I'm a new milker and my goat doesn't like me!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AshleyB, Jun 21, 2006.

1. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

We got our first milk goat today. She is a nine year old Togg/Alpine cross, mostly Togg. She let me milk her fairly easily when her previous owner was standing right there beside her, but tonight, dh and I went to milk her (dh was standing beside her holding a dish of grain for her) she did fine while there was still grain, but I wasn't even halfway finished before she was done eating. After she finished she got kicky, kept stepping in the milk kept trying to get out of the stanchion, and was just being an all around pain in the neck. She got her udder so wet from splashed milk that I couldn't hold onto her teat anymore. The previous owner told me if she gave me a really hard time to just get out what I could, and let her wait until morning. She said she would behave because she would need relief. But, honestly, I'm not so sure she will behave tomorrow either. Should I give her enough grain to keep her busy the whole time I milk, or is there something else I can do to persuade her to behave? The prev. owner said don't let her boss you around, you need to show her who is boss, but how exactly do I do that? It will probably take me around 30 min. to get all of the milk out tomorrow, I'm a bit leary of just keeping on giving her food. I know I will get faster and faster, but is there a better way to deal with her behavior?
    Thanks. :help:

2. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I was having the same problem. I got a 3 year old that had never been milked. She kidded a week and a half ago. She is wilder than anything. I tried to tame her with food like my others but it didn't work. She's a kicker too, I was about ready to give up. Finally I read a post about tying their head and feet (I don't have a stantion yet and this is my first milk goat). I tied her at the head to one post and the back leg of the side I'm milking to another, she still kicked and her whole back end came off the ground! I just tightened the ties so that she wasn't too tight but could not move. That was yesterday, today I was able to leave the ties loose and she let me milk. I think I just had to let her know I wasn't going to give up. Of course I fought with her for 5 days until I read about tying her up, she nearly beat me to death!

I wish you good luck with yours....tomorrow is another day.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Milk faster, mix some alfalfa pellets into her grain so it lasts longer with out giveing her too much grain, and if need be tie one of her leggs up to a nail on the wall so she cant kick and hop around but only use the leg tie if need be, try the added food if she was good while eating,
    is her head held in the stanchion gate thingy? or are you just haveing her stand to eat out of a bowl someone is holding?

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I've got a goat that hates me too.... out of 15 milkers, one of them is just plain ANTI-SOCIAL!
    She does handstands when I try to wash her udder, and she used to freak the whole time, but is a lot better now.
    Grab her closest back leg right above the "knee" and when you gently squeeze that tendon they cant move any more. Of course, then you have to milk one handed, but she will eventually quit the shenanigans.
    Have you dh mess with her food, hand in it, etc, to slow her down on eating. And give lots of alfalfa pellets! :) Good for production.

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Maybe she's just not used to your hands, yet.

I had one that bit...badly!

6. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

You will get faster at milking, as you get used too it-you'll be down too a few minutes-really! :rolleyes: i found that putting a bit of hay in the food bowl and mixing the grian around in it-really slows them down in their eating-or have your dh put hay in after she starts getting restless-she should stop and eat it.-i read too put "rocks" in w/the grain-but always figured mine would find a way too swallow one, then i'd have too try and get that out!! :baby04:

7. ChickenMom

How did it go this morning AshleyB?

8. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

You say she is nine years old.
    She has moved to a new place that is not home.
    She is being handled by strangers.
    She is scared.
    Get a hobble for her back legs and put it on properly.
    add alfalfa pellets to her grain. Most goats will give you a bad time if they have finished their grain.
    DON'T YELL AT HER LIKE YOU WANT TO! :)
    I use a tall bucket to milk in so it is harder for her to step into.
    Talk to her to reasure her and get her used to your voice.
    Also, I have a problem when Hubby tries to help. Most goats don't want anyone in the milk room but the one milking. It is just too hard for them to keep track of two of you and it makes them jumpy.
    My doe is 10 and an alpine. They can be onery but that is the way I like her. :)

9. AshleyB

This morning dh and I got up at 5:30, we got our boys up (3.5 and 1.5) and we all went down to milk. We had a lot more grain with us this time, and we were determined to finish out the milking. We thought it was a good sign when she came running towards the fence gate. Well, that was the closest we got to her again. We tried to catch her for 45 minutes, with no luck. We were shaking the grain bucket, talking gently, etc. nothing helped, she kept running away, too fast for us to catch her. Now, I am 31 wks pregnant, so I am not very fast, but dh is. We finally had to give up because dh had to get ready for work. I am going to call the prev. owner in a bit and ask her for suggestions on catching her. It was really discouraging.

Any ideas?

10. AshleyB

Dh is going to get a bucket to attach to the stanchion so that he doesn't have to stand right there. She likes to try to jump off, even though her head is locked into the stanchion. Will they have a hobble at Tractor Supply Co. ? He is going there today.

We have to catch her first though!!!

11. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Is it possible to pen her at night near where the milking area is? Might not be so difficult to catch her then.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble! Please persevere. You will get faster, she will most likely settle down and become comfortable with you, and this chore will become a joy. Hang in there!

NeHi Mama

12. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Just give her a little time...and bribery helps too. Peppermint or carrot horse treats.

Ruth

13. ChickenMom

Use a dog kennel or small pen at night so you don't have as far to run to catch her. I know patience is not something you want to hear now but it does work. If she gets hungry enough she will come to you for food. Don't let her have any until she comes. Put a lead around the bucket and when she puts her head in it the lead will go around her neck.
    I know this has to be hard with little children to take care of and being pregnant! When I think of the fighting I did with my Nanny I really feel for you. If I were close to you I would come help. Be sure when you do catch her that you don't just milk her and let her go, give her a good back rub when you are finished and talk to her and give a treat. Tell her how good she did (even if you want to strangle her!).

14. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I used to have one that would fall down on her side and play dead. It ain't easy milking a goat from that angle LOL

I would tie her head and leg and she would still try to fall down.

15. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

feed her in the barn w here you can shut the door behind her, get her into a small area to catch her, put a little feed out to get her attention to come into the barn then you got her,
    if she is this skittish i wouldnt let her out much, does she have a kid on her? if not then you will be milking twice a day, put her on a tether to have her out on brows untill she gets used to you, other wise you will be chaseing her and trying to trick her every time you have to milk, if you put her on a tether you can do things nice and slow and gain her trust, then you can go from there,

16. lazybee

lazybee Active Member

I know what you are going through. I bought a doe that was four years old, and very set in her ways. I think the best thing to do is when you catch her, sit with her for a while and just talk to her. pet her, love on her, and give her some treats. After everytime you milk her, keep her in the stand and love on her, and talk to her. A way to keep her from kicking is to get a spray bottle and have dh spray her in the face every time she kicks. I had a freshener who would not let me touch her, but after a couple of squirts in the face, she has been an angle to milk. I also have a doe who is two, and this is my second year milking her, and she is awful to milk. I know this may sound horrible, but everytime she kicks I slap her on the back. It has helped alot. But as soon as I am done milking her, I gently rub the spot with my hand and tell her she is a good girl. Good luck!