I'm a newbie!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Imagoofygoober, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Imagoofygoober

Imagoofygoober Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I am new here. :D I was drawn to your forum because we (my family) are very interested in homesteading. We have been looking for a way to get out of the rat race for some time now. Interests include organic farming, animal husbandry and learning how to be a self-sustaining family (or as close to it as we can get).

We are teetering on the verge of buying our first home. We live in a very busy, expensive tourist area and just don't know whether or not we really want to be stuck here forever. We are accused of being hippies ALL the time, LOL. We used to make jewelry & tye-dyes to to supplement our income. ;) Haven't done that in a while.

We thought perhaps we should go ahead and buy the house and turn around and sell it in a few years, hopefully making a little profit (home prices are skyrocketing around here) and using that to get us started on our homesteading dreams.

Ideally we hope to support ourselves, but we realize we have a lot to learn. We are considering mentioning our idea to family members to see if they want to join us.

I look forward to meeting everyone and learning more from people who have done this or are going through the process of making that big change. Any advice is most welcome. Just startin' out here! Help! :p

2. countribound

countribound Happy in Houston

Welcome!
    I just joined this message board last month and have gotten all kinds of great advice and resources already! We are planning our "big move" in about two years. Although DH and I are quite the opposite of "hippie" :p , I like this forum because it seems there are all types of people with very unique perspectives. I too am look forward to organic farming and living a self-sustaining lifestyle, so welcome!

3. Imagoofygoober

Thank you, countribound! I wish you much luck in your endeavors as well!

Have you purchased your land yet? Is it in the same state as you? We are looking to another state. I have heard mention of ozarkland.com or something to that affect. How do you know that you are getting the parcel pictured? I mean, unless you go and see it, how do you know that they aren't selling the same plots over and over again, to several different people?

I wonder how expensive this whole venture is going to be? We are lucky enough to have several people in our family who work in various areas of construction, so it would be great if everyone would want to go in on it with us. We can't count on that, tho, b/c honestly, how many people are going to want to follow us to another state and give up their current way of life? What did your friends and family think when you mentioned your plans?

And where are we going to live while we build the house? In a tent? I mean, we are reeeeally in the beginning stages of this thing. We are trying to find as much information as possible. Maybe we could compare notes? ;)

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Hello, welcome to the forums! Not only to you, but to all of those new recently.

5. Imagoofygoober

6. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

I would caution against expecting Ral Estate to remain at 100 per-cent of today's top appraised value. I think prices are about to tumble a bit, and there ae news reports to back it up, although I can't cite sources.

Welcome to Homesteading.

7. countribound

countribound Happy in Houston

Yes, we recently purchased a little over 11 acres only a few hours away- but coming from the Houston area- it is definitely considered a move to the country. My DHs parents were supportive; my family has been rather unsure about all this, but I have already gotten advice from others on this board and many who went through that say they come around.

We found our land on realtor.com and yes, there is no way to get an idea until you see it in person. If the land is undeveloped, the pictures are useless, really. Do you have family/friends where you are looking? Maybe you can stay with them while you look. Why another state?

We will need to find new jobs there and want to be there while the house is being built, so we are planning to build a garage with an apt. and just live on the property for another year until we can afford to build the house.

I just wrote a post to ask about order of what to do to develop land. My DH and I are figuring at least $20K just to get ready to build-septic, electric, clearing...and we recently sold our house too and made some money--enough to pay off a large part of the land and some c/c debt. We are working to be debt-free first, then save for the house. Figuring about two more years to get out there...I'm so impatient :grump: but am being positive because I am learning so much in the meantime.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Wow! Been there,done that.Many years ago(5) we bought some real quality tie dyes in North Cal.When we went to vacation this year guy had moved.Driving down the highway 40 miles away,we see a shop with tie dyes outside,so we stopped.It was the same guy!!!! Bought a half dozen shirts,they are very nice heavy cotton with quality dyes that dont fade.Lucky us,eh?

I like your name too.Welcome aboard. :D

9. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board!! If single poeple can swing a homestead, so can you. I'm 3 years into the whole deal, and I only had my income to do it with. It will take some sacrifice and hard work, but it can be done. Good luck!

PS. I have almost 30 chickens! I must be a super hippy!!!!!!

10. Imagoofygoober

Thanks, everyone. :eek:

Do you have family/friends where you are looking? No.

Why another state? We really want to get away from where we are. Too expensive, too hot. We really want a hilly or mountainous area with cooler summer temps. Looking to really go out of our element.

Thanks for all the encouragement. We hope to find a viable way to make it work. :D

11. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard...

Where in general terms are you looking to move to?

Land prices have gone through the roof since we started looking about five years ago.

12. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Welcome :) Here's a website that will help you. http://www.carlaemery.com/

Real estate isn't gaining like it did I don't know what part of country you're in but touristy should stay stable or continue to rise.

We sold our home in Calif and purchased one with alot more land at basement prices here in Miss. you could do similar wherever you end up going. Hilly is here where I live but the summers are still warm (but I like that!) so maybe you need anohter part of country. Here the cost of real estate is going well with a buyers market still $30k will get you a fixer upper with a bit of land, $40-50K will buy you plenty. Good luck.

13. Imagoofygoober

Hi guys!

We are thinking somewhere north or somewhere north-west US. Not really decided yet. There are a lot of pretty places so there is a lot to research. Hearing a lot about the Ozarks.

Just not decided yet. It is a fairly recent idea to us--this whole homesteading thing. A bit scary, truthfully, but very exciting. :)

14. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum; and to all the rest of you who have recently joined. I only recently found it myself and yes, there's a wealth of knowledge here. I don't recall you saying what state you're in but consider some important things. Go where there's plenty of natural resources. Just as an example, don't plan on moving to Arizona if they're trucking water in from other states just to support all the people who live there.

Use great caution in buying a home to resale for profit as an investment. Only buy what you'd be happy with if you had to hang onto it (live there a long time), and only buy what you could easily pay for. I agree with Rick's comment on speculating with real estate. I've invested in property for years and made a decent living (on top of working full time) but got a gut feeling about 2 years ago that it was time to "sell" and not buy anymore investment property for now, so I did that... some of which was against my dh's wishes (property I had before we got married). Once that was done, we paid off our homestead and bought more adjoining land.

Move slowly and research. Make sure the area is really where you'd like to live. Go check the properties out, walk the land. Introduce yourself to potential neighbors before buying the property... make sure you think they'd be good neighbors and let them talk, if they will. You might find out about things you should know like the previous owner's kids were into drugs and had a lot of traffic out there, or sections of the land floods everytime there's a good rain, or when it snows you'd better be prepared to be locked in for a week cause they don't plow the roads or you can't get out, or "Don't bother trying to drill a well cause nobody's been able to get water up here for years now.". Good neighbors can make your life so much easier and happier. If times get really tough, they can make all the difference.

Don't go into debt anymore than you have to and move slowly on new endeavors. We bought this farm and both continued to work. We immediately found we had to have a tractor to live here, just to blade ourselves out to get to work. The next spring we got chickens and put up a chicken coop. We went to a farm auction and found several helpful things very cheap (a log splitter for $250 that hooks up to our PTO, a planter for $25, a bale lifter for $20, a plow for $25...). We've had a lot of dreams, thought a lot about what we'd like to do, but knew we had to move slowly and make sure we could handle each new thing - didn't want to get overwhelmed or get over our heads financially. There were times we wondered if we could survive the commute to work and then come home to chore... and still have to get supper made before bedtime.

If you can, try to find a piece of land with a building on it. I know many who have purchased a parcel of ground have put up a big pole barn, and utilized part of it for living in... made very nice homes out of them. If I were to do that, I'd definitely have a basement dug under it for shelter and food storage (root & storm cellar, etc.). You can always build something else later, but you'd have a home plus a place for equipment and shelter for animals if needed.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

15. Imagoofygoober

Thanks! I have learned a lot already! I have found a few parcels of land with small existing cabins. I am a very adventurous person but cutting that cord is hard. I can do it, but I have to make sure that financially we can afford to make that move. If we sold everything, we could do it relatively soon, but even though my other half and I have lived in the snow before, where we are looking would be quite a bit different than what we have experienced.

We want a place further north or out west, we know that. A place with cool summers.

After reading about all the experiences that ppl have had with meth labs being so close to them, that just freaks me out. I can't stand that stuff. We have several dogs, so in that respect I would feel safe, but I just hope we won't have to deal with any of that nonsense.

We would have to fly to wherever the land is and take a look at it ourselves. I really am glad to be able to talk with people who have gone through this and who are going through it now, to know that it can be done and to learn by others' experiences.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!

16. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

Rick i disagree with you!! The Babyboomers are retiing from the metro areas !!Almos all rual propertys are doubling every 2 years!!
    Another thing alot of people got burned in the stock market and are buyin places now instead of stocks!!
    I tend to buy small land parcels 2 to 10 ackers they work for me!

17. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

Sorry Welcome to all the new ones on here also!!