If you had....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gnawsey, May 10, 2005.

1. Gnawsey

Gnawsey Well-Known Member

$200,000 to start a homestead, where would you go? Right now my hubby and I have a track home in the bay area of california that has gone up in value over $200,000 since we bought the house 4 years ago.

I have always lived in small towns, until I went away to college. My dad built our house in Idaho when I was a small girl. I never lived on a paved road until I was 19. I grew up with horses and big gardens. I really miss that part of my life.

My husband has a well paying job now, and it doesn't make much sense to pack up right now, but I always like to have a plan B ready. He works for a start-up company, and employment is never a sure thing from one quater to the next.

We are also thinking that in 4 years time, when we have saved up enough, that he can quit work and try to make a go of it with his own machine shop.

We are both handy and could do a fixer-upper. We would both like to live on the west coast, since both of our families live in california now. We are thinking nothern California, Oregon, Arizona ect. Plus it would have to have a nice school district. I have a 2 year old son.

So, I guess I'm asking are there any places out there that would be doable? Does anyone know of affordable land within california or oregon?

Thanks for your help!

Stacie

2. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

If I had 200,000 to start a homestead, I would never work off the farm again.

Good luck.

3. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

You could probably get a two bed room up here in mariposa[ calif] for about that then rent it for a couple years tell you could move. This is a great place to raise kids, They trick or treat down main street then go to the fair grounds for carnival afterward. At Christmass santa comes to town and takes pictures with the kids around a big bonfire and there is a treasure hunt during the day.

4. Gnawsey

Kathy, that sounds like a great little city. We don't live far from there right now. Maybe one weekend we'll drive out and take a look.

Stacie

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Better go someplace that has lots of water. West is not the place to be in the next few years. CA, CO, UT, NM, AZ, NV all are in major trouble regarding having enough water and it will only get worse. Look for areas with high rainfall and lots of lakes.

6. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

The Oroville are of Butte county a few years ago was reasonable '99-'00, but it didnt interest me being from central Idaho. There are quite a few ranch properties all over Northern california, ya just have to figger out which area you want to have Property in and start looking.... $200K would put a good down on a million dollar ranch. try the classified section of Western Livestock Journal for oregon and california ranch properties, some are small, most are huge... but the realators all have websites with other propeties on them too.

I kinda like the nearly 9 million dollar 28,000 deeded, 425,000 acre ranch in Christmas Valley Oregon that is listed with www.knipeland.com]Knipe Land company[/URL] of course it would take another 3 million to put cattle on it, but it comes with 12 ranch hand houses, and its own telephone system. Ok so thats out of reach for most of the readers on this site, save one or two i 'spect, but a feall can dream cant he???

Another thing that is in the WLJ is the help wanted section that covers ranch related jobs, it does take some speacil knowledge for some of the positions, but help is help and when its needed and a person wants to give it a try who knows it might work out for someone here.

William

7. Gnawsey

Hey thanks William...but I think a million dollars is out of our reach. I KNOW 9 million would be a strech. lol We are thinking that with 200,000 or close to it, we won't have a morgage. I'm not looking for a ranch. Maybe just a nice place where we could have 5-10 acres.

Stacie

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

If you had $200,000 you could Retire in SE OK & never have to leave your place.

9. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) All I can tell you is that my dh and I were in these same circumstances(but in Las Vegas)and wanted out of there!

Firstly, we each made a list of what each of us absolutely had to have. Then we listed what each of us thought was negotiable. Then things that would be nice but we could do without.

This will go a long way in determining where you start looking.

For instance..I insisted that we be on land with permanent water( a river or lake)..and enough acreage to have whatever animals I wanted to have.. Also, no close neighbors..not too close to "civilization". Very quiet unless it was MY animals making noise. LOL And I wanted to be within an hour of the Pacific Ocean.

My dh's "absolutes" were: Land that was reasonably flat(he had empysema). Close to good medical care. Very good, well maintained roads. Within reasonable distance of a good Barbershop Chorus(he was a lifelong singer, I retired from the stage). Not too far from civilization.

Both of us wanted a mild climate and with reasonable expectation's of little severe weather or cataclismic events and with a small town as "our town". NO horrid gridlock! A reasonable tax structure was required.

We then got copies of all the books available on "Places Rated for Living" and all that.... rating climate, earthquake possibilities, and other things we wanted to avoid like tornados. LOL And started narrowing down and then visiting states and places that we thought were worth looking at.

So, that is how I suggest you approach this. It is amazing how different a couple's expectations can be from one anothers and usually are.

No one can tell you where you should settle. People are just too different and all of us have different needs and expectations and backgrounds. I'm a country girl, my dh was a city boy. We each will or will not put up with certain things...or must have certain things to be content.

Good luck and have fun...we had a great time with this search!

LQ

10. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Places I'd live???

Baja, California Sur (whales!)
    Central Florida (cheap, great growing seasons, lots of animals and water)
    Central VA (seasons, mountains, nice people)
    Ashland, OR (nice, cheaper, nice people, maybe a little too much rain)

good luck on your search

Beaux

11. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

$200,00. ? Live where I do now. Buy more property down the road. maybe go to colorado, wyoming, montana, yellowstone.
    tnborn

12. Gnawsey

That is good advice Little Quacker. I know for my husband, he wants to live somewhere where there is little to no snow. Maybe when he gets home tonight we will make some lists. Thanks,
    Stacie

13. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

:D like Michigan. I'd probably either stay where I am, or cross the bridge to the UP if I had that much $$... and wouldn't have to work for anyone again.

Kaza

14. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

I would buy as most property as I could in montana, colorado, wyoming, idaho or eastern oregon. And start a cattle ranch.

15. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

I would stay right here in Texas!
    I was born in NC, lived in Colorado and Nebraska. LOVE Texas.

16. longearsfarm

longearsfarm Well-Known Member

Hi Stacie

My DH and I were in the same place you are about 5 years ago -- we lived in San Carlos, on the SF Peninsula, had a house that shot up in value, DH worked for an Internet company and I was home, but freelancing, with my then 2yo DD.

When DH's company was sold, we started to seriously think we could relocate pretty much anywhere. We had a tiny lot on a busy street with neighbors you could see out your kitchen window...not the life we wanted at all.

But a move out of the "mainstream" does require a lot of thought. For DH, who intended to keep working, he wanted to be no more than an hour from a major metro area. And close to the ocean. I wanted a big old farmhouse and a decent sized piece of land. We both wanted the Napa Valley -- but of course couldn't afford anywhere near what we wanted there. LOL We considered central CA -- where I'm from -- too hot for DH. Northern northern CA and Oregon were too rainy for me. We'd lived, in the mid-90s, in Boston for a year and both of us had fallen in love with New England. Though I hate the snow.

In the end, we bought an old farmhouse on 6 acres an hour north of Boston, just shy of the New Hampshire border. We're 20 minutes, max, from the ocean, we can take a train into Boston, though DH drives in. We live in a small town of around 3500 people. Very horsey, relatively rural, though McMansions *are* springing up. Good schools, good rural resources abound, the weather, well, it's New England :) but I can do my morning animal chores in my PJs (and mostly do!) cause I can't see my neighbors and they can't see me. We have a great old house, a fixer-upper, but it's coming along, and our property is wonderful.

You won't regret making a big move. But it is hard to start over, particularly with a child, so just make sure you consider all the aspects. A silly but important thing for me moving here was what did people do with their young kids all winter long? LOL Being from CA, only a rainstorm kept us from going to the park, and I wasn't sure what the heck I'd do with my active 2yo.

Ok, enough from me good luck!
    Valerie
    LongEars Farm

17. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Here in so-cal we're only an inch away from an all time rainfall record set back in the 1880s. We've gotten double the rainfall/snowfall this season along with floods, mudslides and stressed dams. Haven't heard much drought talk lately.

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Central Florida is cheap? LOL, compared to what? :) I live in south central Florida and 1.25 acres is $32 - 37K right now. I don't think you can find acreage anywhere for under $15K per in central Florida unless you purchased over 1000 acres at a time or didn't mind living in the swamp for a meager 10K per acre. Any place other than Florida is more reasonable, imo. And if anyone is wantin gto buy in Florida, work through a lawyer and see the property first. Rising land prices have attracted thieves by the score and they want your money.

19. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Boy Dave you are right, our house in Mariposa got more rain then our house in Tacoma Washington. Last year had to water starting in March this year wont need to start tell June!

20. Gnawsey

ok Valerie, are we seperated at birth. lol

you and your husband sound just like me and my husband. I want some land with an old farm house that we can fix up, and he wants to live near the ocean, in a place that doesn't snow, close to a city. Plus, we have a 2 year old. Next year, my hubby and I are playing a trip back east to visit my husbands' uncle. Neither one of us has been back east. Maybe we will fall in love with a place while we are there.

Stacie