If you headcover, what type/thing do you use?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Dec 29, 2006.

What type of headcovering do you use?

1. I just have (long or short) hair, no extra covering

2. I wear traditional bonnets like the Amish and Mennonites

3. I wear triangle coverings or "kerchief" kinds

4. I wear mantillas

5. I wear Jewish scarves or traditional coverings

6. I wear whatever style I fancy at the time, I have many different options

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

This is sort of a poll and dicussion too. Please no debating or bashing one another, I'm just interested.

If I do start to cover again, I am going to try wearing Jewish scarfs or snoods. I tried to cover with triangle covers and they just never stayed attached to my head, even with 1000 clippies lol.

Kat

2. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

I have long hair, down to my waist.
    I wear a scarf to keep my head warm in the winter but that's about it.

3. mothergoose

mothergoose Well-Known Member

I too have hair down to my waist. It's usually in a bun or braid. In the winter, I cover with scarves or, a wool hat I made. In the summer, it's usually straw hats. I use a chop stick laced thru the hat and my hair to keep it in place. This last summer, it was so hot for soooo long that I took to using a flour sack dish towel as a "backwards aunt Jemima" type thing. Believe it or not, my DD's both said it "looked very cool" so, I added small earrings and saved my forehead from burning! My straw hats even fit better over it! A few more women started doing it out here too.....guess a trend got started! :shrug: Toni

4. ren87

ren87 Wannabe Homesteader

I am a Muslim and I wear hijab (Scarf)

It's interesting that only in the last 100 or so years, did Christian woman stop covering their heads.

To the OP, I admire your modesty, I read another of your posts recently about how difficult it is to find modesty clothing.

(I am more of a lurker, since I'm not a homesteader yet.. I'm living in India for the next few years, anyway, I don't want to cause a religious debate...)

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

none of the above.

around here we (both men and women) wear toques.

6. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

I often cover my head day to day for practical reasons. :angel: Barn work, painting, house cleaning......really bad hair days :baby04: .

But I always cover my head (arms, legs, upper body too) out of respect when I enter a Christian Monastery, Hindu Temple, Mosque or other conservative place of worship.
    I will also cover when I go visiting or trading with the Amish.

veme

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I'm bald, and keep my dome covered outside... in the summer (which around here is 10 or 11 months out of the year) I wear a camouflaged canvas hunting hat... when it's cccccold, I have a handmade balaclava, made out of midweight polyproplyene... and have some pile hats, that are designed for arctic use.

8. dhaley

dhaley Rebel Chick

I also have long hair, its almost to my waist. So to keep it out of my way I usually pull it back in a pony tail then wear a baseball type cap. I have a small collection of rebel flag hats I have collected so I don't have to wear the same one everyday. Of course my favorite is my Rebel Chick hat.

9. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

I dont head cover for religious reasons; but respect those who do for those reasons.
    My hats are -- angora bunny knit hat from my friend, who raises angoras (warm!) a baseball hat that says 'life is good', a long 'stocking' kind of pull on hat (like an elf's hat) that I wear walking/running. Also have a red cowboy hat type that I rarely wear--for some reason I fear that it's too 'loud' but I really like it. Also, seems to blow off my head easily.
    I dont have any illusions on how I look in these hats . . . I love hats & scarves, but I have a funny looking face for wearing them. I just enjoy them.
    Sherry

10. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

I don't cover all the time, although I have in the past. I do cover my hair at prayer, at synagogue and if it seems appropriate or I just want to. I wear bandanas sometimes, hats, scarves and kippahs (yarmulkes). My husband wears either a hat or a kipah most of the time, and my sons wear kipahs at synagogue and for prayer.

Sharon

11. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

I apologize in advance for any meanspirited anti-muslim posts by some of the less tolerant folks here.

12. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

I do not cover my head at all...I had my hair cut very short and kept it thata way for about a year but in casual conversation my DH mentions that he misses it longer so I am growing it back out...it is just now neck length the strands are about 3-5 inches long and flipping into a bit of a curl....sometimes I can get it to all flip the same direction and look like it is supposed to do it and sometimes I try to curl it under but it flips out anyways.....the sides are about to the middle of my ears

I live in an area where only the Menonites in the next town over cover part of their head/hair

Rachel

PS I am glad to see that Insocal apologized for what may be posted by others....what truely could be a learning experience will more than likely end in barbed replies! :(

13. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I really love wearing a head covering. Most of the time I just wear a ball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes, which are very sensitive to light. But when I am home I often wear a scarf, often wrapped "Caribbean" style. I own several Hijabs because I love them, but since I am not Muslim, I wouldn't feel right wearing them in public (I have a few Abayas too!).

If you notice in many other cultures women never go bare-headed. To me it just feels "weird" not to have something on my head especially when outside.

donsgal

14. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

The "choice" I was looking for in this poll was: "Depends on how bad my Bad Hair Day was going. If I'm really having a bad hair day, I just put a cap on. If I'm hot or sweating I tie a bandanna around my head. It just depends on the situation.

15. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I do not wear any covering but my hair. IF my dh were to bring it up and ask me to wear more covering, as a sign of subjection to him I would. But that would be the only reason.

Just curious Kat, what does your husband want you to do?

16. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Hubby is very tolerant and "cool" with me trying out new stuff. He didn't mind when I first covered, I did it for about a year.

He prefers me with long hair and I'm growing it out. I know in Corinthians it says our long hair is a glory and a God-given covering, so I'm opting for that being my only covering now.

If I am supposed to cover again I know God will show me and that Hubby will be very much for it at the time.

Kat

17. jd4020

jd4020 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been wearing a head covering for about a year and a half now, simply because I believe God has told me to. I believe He laid a curiosity upon my heart and as I went about trying to learn more about it, it seems the more I looked, read and studied about it, the more it seemed the right thing to do. I was not raised this way nor was around any women who covered until a few years ago, nor was my husband. He has no problem with me doing this and if he didn't want me to I would stop.
    I wear a triangle scarf for everyday, and for church and dressier occasions I wear a crocheted snood. My hair is about waist length and I keep it braided or in a bun; out here working with the farm machinery, I don't like to think what a pto shaft does when catching long loose hair.
    Just throwing a comment out here on the table, I like hats, have several myself, but since scripture talks about a vail/veil for a covering, I'm not sure a hat/cap would convey the same thing that Paul is teaching.
    Another thought I have had is that, since women did cover I don't think Jesus released women from wearing a covering, just released women from worrying what kind to wear. Else Paul wouldn't have re-affirmed it in his teachings. Jesus-Mat. 6:28 & Luke 12:27. Paul-1 Cor. 11 Anybody else ever seen it in this light?

18. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

well, this is certainly an education for me. I honestly don't know one person personally who covers her head. When I lived near an Amish community I was careful to dress very modestly but I still felt that the Amish women looked down on me.

So, could I ask here, to the women that do cover their head, do you look down on those that don't?.

Thanks for the insight, I never once thought of covering my head.

19. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

I do not cover my head but neither does anyone in any of the churches I ever went to either! I think women who do cover there hair is awesome. I would but would stick out like a sore thumb, being heavy already does that and add that and in Florida you would really stick out. Also Mike doesn't believe in covering of the hair he believes long hair covers it!

I have very curly unruly hair so long is nasty looking so it's about shoulder length or touch longer. Never shorter as Mike doesn't like short hair.

:clap: for you ladies that do!!! a1cowmilker I like you wander if ladies that cover look down on those that don't! Can't wait to hear the answers!

20. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

I certainly don't look down on people who don't cover their hair - I simply assume that they have a different definition of what constitutes modest dress, or appropriate address to G-d. That is, my assumption is that definitions of modesty vary a good bit, not that a person who doesn't live as I do is immodest.

Just a couple of thoughts about modesty in general. The first is that I think that many ways, a narrow definition of what is immodest (that is, only the genitals, or breasts and genitals) detracts from our sexuality, rather than enhances it. That is, when we define the parts of ourselves that are erotic as primarily our private bits, we essentially say to the world "hair isn't sexy" "ankles aren't a turn on" and "necks aren't erotic." I think I'd rather live in a world (and with a man) who hasn't become jaded, and thinks that necks and hair are beautiful and arousing. That does not mean that women are responsible for male sexual impulses, or that we should cover ourselves from head to toe, but I do think that as our definition of what is immodest has gotten narrower, we've lost some of the pleasures available to us. Regardless of whether it is modest or not, there is a special joy in marriage, IMHO, to reserving certain delights only for one another. Seeing your wife remove her scarf and uncoil her hair, or a man take off his shirt and knowing that that is *only* for me is a great pleasure for both husbands and wives (or at least for us).

The other thing is that I am a little surprised to see people saying that they would not cover their hair if their spouse objected. I guess I don't fully understand why Christian women cover their hair, if that is the case. Is it to be modest? Because I would think that if it were for reasons of modesty, you would want to be modest before G-d, as well as before any particular person, and that would override a husband's objections (maybe I'm underestimating how much a husband might object - I guess I have a hard time imagining a man really objecting to the strategic scarf), and if it is because women cover their heads at prayer, it would also be an issue of your actions before G-d. Why would your husband enter into it? Doesn't your relationship with G-d have priority? I'm asking this as a genuine question, not to criticize anyone.

Sharon