Homesteading Forum banner

Do you spray your commercial wheat right before harvest?

• Yes

• No

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know ... If you're more serious about it than us simpletons who just play homestead. :)

Do you spray pesticides on your wheat before harvest ? Specifically just before harvest, not a billion times before and while it's growing, but just before you harvest it?

No need to elaborate - this can be completely confidential, unless you want us to know you're real farmer and not a pretend one. ;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
What is the point of this thread? To lurk out who's growing commodity crops vs a small garden?

I know lots of ppl who sevin dust and roundup the begeezus out of their gardens, yard etc.... and farmers who only spray herbicide once for a stale seedbed prior to planting grains etc... there is a lot of diversity in agriculture ya know ;)

·
Registered
805 Posts
In the Southeast, wild onions are endemic. Wild onion seed in wheat makes it unsuitable for making bread, I know, I've tried hand grinding wheat and the onions make it taste terrible. Wheat with onions is only suitable for livestock feed and would bring a lower price. The remedy is to spray with 2,4d or some other herbicide that I'm not familiar with. Therefore many years ago I quit trying to grow the tiny amount of wheat that I tried. My one attempt to spray with 2,4d was unsucessful.

2,4d on wheat is sprayed in the early spring when the wheat and the onions are just a few inches tall. I don't know about conditions in the Northern wheat belt where spring wheat is planted.

COWS

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Besides corn and beans, a fair amt. of winter wheat is grown around me. I've never noticed it sprayed at all.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
Around here wheat is sprayed very rarely But it's usually one of two things , onions in early spring.
I suspect the answer you are looking for is the second reason about a week before desired harvest day Roundup is sometimes sprayed to eliminate Green both in the wheat and weeds in the crop.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
You know ... If you're more serious about it than us simpletons who just play homestead. :)

Do you spray pesticides on your wheat before harvest ? Specifically just before harvest, not a billion times before and while it's growing, but just before you harvest it?

No need to elaborate - this can be completely confidential, unless you want us to know you're real farmer and not a pretend one. ;)

What do you consider a pesticide? Are you on a witch hunt against glyphosate again?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shannon, put a real limit on the time, not "right before" or "just right before". A real value, such as X hours or days allows for less interpretation.
Okay. "Several days" before harvest.

Thanks for those who are willing to share info so that others may become more informed. I know it's taboo to question the hand that "feeds" you these days but there those out there who truly have a vested interest in what they allow into their body and don't just go with the flow when it comes their health.

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
There is a current facebook thing going around about how bad we farmers are for spraying our wheat before harvest. Some grossly un-informed folk, has gone on a rampage and made stuff up. She is trying to link the practice to gluten intolerance. IE. it is not the gluten, it is the glyphosate.

I would say that less than 10% of North American wheat is actually sprayed with anything pre-harvest. And if it is, it is sprayed with about 12 ounces per acre. Not all the herb goes on the seeds.

The funniest thing about the article that my wife showed me that is tearing up the facebook circuit, is that the author said farmers do it because, get this, "It stimulates the wheat to make more seeds!" No joke, the author says that applying glyphosate causes the wheat to kind of panic, and somehow grow more seeds.

Ummm, no. The wheat is ripe, it is not growing, it is not even able to take in herbicide any more, and the maximum number of seeds has been set by the three or four leaf stage.

The author also uses such jargon as "doused". Since when is a half a pound of active ingredient, sprayed over an acre, dousing? Since when is a can of pop amount of herbicide, sprayed on 3 or 4 thousand pounds of grain, dousing?

Once I read the article, I was happy to inform my limited facebook world, that it was a royal, huge, honking, un-informed farce yet again.

What other career has to constantly defend itself from stupidity? Who is attacking the mechanics, calling them inept, over and over? Who is attacking nurses and telling them they are doing it all wrong?

It gets tiring, but I will not quit. When 1 % of north americans farm, our voice is miniature, compared to the number who do not farm, yet attack us with mis-information, and spread filth among consumers.

Listen to quacks, bloggers, and non-farmers.

But DO NOT ASK A FARMER!

In this case, I thank you Pretty Paisley, for asking and giving us a chance to reply!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well perhaps now that someone else would like to know we can get some answers.

But I'm thinking is we will get more lessons in how we should all be drinking glyphosate for breakfast and adding it to sugar water for our bees all winter. ;)

·
Premium Member
41,013 Posts
There were several farmers (including my family) that raised wheat and other grains when I was growing up.... they never sprayed their grain crops. I recall only a couple things about raising wheat... Grampa always said when the crop was ready to harvest.... go fishing for a week... that way when you got home it would actually be ready.
Then there was a neighbor who was thrilled when several variety of grains were developed that could be planted at the same time, and be ready for harvest at the same time... His comment has stuck with me.... "When they get it to grow already in the jug.. then they will really have something!".

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Okay, since the question has been clarified here's my answer.

The last "pesticide" we apply is at flowering which is about one month before harvest. This application contains a fungicide, an insecticide, and a foliar fertilizer.

·
Premium Member
8,354 Posts
Heartily recommended by Monsanto..... http://roundup.ca/_uploads/documents/MON-Preharvest%20Staging%20Guide.pdf

Used on many pulse crops. Theory(and practice)is to spray Roundup on the crop before harvest--after all, it is in the diedown stage already--to dry it uniformly and get a quicker harvest; AND kill weeds present in the field, which need to be sprayed at the optimum time for best kill effect.

Not taking any side in the upcoming war which is about to happen before this thread gets locked.

geo

"Avoid GMO.....GYO(grow your own.)"

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.