If you had your own state/island.....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by vegascowgirl, Jan 10, 2007.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

What laws would you create?

Just thought it would be fun and interesting to find out what people would do if they were the "rulers" of their own land.

I think the first thing I would do is to ban all cars.
    Horses, bikes, other non mechanized ways of travel only. This would cut down on polution, and it would promote excercise into daily lives.

Insurance would be provided, rather than payed for. This would allow everyone to have the same coverage.

childrens hospitals and pediatric wards would have rooms where parents could stay with their children.

no residential lot could have less than two acres of land.

I could probably think of more but thought I'd stop there. of course this is all fantasy. But it's fun to dream. it may not be your idea of paradise though, so lets hear yours.
    BTW. lets not pick a part each others dreams...this is for fun.

SO, How would you rule?

2. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

is this a sovereing nation ?
    Simple basic laws and harsh punishments .
    murder , the guilty party would be turned over to the victims familyfor justice ,same for rape.
    stealing , theives would be slaves to those they stole from untill restitution was fullfilled. public floggings and exicutions .
    postitution ,gambling, and even some drugs would be legal though regulated.
    Gun owner ship manditory. renewable engery a must .
    the primary "state " income would come from tourism with legal gambling sex and drugs there would be plenty of tourists .

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I agree with PyroDon...but I would include NO GAMBLING ON ANIMALS. That just stuff just kills me.

Let me know when we can make the move. :)

4. PyroDon

Good point no blood sports (dog/chicken/ fish fighting )
    hopefully this is a tropical island , going topless would be legal for both sexs.
    bottoms must be covered for hygenic reasons.

5. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I'm sure it would be a wonderful place. Thanks for posting.

6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

2 Laws:

1. Respect each other's rights, or be punished appropriately.
    2. No further laws shall be passed.

7. PyroDon

I definatey agree with the full medical coverage of all citizens.
    Some childrens hospitals do have rooms or beds in the the childs room for parents.
    I would further make it ilegal for noncitizens to own land or businesses .
    tourism would be allowed but illegal aliens would be deported and the owners/managers of any business hiring illegals would face a min of 5 years hard labor.
    inurance would be strongly regulated to prevent the legalized extortion the US currently has. The same would be true for lending institutions and credit cards , interest rates would be fully controled so that everyone recieved the same rate.
    education would be the number 1 priority.
    Freedoms would be well defined and any attempts to subvert them would be considered treason,those found guilty would loose citizen ship and be deported or imprisoned .

8. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

First, I'd ban poison ivy.

Then, I'd find some way to punish people who pick the bits they want out of dishes in Chinese buffet lines and leave the broccoli and onions behind.

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

All this wonderful free stuff without paying one penny for taxes. What a way to run a country. Do we get to vote on who will be King or Queen

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

first of all i would let no one else in therefore elimanating the need for laws

11. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Boy, I guess if I could design anything I wanted I'd make a theocratic society that valued manual labor, a quiet life, limited use of modern contrivances, value of family, etc.

Oh, wait... the Amish already exist.

Never mind...

12. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

:rolleyes: Ya'll just can't imagine what it takes for me to drag this hermit (mtman) off our mountain. If left to him, we'd be wiping with leaves!

If it was an island, I would choose carefully who was allowed to live there. Since, realistically, there can't be "free" medical insurance without taxes, etc., I think I'd do it like this:
    Only let people in who have a trade to contribute. The doctor's job would be doctoring the ill in trade for his sustenance. Same with a dentist. Gardeners to raise the food that would feed everyone. Alternative power experts to provide power. Plumbers to ensure water where needed. Vets to care for the animals. No one would need money because their needs would be taken care of by the folks on the island.
    Certainly some things could only be gotten from somewhere else, so anything that can be sold would produce the necessary monies to purchase medical supplies, etc. No personal monetary profit allowed!

This is NOT to be confused with the USSR's way of dictating who can grow/produce what. When someone isn't working, now someone else has to work twice as hard. That doesn't work.

Bottom line is, no one would be allowed to come stay unless they were willing to use their talents/knowledge/physical labor to sustain others while the others are sustaining theirs.

I'm sure ya'll can shoot holes in this. Go ahead. I didn't put TOO much thought into it. It just sounded like it's a good start.

13. Andy Nonymous

Andy Nonymous Registered, here...

William Penn said it well: "those who will not be ruled by God, will be ruled by tyrants". I might also add "Those who are ruled by God need no other law, as their Love of God manifests as love of their Brethren in all ways, that none have need that another may provide, with all having "willing hands" to lend".

*Looks around*
    So much for that idea.

14. PyroDon

who said there wouldnt be taxes , the main industry would be tourism, while citizens would not be taxed the tourist industry would be . Though quietly the tax would be included in the price rather than tacked on . Imports would as well be taxed promoting the islands own production.
    another way of funding everything would be simple ask the US for money to combat terrorists :rolleyes:

15. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

More like Monaco?
    Angie

16. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

hmmm I would be VERY picky as to who could live there.....registered s** offenders would be out. probably anyone with a criminal record would be out.....maybe a case by case basis though. their beliefs would have to be in line with mine (hey it is MY island!) they would have to want the same things in life (generally) as me. Self suffiency would be mandantory....no welfare. I think there would be a general pot so to speak to help out someone that was say burned out by fire or sick or something like that. laziness would not get any help though. Animals would be mandantory. goats, chickens, cattle, pigs. Barter would be the main way to get goods you don't have. Credit would be very limited so no one could get in over their heads. People would work together to help each other when needed and it would feel like a big family.

17. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

Don't ruin this thread, Pyro. Stick to the OP, or go to GC.

18. lvshrs

lvshrs Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm I like this thread!

Lets see...just off the top of my head...

Every citizen:
    -must take mandantory self defense,gun safety course.
    -education will be #1 priority
    -must take parenting classes in "When kids are bad a red rear will help"
    -must contribute if they want free health care

Only "Green" buildings/vehicles--organic agriculture
    -solar/wind and water power
    -rain catchment systems
    -mandantory recycling

The punishment shall fit the crime.
    -rape---neuter
    -theft---manual labor till the amount stole is repaid
    -murder---death penalty

19. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Some very good ideas -

Except the topless idea - you don't know what you are asking!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were to adopt a lot of these ideas, as in like minded people, then I might have a island of people like me. While I don't think I am a bad person, not sure I want to live with an island full of me. I like and appreciate differentness.

In the idea of everyone working and contributing - how would excellence or mediocrity be dealt with?

In other words, would there be extra reward for excellence?

If one could only do mediocre work, would one be 'sent off the island'?

If one were lazy, would they be sent away?

Who would make the judgements on this?

Of course, since the questions is if 'I' had an island and made the laws, then I would also make all the judgments -not sure I want that job.

Maybe like someone said, I would live alone on that island with just my family. Of course, I wouldn't get the make the rules in that case.

20. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

all very interesting. Love the different ideas.