If you have log-in problems of any type, please read!

Discussion in 'HomesteadingToday Announcements & Support' started by Melissa, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

This issue seems to occur somewhat regularly and is normally easily resolved. If you log out each time, or you clean up your computer by deleting all of your cookies, you may have problems logging in again. If this happens, DO NOT use any shortcuts to get to the site, such as your favorites list, or a desktop icon. Instead, type the address manually into the address bar: www.homesteadingtoday.com Once you do this, then log in again. Now you can add it to your favorites list. You will be asked if you want to override the existing link, to which you should say YES! This cures the problem about 99% of the time.

2. Melissa

Melissa member

Dean, if you are on, can you stick this thread for a while??? Thanks!

3. It thanks me for logging on after following your instructions and shows me at the bottom of the page as online....but I still can't get a "welcome" screen for me with access to my PMs etc.

Help! PS. I never got the choice about overriding anything.

BCR

4. Never mind....I figured it out....I set security to high the other day and so no new cookies are being made.....

Sorry.

5. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Hi, just giving this a try. Haven't been able to post sometimes, or other times can't pm. No complaints, just trying to see if this works! thanks!

HAH! It worked!

6. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I would like to add to this, since I had it happen to me this morning, that after you do the repair on your favorites list....you also need to delete and redo your desktop shortcut if you use one.

7. Well, I've tried all this stuff, and still can't log-on, and it won't let me re-register, either.

Now what?

Meg Z

8. Melissa

Melissa member

Sometimes you have to try it more than once for it to work. You might also have to shut your computer down, restart it and then log in. That often helps too.

9. D

D Well-Known Member

This is a test!

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Well - if this would be a car, I'd be looking for a free fix from the mechanic who wrecked it in the first place, not that type of an explination! :) Odd thing with computers - it's the only place where the consumer is always wrong! :)

When I log in, it welcomes me, gives me my info, I try to reply to a message, has my name in the box and is so happy with me.....

When I hit submit, I am told it doesn't know who I am, it does not like me, & I need to register or else! If I back, my typed message is gone. Poof.

It seems if I register from the very topmost 'Homesteading' page it works. If I try to register from within any subset of your site, like for example on this page I am typing - it will not accept me.

As long as those registrations are not accepted anyhow, why not remove them from this web site, and only have the one official resistration button on the very top main web page?

It is very frustrating to feel you are logged in & have your work flushed away....

I wish vBulletin had some competition so they would write better code, instead of just more bloated code on their 'updates'. I sure have issues with their forum software, but it seems to be the only way to go - they must have a good advertising revenue setup for vendors.

--->Paul

11. MoparJohn

MoparJohn New Member

Melissa,

Hi. I'm typing R E A L slowly, trying to contain my frustration. I typed a long letter, explaining the problems I've been experiencing trying to log on. I will try to re-create the post below as best I can from memory, but when I tried to submit, it said I wasn't logged in, so I logged in with the new name and password. It said that name was already logged in. After telling me I wasn't. So I re-logged in, and guess what? IT LOST MY DAD_GUMMED POST. No exageration, it took me 20 minutes to type and proof that post. GRRRR When you read below, you'll understand my frustration. Please help me. :)

Hi Melissa,

I know my nickname shows as MoparJohn, but I'm really JohnD in Pa. I have been unable to log in for over a week. It all started a week ago, someone had posted the picture of the deer with the hunters strapped to the hood of the jeep. My brother in law is an avid hunter, so I tried to forward the picture to him. MY MSN would not forward the picture, saying it contained a virus. Well, I immediately tried to reply to that post to warn others of the possible virus. It (the board) wouldn't let me reply, even as unregistered or guest. I tried to log on with my name, but couldn't remember my password. (I thought I knew it, but the board says I don't). It asked if I'd like the info sent to me, and I said yes. A few hours later, I still hadn't recieved it, so I tried the whole shooting match over again. Same results. And to this day, I haven't recieved my password or log in info. I even went to the member list to see if my name was what I thought it was. Yup, I got that part right. Just wrong password. I even went to the post I'm replying to, and tried what it said. NOPE, didn't work.
    Fast forward to tonight. I tried to log in, no go. So, good old clever Irishman that I am, I tried to re-register with a new name. NOPE. "We already show a membership at that email address, would you like us to email you your login and password information, etc etc etc." GRRRRR. So, I used an email address that I use as a backup, and VIOLA!. I'm in.

Iwould like to remain as JohnD, not Moparjohn. That is my log-in on automotive boards, and not really appropriate for a Homesteading board. Besides, with my advanced case of CRS (can't remember...), I remember passwords and logins by association. Mopar=cars. not Homesteading. We'd just be going thru this again when I forget that one.:)

Melissa, anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    MoparJohn, er I mean, JohnD in Pa.

That was a condensation of the first letter. Imagine my dismay when it went POOF!. Hopefully it doesn't happen this time. But, then again, if it does, you'll never know, will you? :)

Here's prayin for a safe "trip". Thanks again

John

12. MoparJohn

MoparJohn New Member

In an ironic twist,you almost didn't get the above post. I got bumped by my ISP just as I hit the "submit" button. I sat for a minute or so, collected my wits, all 1/2 of them, and hit submit again. Ta-DAAAA.

Ain't life grand?

13. Melissa

Melissa member

Oh wow, that is so frustrating. Have you tried following the above steps exactly? Have you run a virus scan? I use www.housecall.antivirus.com as a backup virus scan.

Have you shut down your computer and restarted it? Normally these problems really are just cookie problems and can be fixed by following the steps listed above exactly.

14. MoparJohn

MoparJohn New Member

Melissa,
    Have I run a virus scan? Yes, I have Norton with all the options and automatic update daily. Shut down and restarted? Yes a couple of times. I don't believe it is a cookie problem. I asked for my information to be sent to my email address, which has nothing to do with cookies. I gave the information needed to email me, ie- email address and my log-in name. Still no info recieved. I did, however, recieve my welcome to the group note at my other address I used to "re-join". :)

Any other ideas? I mean, I'll keep this other log-in if I have to, I just think there is a problem that needs addressed. After I hit send, I'll log off and try to log on with the old name and see what happens. If I'm successful, I'll reply to this post within minutes. If there is no reply, then nothing has changed. Cross your fingers.:)

John

15. Melissa

Melissa member

Ask on the computer forum, maybe Don or Karen can help. I am not much of an expert in this area.

As to the virus scan, I have had housecall catch things that Norton did not, so it might not hurt to run it anyways.

16. MoparJohn

MoparJohn New Member

Okey Dokey, I"ll check in over there in a little bit. And the other virus scan, I"ll give them a try. Heck, none of them are perfect, and you can't have TOO much coverage, can you. :)
    Thanks for the effort. See ya around.

John

17. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I got a different computer a few weeks ago and have had log in problems every since. I simply can't stay logged in and have done everything in the "do this" section I can possibly do to no avail.

Well this morning I tried something different and no more problems staying logged in so that posts and surfing to General Chat can be done. I switched from my preferred Netscape browser and gave Internet Explorer a try. Yes, IE works without having to continually log in once or twice for every post I make.
    HOWEVER the down side is that Adaware is already showing more items for removal simply because IE is more vulnerable than Netscape. Bummer. Can't have our cake and eat it too. (Can't have Kate, and Edith too.)

I guess my only real solution is to use IE for Homesteadingtoday then run all of my defenses as soon after as I can. Sigh! I could learn to hate Microsoft.

18. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I can use Homesteading Today with no problem at work. I do not have a computer at home but I do have MSN/WebTV. I can view Homesteading Today with no problem and I can even login, however I cannot post or reply to any posts. Any idea why this is or how to fix it?

I would also like to change my profile so I can send and receive PM's but I do not see an option to do this.

19. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

country
    go to your user cp button under the google ad on the right of the top of the page.

Go to options, then you can check to get pm's and e-mails.

AngieM2

20. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

One big CONGRATS living with the down and getting it all up again. Best wishes to all that understand all this and keep this forum going. :p :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
    Okay, maybe I've overdone it. Maybe NOT!