Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20-year old metal garage door had gotten really loud (squeaking and groaning) every time it went up or down.

It bothered me and probably woke the neighbors up it was so loud.

I replaced the rollers with the ones that have ball bearings and it was slightly quieter, but still REALLY loud.

These:

I finally took some WD-40 and lubricated each of the little hinges between each section of the door and it is now super quiet.

The little hinges are stamped sheet metal. These:

You might try it if your garage door is making a loud noise.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I agree. I would recommend this though.
WD 40 seems to evaporate quickly, and is almost nonexistent after a couple weeks.

Another tip, I worked with a guy who has a garage door company. If you have a torsion spring on your garage door- take an oil can and soak that sucker for the length of the spring. You’ll be amazed at how much smoother and quieter the door is.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
WD 40 seems to evaporate quickly, and is almost nonexistent after a couple weeks.

Another tip, I worked with a guy who has a garage door company. If you have a torsion spring on your garage door- take an oil can and soak that sucker for the length of the spring. You’ll be amazed at how much smoother and quieter the door is.
Good ideas, thanks.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yes, thanks. WD-40 is pretty short lived but I just tried it because it was handy and aerosol.

Possibly the worst lubricant is the aerosol heavy black "Garage Door Lubricant". It's a heavy grease that gets on everything.

I did the torsion springs lubrication a month or two ago. My door actually would not go all the way down (even manually) because the springs were binding. I sprayed them with aerosol white lithium grease, worked the door up and down a number of times, and now it works fine.

Reactions: todd_xxxx

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had a garage door that sounded like a train wreck each cycle after just the first winter..
Like said... Dripping wet with the thickest lube you can get into every nook, cranny, and surface your trying to lube.. And do this often..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes, thanks. WD-40 is pretty short lived but I just tried it because it was handy and aerosol.

Possibly the worst lubricant is the aerosol heavy black "Garage Door Lubricant". It's a heavy grease that gets on everything.

I did the torsion springs lubrication a month or two ago. My door actually would not go all the way down (even manually) because the springs were binding. I sprayed them with aerosol white lithium grease, worked the door up and down a number of times, and now it works fine.
I'm a huge fan of white lithium grease too. Works great on AK-47s as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts