If you need stitches....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

I was wondering if any of you would do stitches on yourself or a family member.

I have stitched up the dogs and chickens around here and might be willing to stitch a human cut.

I know you can buy the kits that include the sterile needle, thread etc... and I think you can get a topical numbing agent.

When DH cut open his arm we spent hours at the ER and 13 stitches later.... We have insurance, luckily, $100 copay for ER. But we did see the bill that the hospital submitted to the insurance for $1800.

I watched the Dr. stitch up hubby and I really think I could do it. Maybe not as pretty.

I have used little steristrips to hold cuts together in the past till they heal and that works if the cut isn't to big or in a place that will pull apart.

What do you think?

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I would be hard pressed to go get stitches for myself. I have skin staplers at work (and one at home) that would work great if I needed stitches (they would hurt some but are VERY fast). I don't know if I would be able to staple up a family member though. Maybe an adult, but a child would be REALLY hard.

3. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

My brother in law sewed himself up (i think it was his toe?) He was hunting and somehow cut is foot. In his first aid kit he had everything he needed. He did go to the dr once his hunting trip was over just to make sure everything was okay (my sister made him go.) The dr was was shocked and said he did a good job. I couldn't do it (I'm not good with blood or pain.)

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Dermabond (sp) is good to use if you can fix the cut w/i 30min or so of injury. Not sure if you can buy the people version but I suspect the animal equivalent would work and is in most livestock catalogs.

5. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Ordinarily I wouldn't try it, but in a SHTF situation we'd all probably do a lot we wouldn't ordinarily do!
    Ann

6. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

You may be able to administer a fine stitch, but the recipient might not be able to take it. When my brother came to the house bleeding profusely from a chain saw cut on his lower leg, I told him he need to go to the emergency room. Well, after applying direct pressure for what seemed an eternity, I finally managed to stop the bleeding. I had to knock him out with a smack upside the head with a sap to stop his screaming while I was sewing though

7. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I think if you can do it at home that is fantastic. I use super glue once in a while. My sister is a surgical tech. They are the ones handing the instruments to the doctors during surgery. SHe keeps a couple suture kits at home. THey come with the numbing stuff, needle and thread.

8. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

I know I couldn't as I can't even stand to watch someone draw blood or start an IV on someone else. But believe it or not my dad, a dentist, once bit his tongue and put a couple stitches in his own tongue to control the bleeding. He was on coumidin ( that blood thinner medication) and needed it stopped fast. Small town, doctor not available etc. What a pioneer, huh! ?

9. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Yeah, cause those little suckers run fast!

10. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I could do it, have done it on horses, dogs, cattle. But I wouldn'y if there was a viable option. I once stabed myself while gutting a deer. Had no insurance, but wanted a tetnus shot. They told me they wouldn't give me a shot without an appointment to see the wound. I said "then I guess I'll just die then".

They gave me the shot. They said "what if it needs stiches"? I said "I'll stitch it myself".

11. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

hahahahaha! Just the kind of beligerence I like!

12. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

I've stitched up friends from back in my drinking and fighting days...it's not as bad as you would think on the giving end of it any way. I agree with someone who's already posted, you may be able to do the stitching but whether or not the recipient could take it is another issue.

Personally I think that in so many ways *we* as a society have gotten terribly soft. We can lay up foodstuffs for the shtf scenario and make sure we know how to provide for our needs in that way but very few of us are prepared to handle the medical issues that can and do come up. We have gotten spoiled to the "see the doc" world we live in and run to the nearest clinic for every sniffle or cut when time and careful care would often bring the same results. We run for antibiotics for minor cuts and infections because we don't want to have a scar or an unsightly bump on the bridge of someone's nose means "corrective" surgery. Junior has a sore throat?...better run for the strep test and antibiotics just in case it's something more than sinus drainage.

Don't take me wrong, I'm all for quality medical care when needed. The question to me is exactly where do we say it's needed .

13. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, they had the punchline. The nurse gave me a babyfood jar of pure iodine and a shringe and made me promise to squirt the iodine into the wound. I kept the promise. Stung like *heck*.

But it was a funny scene that night. I worked all day, but it didn't start to bleed untill about 4 in the afternoon. I got home about 9, took off my coveralls and pants. My long johns were soaked with blood from the wound down. I threw the long johns in the bathtub. There was a layer of coagulated blood coating my leg. I peeled that off and dropped that in the tub. Then my wife walked into the bathroom and had kittens.

14. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

My dh was a medic in the Army, so I am sure he could sew up some one ,no problem. Now his level of pain tollerence is pretty low so I am not sure if he could sew up him self.

15. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of humor here for a not-so-funny subject if the need ever arises and you CAN'T get to medical help. I've used super glue, animal type and human on myself as well as the critters, with good results. Just cut my ring finger really deeply while cutting up a deer, and since I'm home alone right now, I had to just do it myself. I'd love to have some of the topical anestetic to help with pain on someone else, tho! You need to know what you're doing, as some wounds require drainage to avoid infection. I'm just too impatient to go to the ER, which is 45 miles away, sit there for hours waiting, then home again, when I can do it myself, in MOST cases. Wouldn't hesitate if I'd cut an artery or something serious, to get help, tho. Jan in CO

16. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Yes. Been there, done that, many times including to myself. Super-glue works too. So does tape. The big issue is simply to close the edges together. And no, my family doesn't look like Frankenstein creations... :)

Cheers,

-Walter
    The Patchwork Man
    in Vermont

17. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Being stitched doesn't actually hurt much. It mostly is a tugging feeling. There really isn't a lot of pain associated with the process. I would suggest sharpening the needle well. Real surgical needles work best, with forceps but one does not always have that luxury. In a pinch sewing needles work just fine. One trick is you are pinching the skin together and that may be dampening sensation to a degree. Perhaps a bit like gate theory (accupunture).

18. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

While a young man, in the late 70's and early 80's. I had questionable habits and a low anger threshold. This lead to parts of my body being cut on with various weapons, and a bullet hole or two. I never wanted the law involved and learned that silver duct tape and butterfly bandages worked well and still do. Some of the scars are hardly noticeable.
    It is painful and not like the movies when stopping blood flow. In old timey ways.

19. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

Ive put a few stitches in myself over the yrs. Anything deeper than a 1/2 inch I would want a doctor to clean it and close it with a good antibiotic chaser.

a deep stitch you cant remove and you need the right material so the stitch absorbs. you can do a removeable deep stitch if you have to... bet it hurts like heck when you yank the thing out later, not to mention dragging contaminants deep into the meat. The army field surgery manual tells you how, in a pinch. Deep is bad, as some need to drain as they heal, some need to be left open, some need closed quickly.

short answer is yes, it isnt a big deal unless you are doing it with your non dominant hand or doing it to someone else who wont sit still.

20. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm doc so would consider but only if I have the good sutures and curved needles (bar FHTF situ) and if it isn't in need of deep sutures. Have operated on DH at work (and of course it got infected) and last time he cut himself- lip- I refused to suture since if it healed wonky I'd be reminded for the rest of his/my life. However the British NHS having a plastic surgeon put 7 stitches in a 1 cm cut; which I was almost willing to steristrip, were perhaps taking the mickey.

However could not except FHTF operate outside the family- if you might sue me I'd better be at work doing things properly. FAmily- well I've removed a mole from brother at home no anesthesia, failed to remove a cyst (via drainage) from dad at work, removed several moles DH at work, relocated DD's nursemaid's elbow at home and at work.