Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all! I have been living rurally with my 5 children for the past 6 years. We have gotten accustomed to the lifestyle and we love it. We have 15 chickens, 3 geese, 3 cats and a dog. I would like to expand to cattle and or goats to help us become completely self reliant. Lately, I find that I am desiring to go deeper into the wilderness. My dream is to purchase 150-200 acres of unorganized land and build a 1,000 sq. ft. log cabin... or maybe buy a pre-fab and assemble? I will also need to construct a root cellar. I want to be realistic and take on something that we can handle. My oldest children are 18 and 17 and will be able to help with assembly or building. I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to go about this. Can anyone offer any guidance? I am looking to do this on a budget but I also want it to be my forever home. It doesn't need to be anything huge, as my eldest 2 are planning on getting their own tiny houses. How would you do it? Use a tent while building? Or purchase a trailer to stay in? I am also wanting to drill a well, set up solar panels and later on, a garden and fences, etc. Has anyone here done this before? Any pointers you can give me?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't think I would go with a tent - that's going to be quite a while if you're doing this yourself.

For the home, to save time and effort, take a look at kit log homes.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Good day all! I have been living rurally with my 5 children for the past 6 years. We have gotten accustomed to the lifestyle and we love it. We have 15 chickens, 3 geese, 3 cats and a dog. I would like to expand to cattle and or goats to help us become completely self reliant. Lately, I find that I am desiring to go deeper into the wilderness. My dream is to purchase 150-200 acres of unorganized land and build a 1,000 sq. ft. log cabin... or maybe buy a pre-fab and assemble? I will also need to construct a root cellar. I want to be realistic and take on something that we can handle. My oldest children are 18 and 17 and will be able to help with assembly or building. I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to go about this. Can anyone offer any guidance? I am looking to do this on a budget but I also want it to be my forever home. It doesn't need to be anything huge, as my eldest 2 are planning on getting their own tiny houses. How would you do it? Use a tent while building? Or purchase a trailer to stay in? I am also wanting to drill a well, set up solar panels and later on, a garden and fences, etc. Has anyone here done this before? Any pointers you can give me?
Location, Location, and Location. That is the first thing you have to consisider. Can you get electric to the area. Next Water. You have to have water and electric. Building a log cabin is much more expensive and also takes a longer to build then a regular house. Prefab would be much better. These are the first things you have to consider.

·
Registered
81 Posts
She's living I guess is Quebec,raising 5 kids which two are teenagers is challenge in itself. But to even be thinking about project like this,may be tough as nails. Deep pockets will be needed,and lot of know how.

·
Registered
14,896 Posts
Get a company like Satterwhite log homes to build you a shell. Then you can finish the rest. You will have plenty of things to do with other stuff if you buy bare land. They are actually not bad as far as price and easy to build. I built several of them myself.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If I were starting a homestead from scratch on un-touched land, I would hire someone to cut a driveway, and lay down a stone base first, and foremost. The next thing I would want is to set in a 40' long high-cube CONEX shipping container to use for secure/dry storage (tools/supplies/feed/house goods). I would then clear a flat, open space for a cheap travel trailer which will already have a kitchen/bathroom set up inside.

I would probably build an open sided 20x40 roof over the camper using the conex as one side of it, to keep the mud at bay. You could also collect rain water off of the metal roof over the camper, and conex.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I should have explained that unorganized territory is significantly cheaper than organized. I can find 150 acres (or more) for 50,000 give or take. I have been looking at a property that has 137 acres plus a livable cabin for 129,000. It is also surrounded by crown land and is on a lake. The cabin is set up with solar, has a wood stove and also has propane appliances. It does not have a Well. There is no septic but it has an outhouse. The main cabin is near the road and there is a smaller one room log cabin with no hook ups at the back of the property beside the lake. SO I am thinking this might be the best route to go. We can stay in the cabin with hook ups while building our home at the back of the property on the lake. I like that it is surrounded by crown land because we will be very secluded and will not have neighbors. What do you all think of this plan?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I should have explained that unorganized territory is significantly cheaper than organized. I can find 150 acres (or more) for 50,000 give or take. I have been looking at a property that has 137 acres plus a livable cabin for 129,000. It is also surrounded by crown land and is on a lake. The cabin is set up with solar, has a wood stove and also has propane appliances. It does not have a Well. There is no septic but it has an outhouse. The main cabin is near the road and there is a smaller one room log cabin with no hook ups at the back of the property beside the lake. SO I am thinking this might be the best route to go. We can stay in the cabin with hook ups while building our home at the back of the property on the lake. I like that it is surrounded by crown land because we will be very secluded and will not have neighbors. What do you all think of this plan?
Like i said before you have to have elec. and water that is number one. If it is to far from elec. you may have to pay a lot for elec. Solar will not provide power year round in most places. Also cost a lot more for Solar power.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Your proposal is doable, but could be difficult. As 101pigs said, solar won't provide year-round power, won't even provide 24-hour power unless you have a good battery system (and if you get a week of overcast, you're out of luck). Can you live for extended periods without electricity?

You'll need to be sure to have a lot of wood for heating, and factor in the cost of propane.

My biggest concern about that scenario is "no well". What would be your water source? Buckets by hand from the lake?

Not trying to be discouraging here. Just be sure to keep your eyes open to the downsides - if you're not fully prepared, going that far off-grid can be not only inconvenient, but dangerous.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Like i said before you have to have elec. and water that is number one. If it is to far from elec. you may have to pay a lot for elec. Solar will not provide power year round in most places. Also cost a lot more for Solar power.
Also you have to consiter your kids. How do they feel about being without a lot of stuff they have now. TV, the net, friends, education, etc. Your children is the most important you should be thinking about. If a child does not have adcess to modern education etc. That will be a downside for the rest of their life.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wish I had these choices,I would love live up there but I don't think I could handle winters but your a local. I say if you have the finances go for it as long as you have finances to recover if it should not work out. I do hope it works out cause this would be a dream of mine.

·
Registered
14,896 Posts
I wish I had these choices,I would love live up there but I don't think I could handle winters but your a local. I say if you have the finances go for it as long as you have finances to recover if it should not work out. I do hope it works out cause this would be a dream of mine.
Too cold for me too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would be willing to do without the electricity from power lines because there are alternatives to grid power. Not having a water source not so much. An outhouse is on the border of what I am willing to deal with. Been there and done all of the above. No water is a deal breaker especially with children

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
If I were starting a homestead from scratch on un-touched land, I would hire someone to cut a driveway, and lay down a stone base first, and foremost. The next thing I would want is to set in a 40' long high-cube CONEX shipping container to use for secure/dry storage (tools/supplies/feed/house goods). I would then clear a flat, open space for a cheap travel trailer which will already have a kitchen/bathroom set up inside.

I would probably build an open sided 20x40 roof over the camper using the conex as one side of it, to keep the mud at bay. You could also collect rain water off of the metal roof over the camper, and conex.
Very good advice here.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
If you have the money this sounds like a good plan. How far to the nearest school, and will the school bus the kids? Find out what a well will cost in your area before you decide to buy. I think that water is more important than anything else in a homestead situation. You can't do much without water.

·
Registered
430 Posts
When looking for land to build on the first thing you want to look at is the build site. Is there a clearing already established? If not, and it's in the middle of a grove of trees you can expect to spend $20k plus to clear an acre, remove the stumps, grade and a gravel road in. I say an acre because you'll want a fire safety barrier and open land for solar and growing.

Resources should be your second consideration. Land that has a well and/or septic is a big plus. Having to put those in yourself again will cost $10k-$30k each. So as you can see your infrastructure costs will be significant before you even get to home plans.

If you're looking to harvest trees off the land to build with they'll need at least a year to cure before use.

Where are you looking to buy?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts