If you were buying goats....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cornhusker, May 22, 2005.

1. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

How much would you pay?
    A neighbor and I went to look at some goats yesterday. They were mostly white with red heads, and he had some of different colors, but these were the ones he wanted to sell.
    He said they were boer cross. My neighbor was looking at some little fellas, still on the mom, and they wanted 75-80 for those. I was looking at some bred does, and he wanted 175 apiece for them.
    Does that sound about right?
    Or was he a little high?
    I know next to nothing about goats.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound too bad. That's about what I get for kids & adults around here. You can get more if they are registered.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

$175 for a bred doe is pretty good.

4. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

I've paid as much as $1200.00 for a top quality buck! I've also sold a doe for $2000.00.

5. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

But.....what are you wanting them for?

Boers are a meat breed. It is possible but not the most practical thing in the world to milk them.

Or, do you want a lawn ornament?

Or a pet?

The reasonableness of the price depends on what you wanted in the first place.

6. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

There is a market developing here, although right now we have to haul goats to Ft. Collins Co.
    It's about 2 1/2 hour drive, but if 3 or 4 people all threw into one trailer, it wouldn't be that bad.
    I hear they sell upwards of 500 goats a week there, so if a guy had 30 or 40 ready to go, it'd be worth the trip.

7. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We're just north of you and get $100 for bred does, $75 for unbred does and $30 for buck/wether kids. And at these prices most locals tell you how inflated the prices are and walk away. When asked what they think a "fair" price is, the usual reply is $10-$20. And some even want us to keep the does (at our expense) until they kid or the kids until they're weaned.

8. Gary

Gary Member

For a doe to produce meat kids its hard to justify paying over $100 or $125
    if she's bred and looks real good maybe $150.
    Gary Burnett

9. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

Well I can tell you what we ar paying. We paid $200 for our percentage Buck and are paying $125 for unbred does and Doelings and Bucklings. Show weathers go for about $90. The goats that we are buying are going for $3.80 to over $4 a pound when sold. Remember that you can not buy cheap and expect to sell high. Your base herd will make you what you are in the goat world. If you get bad goats people will know this and share it with others.

We did get a deal though we got a Boer fullblood buck out of some of the top lines for $200. THis was from a friend though. Good Luck

Samantha

10. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Cornhusker,
    That is not a bad price for those goats. I have boers and they are expensive. I have sold kids for $75.00 and up. I have paid more than that for my does and my buck. Right now there is a meat market demand for boers. :) Tn is in the top 5 for meat goat producers.
    tnborn

11. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I just paid $225. for a boer doe KID. A good meaty boer cross kid can be anywhere from $50 to hundreds if it is show quality. They sound resonable to me.