually have four books going at once. Two audio books, one in each car, a book by the bed, and a book in the bathroom.

18. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I don't believe that this is true. It was probably just PR, set a good example, make people think you're smarter than you are kind of thing. Unless they were "graphic novels" (the new politically correct term for comic books).

As for GWB being "intelligent, but not a good communicator", that may be true, I don't know the man. I did know someone who went to college with him and that person said that GWB was an idiot, but I can't pass judgment because I wasn't there.

donsgal

19. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

reading 80 books a year? What is so special about that? :shrug: That's just a little more than a book a week. I'd bet most average people read more than that, and people lead busy lives.

20. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Now thats a good one! :D