If you don't have a trash service

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by AuntieM, Jul 24, 2006.

1. AuntieM

AuntieM Member

What do you do with your plastics and other stuff, like metal cans & aluminum foil? My neighbors burn everything, but I hate being outside when they do it, it stinks and I think it's probably not safe to breathe, so I don't want to do that.

2. manfred

manfred Well-Known Member

3. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

We recycle all we can and take it to the local land fill. Trash is $1.25 a bag, and we usually have a couple bags of that also.

katlupe

4. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

We have burn can and we recycle what we can also - the only thing we usually have to get rid of is metal like you mentioned. I have a friend that make a run to the scrap yard about every 2 months and we just give him all of the metal to add to his stash. He is known in our area and actually makes about 200-400 every couple of months when he makes his haul.

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Our town has a dumpster that we put our trash in and it's $1 per bag.
    They also accept plastic, glass, magazines, newspaper, tin, aluminum and cardboard for recycling. What they don't accept, my parents' trash pick up accepts, so I will take it there.
    We burn all our PAPER trash.
    Compost what we can.
    Pigs and chickens take care of the rest.

Our neighbors burn EVERYTHING. We hear aerosol cans exploding.

Might want to check to see if there are town ordinances regarding open burning.

Edited to add: We have become much more conscious of the packaging involved when we make a purchase. Can I recycle the packaging? Safely burn it? Reuse it? Sometimes I'll not buy an item because of it. Think about all the roadside garbage right after Christmas when every kid received a toy that's been wrapped in plastic and a box and wrapping paper. Overkill.

6. C@TFISH

C@TFISH smells like garlic

I throw bags of pop cans by the side of the road with a can tied to the outside of it so the Can Guy can recognize it. Every town has a Can Guy that walks along the side of the road looking for cans.

7. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I drive into the city and go behind the American Legion, to use their dumpster.

I am a member there.

:)

8. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

We actually opt out of our trash service. It's 35 a month to pick up. We recycle all the paper, plastice and metals. It cost only 15 for 100+ pounds of non recyclable trash. if we take it ourselves to the transfer station and all the free recycling . we maybe pay 20 every 4 months. to get rid of our trash. and we just moved in too so we have a lot of stuff that the previous owners left.

9. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

We take everything to the landfill ourselves--there's no charge here to dispose of household waste. We save our aluminum cans and turn them in for cash at the local junk yard.

10. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

11. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Take it to the recycleing center stuff that is not recycleable they charge a small fee to dispose of it, the neighbors burn all theirs even though they have the money to dispose of it properly I hate it when the wind blows from the south on their burn days.Right now due to my deployment DW says the barn is about full of my families accumalated garbage (and the racoons have scattered it about some) my work will be cut out for me when I return.

12. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

Please reduce, reuse, and recycle! I know it sounds cliche, but the earth really does need all of the help it can get.

13. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Burning plastics and even the paper they use on freezer items releases toxins that will affect YOU. It is illegal in most places.

14. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I recycle, compost, and burn

15. rufus

rufus Well-Known Member

I recycle everything they will take and even some extras. Most times I don't sort so I am a job creater since they will have to hire someone to sort at the plant. What burns goes in steel barrels for the job and when they are full, I take them to the landfill where they charge by the ton. With our family of three, I have about 2 sometimes three barrels full in a year.

16. AuntieM

AuntieM Member

Apparently, it's not here. I will check at the landfill and see if if I can take it there directly & see if there are any recycle places around. Currently, we are paying for trash pickup, but when we move, we won't have that option and I'd like to ease into not having it now.

17. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

We mostly burn and we have this one area for diapers and we take it to the dump when its full. The cans and jars go with it. We dont keep it near the house and it fills up just about in time for the free dumpster use by the township so we just pay for the gas 2 miles down the road to the town hall. Otherwise its 65 dollars a month for trash removal and we dont want to pay that much

18. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I know and it is illeagal where I am also but I dont want to turn in my neighbors for that so they can turn me into the NAIS police in a few years.