If you could write your own college program..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nans31, Dec 18, 2004.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

what would it contain? I have the opportunity to go back to college, and participate in an Individualized Certificate Program. I will take it to an Associate's degree. This is described as "an opportunity to pursue a custom-designed worksite based learning program that is not available through apprenticeship or other college program."
    I want to go agriculture route. I have started a commercial rabbitry, and want to have some business sense along with it. (I'm coming from health care field) There isn't any large rabbitry's around here, so probably will go with some dairy expereince. I'd love to explore AI. Bookkeeping makes sense, although I HATE math!! UGH. But, basic bookkeeping I can do.
    So, if you could have a program custom tailored to you, or to an employee you like to see apply to you-- what would it contain? It can contain dairy and equine etc, doesn't need to stay along one line.
    BTW-- I have 100+ college credits, but only a certificate to show for it. I have the basics, english-math-speech etc so I can get right into the "fun" stuff!
    nan

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I've thought about this many times over the years -- what I would take is not necessarily what you would want, though.

I'd take a couple of basic chemistry and physics classes, because when I was in HS I was too scared of them to take them. I'd take some more math because I used to hate it and now I think it's fun. I'd take drafting because when I was in HS and wanted to take the class, the instructor told me he didn't want me in there, that I was taking the place of a boy who would someday need to support his family (what did he think most girls end up doing, I have to wonder??). I would probably be an architect today if he'd encouraged me rather than discouraging. Anyway . . . . I would take accounting and business management and marketing, not because I find them fun (I don't), but because they are necessary in almost anything you do. I'd take technical writing and creative writing (I've had the latter, just want a refresher class) for communication -- probably ought to have a speech class again, too. I'd take Spanish, because I think in another fifty years, if not sooner, that is going to be the national language. I would take a course in permaculture, and a Master Gardener course. Animal Husbandry, Animal Science, Dairy, beekeeping, anything I could find on organic farming/gardening, and natural health (i.e. raising animals that don't need chemicals to thrive). Genetics. Soil science. Nutrition. Carpentry and construction. Small engines maintenance and repair. Welding and fabricating. First aid/EMT. Solar home design and construction. Cheese production, home and commercial. Spinning and weaving classes. Basketmaking! :D

I could go on, but there's enough there to keep me studying for the rest of my life, I think!! :haha: I may not be able to go back to school, but nothing is stopping me from studying as much of this stuff as possible anyway.

Kathleen

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I would enjoy a really good course in poultry genetics myself. And of course, animal/poultry nutrition, particularly organic nutrition. How to grow/process/mix feeds would be useful. Coming from a health care background myself I already have the basic microbiology and anatomy courses, but those would be really good to add for someone who didn't have them. How to set up and use a spreadsheet program for tracking breeding lines and for expenses etc would be good too. And I think something on life cycles of disease causing organisms would be great to help in keeping the animals healthy.

4. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

There's some ideas I hadn't considered here... Kathleen- you have thought about this!! WOW... :eek: The neat thing about this college program, there aren't "classes" that I'd sign up for, I need to decide what topics to study and it would be work based experience.
    Animal science is too broad- this is what I'm looking for but need to get a more specific topic. Genetics, nutrition, animal A&P, disease prevention-these are what I'm looking into. Cheese production! That sounds interesting!
    thanks!!

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Well, the thing is, I never finished college. I was a young seventeen-year-old when I started, didn't want to be there, and ended up getting married and starting a family rather than finish. I've more than half regretted that decision ever since, and have *almost* started back to school on several ocassions. But, I have my mentally handicapped youngest daughter to consider -- she needs full-time supervision, which makes it difficult to take on-campus classes. And of course there is always finances to consider, especially as most of what I'd like to take wouldn't improve my income any more than studying the same subjects on my own, which I do anyway.

I hope you are able to work out what you need for your classes -- I'd be interested in hearing about what you end up with.

Kathleen

6. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

If I had the chance to do it all again, I would study Pre-1900 agricultural practices. It would cover 2 angles, historical and practical.

Then maybe I would specialize in the Pre-1900 agriculture of specific locations around the world -
    (I would choose places that are closest to my hometown.....)

7. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

You're from Washington? Have you checked out The Evergreen State College? You could end up with a Bachelor's Degree there instead of a certificate. Now this college isn't for everyone, but it has a significant sustainable agriculture program with a complete Organic Farm - Vermiculture and composting facility, etc. They have 85 free range hens there and also pigs which they feed waste from the cafeteria! I was just at a meeting over there, and they've really built up the program. I have thought of taking that program more than once. They are very lenient on transfer credits and there are no "required" courses - you create your own programs pretty much. There are no grades- all written evaluations only. When you get to 180 credits you get your degree!
    Even if you don't go there, you could use their catalog to build your own program for your education!