Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i would pay off all but the house and if there was any extra put it into my kids college funds.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I loooove the stained glass idea!

With a market garden you have to put in a lot of time on the garden plus a lot of time vending, and it's a seasonal income. Also your market is limited to local folks.

With stained glass you can work day or night, you don't have to sit at a roadside stand all day long, and you can sell your work online or on commission at art galleries or fine crafts stores. Broader market. Plus your business isn't seasonal.

Think about the stained glass some more.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Considering that you would like to be a SAHM and that you live on acreage with good road frontage, I'd suggest building a couple of nice greenhouses and growing potted herbs and bedding plants. You can sell them right off the property to save money on marketing, middlemen, etc.. And it's something the kiddos can participate in...planting seeds, watering plants, picking herbs. You could also dry and sell some of the herbs you grow. I would think that the $15k could set you up pretty well to get started in the business.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Jinxie said:
CJ I LOVE this idea....can I pm you w/ some ideas I have for this?
We just had our greenhouse delivered on Friday afternoon. It's 12'-6" x 8'-4" made from western red cedar with 4 ply poly panels for the windows. We ordered it from Charley's using some of the money we got after my father passed away last year. DW will be using it for her own hobby/entertainment with the idea to expand into a home backyard nursery in the near future. Check out www.freeplants.com

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I selfishly admit that I would buy myself an old truck. Not just any old truck but a beauty like this one below. My parents had an old 1934 International before I could drive and ever since then, I've been a total sucker for any truck from that old era.

I could write off the expense of buying it by filling the back of it with bundled flowers in pretty paper and sell them for 3.00 a bunch here. Others are! Roadside stands are very popular for selling flowers, eggs, soaps and other homemade gifts from your own home...especially when you are out in the country!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts