I'm almost afraid to even ask this.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ninn, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

We live in a trailer park and we just found out that our neighbor has cockroaches. What can I use to repel them and keep them out of my house without making my dog sick? I am already cleaning and bleaching every surface in the house, as the exterminator says they don't like bleach-it burns their feet. We put our trash directly in the dumpster provided on a daily basis. We keep all food in airtight containers, and we were already decluttering just because it needed to be done. What can we do to repel these little nasties before they decide to move in over here? I own this place, so I can't move away; and it's so old that it can't be moved itself. Any other suggestions will be welcomed with open mind and arms. Thank you.

2. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to live in Charleston, S.C., and we would rope off the backyard and charge the tourists 25¢ to see them! They were so big you could throw a saddle on them and ride down the block!

Don't be embarrassed. I have seen them in brand new homes that no one had even lived in.

Boric acid is the thing to use. Put it in the cracks where the floor and walls meet.

I remember one night while in Charleston I got ready for bed, turned out the light and was almost asleep when I started hearing this "scratch" noise close to my head. I quickly turned the light on and there was a roach in the ash tray eating the paper off a cigarrette butt!

I was taking a class in entomology and learned that if a female is poisoned and has eggs she will lay the egg casing before she dies. The young will be very resistant to whatever the mother died from. That's why they have been able to survive for millions of years. The boric acid isn't a poison. What it does is to clog up their breathing aparatus and they sufficate.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Everybody has cockroaches. Not everybody will admit it. :rolleyes:

Some folks have them worse than others.

Cockroaches have been here longer than people, and they'll probably last after we are gone.

WIHH had good suggestions. I just have the house sprayed quarterly. :)

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

RoachPruff.Its boric acid with an electrical static charge.It sticks to them,then grinds off the protection on their bellies.They dehydrate and DIE!

This stuff works 100%

BooBoo

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I third the boric acid. I've used it in military quarters in the South and in Central America...it's the ticket...and it won't harm your dog or kids. Put it everywhere. Get a bulb syringe like you use with babies. Use it to spray the powder into every crack you can find. Put it under fridge, sink, and near any other possible water source. (even roaches need water) Anywhere you think a roach might walk through it.

However, it will not work if it gets wet, so it does need to be in a dry place.

Best of luck in keeping the buggers out. Very smart of you to be proactive while your neighbor is chasing them about.

Meg

6. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

I love Alaska - no roaches here in the country. Although I have seen them in some housing developments/apartments in urban areas from time to time... One of the hotels where my sisters worked had a horrible roach problem.

7. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

Not much personal experience, but you might want to look into Diatomacious Earth. The food grade stuff is very safe for people and animals and will grind their shells so they dehydrate.

8. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Being winter in PA, I doubt you need to worry much for a few months.

9. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

Ninn is talking about the little German Roaches. Tiny ones That are signs of poor housekeeping.. Not the big ones that everyone sees occassionally in their home..I think she is referring to the ones that her neighbor has by the tens of thousands..am I correct Ninn?

10. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Well...as long as we're dicussing them...

I don't have anything helpful to add, but I always like to tell my Palmetto bug story. The short version:

Visiting Cousin in Florida. Wake middle of the night - need to go pee. Mid-"business", a huge guy flies across the bathroom at me, and lodges him/herself in the tangle of my shorts that are at half-mast.

Good thing I wasn't completely phobic of big bugs... :)

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I agree with the boric acid. When we remodeled a house, we put lots of it inside the walls. It helps to get rid of them so a few carried in won't build up into a massive problem in the rentals.

I used to own a mobile home park. Usually we would have to have an exterminator in when someone moved out. One encouraging thing the exterminator told me was that the German variety likes to stay where it is, not migrate to other homes. You get them by carrying them in with papers or boxes. You probably don't have to worry about them running across the yard to your house.

12. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Good luck, seems a lot of good suggestions, but I think I would also have the trailer sprayed 4 times a year.

Working on furnaces is some pretty dumpy homes, have had some that just gave me the willies, dead ones piled in the bottom of the furnace so deep that if you dropped your tools in it you had to use a magnet to get them back out.

One of the other guys warned me about this particular house and told me not to shine my trouble light on the rafters as they were moving!
    Turned out that the roaches were in the T-stat, so the unit wouldn't come on, 'corse that meant cleaning it out, aaaaaack.
    Fastest service call I've done in a long time.

13. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

You got it in one, Eric. She moved out. She is no longer providing them with an adequate food supply, so they are on the move. They were inside the computer monitor she gave my DD a few weeks ago, and now DD's house is infested with them. They were out in broad daylight yesterday!!!

I am headed to the hardware store tomorrow night for roach motels, boric acid and that diatomacious earth, too. Since the temps here have been in the 40's and 50's for the last month, I don't think they will be to worried about freezing to death on the 100 foot scramble from her house to mine. By the end of the week, it will be hospital sterile in here. No one will be able to breathe from the bleach, but I will be sure there isnt a food supply in sight for them. I just cannot have bugs in my house. I go nuts over ants!! When it comes to those little roaches, I don't even care how strong the chemicals are as long as my dog and cat are safe and they won't cause DS to have an asthma attack. I already told DD to arrange to have her place tented and fumigated. They have got to go. I don't want them thinking that my house is a nice warm place to live with an adequate supply of food and water. The only critters that are allowed to think that are my kids!!!

14. Arklady

Arklady Well-Known Member

Pet chickens are so nice. They just love roaches and invite them to dinner in their craw. lol...

Arklady

15. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

Here's a country/folk remedy that really seems to work:

You'll need a ziploc bag, a double handful of cotton balls, tongs and the hottest hot sauce you can lay your hands on.

Put the cottonballs in the bag and saturate with the hot sauce. Use the tongs to place a cotton ball in every corner, nook and cranny in your house. Within a week the roaches vanish. I've tried it and it works!

I've not tried borax but I'll keep it in mind for the future...I hate those critters!

16. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

As somebody has already said, EVERYBODY has cockroaches (unless you live in Alaska, apparently!). You just don't always see them. If you think they are in plague proportions, you should contact your local health authority and get a professional in to eradicate them. You can buy cockroach baits and traps from any supermarket.

If you lay baits/traps with boric acid (borax), make sure they are securely placed with guards to prevent children and pets from getting to them. It is poisonous.

Meantime, here are a few different ideas on how to deter them:

Place ends of cucumbers in cupboards until they shrivel.
    OR
    Rub shelves with tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil or pyrethrum oil or pennyroyal oil.
    OR
    Place baits made of 5% borax and sugar. Keep out of reach of pets and children.
    OR
    Gather and dry the petals of chrysanthemums. Shred and scatter along shelves and on the floor where cockroaches are seen. The natural pyrethrum in the flowers is a deadly poison to cockroaches.
    OR
    Mix 4 tablespoons borax, 2 tablespoons plain flour, starch or sugar, and 1 tablespoon cocoa. Leave baits in upturned lids where cockroaches have been seen, but out of reach of children.
    OR
    Mix together on a small dish one part of plaster of Paris and three parts of flour. Place another dish next to the first, and fill it with water. Make a cardboard bridge to connect the two, and float pieces of cardboard on the water touching the edges. The cockroaches eat the flour and plaster, become thirsty, and drink. The plaster then sets and kills them.
    OR
    Leave mint, pyrethrum flowers, eucalyptus leaves or rue sprigs where they are likely to invade.
    OR
    8 parts powdered rat poison, 3 parts sugar, 1 part boric acid crystals. Add water to make the mix about the consistency for good mud pies. Roll the mix into balls about 2cm in diameter. Place bait balls in places where cockroaches will find it, but pets and children won’t. Renew the baits every 3 months.

MAKE TRAPS:
    Grease the inside of the neck of a milk bottle with oil. Leave 10cm of stale beer, or a mixture of honey and beer, or peanut butter, in the bottle. Cockroaches can get in, but cannot escape.
    OR
    Mix together 2 cups cold mashed potato and 1 tablespoon baking powder. Form into small balls about the size of marbles. Leave lying where cockroaches have been seen, and keep renewing them until they are left untouched.

17. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Wow, good suggestions, culpeper. Have you tested any of these? Yeah, we just don't have them up here in most areas. I think it's too cold. Same thing with ticks, they just don't live north of a certain latitude.

Be careful with tea trea oil around pets though, I've heard horror stories of toxic reations in cats from skin contact.

18. danoon

danoon Well-Known Member

I've been lurking here a bit but have to comment on this one. Years ago while living in Fl. I used to take a glass of water to bed with me.. you can guess the rest. Ever since, I take a soda bottle with the cap on.

Now living in SC. I just leave a blank grocery list on the frige and they tell me what to pick up. I've had to purchase little champane glasses and extra Raid for their parties and I have to keep the music down during the day, so we don't bother each other as long as I do as I'm told.

If i get mad, Spectracide Plus works in and out doors. Its pet safe if you let it dry before letting them back in. Using it outside around the house helps and I 7 Dust the yard to keep the fleas and ticks down.

Its better to get a small pen and grocery list and obey!

19. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

I've visited in SC and met palmetto bugs. You might as well invite them to tea! hehe

Honestly, I don't get too wound up about a few bugs, I figure they have a place in this world too. If they get to be a problem for me, then I deal with them, but generally I have a live and let live policy. Fleas and ticks I wouldn't, but usually its cold enough here that they are fairly rare.

20. scaryguyoy

scaryguyoy Well-Known Member

We live in a very industrial valley near cincinnati.Waterbugs are common inside and out.Well they were getting a bit too common inside.So i did some investigation and bought this brand of trap.Hot Shot Max attract Ultra or something close to that.Within a week they became very scarce,then they stopped all together.We still saw them outside.gangs of them everywhere up and down the streets.This valley has a big Mill creek running thru it which causes these varmints to take residence here.again i highly recommend that product.good Luck
    scary