If you could only have one tomato, which type would you pick?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by renabeth, May 12, 2004.

1. renabeth

renabeth Well-Known Member

We just moved and have no yard, can't even think of a garden but want to have a least one tomato in a pot. So what do ya'll recommend, has to be a good producer since there can be only one. Thanks

2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Sweet 100

I used a 5 gal crock that had holes drilled in the bottom for a tomato on a deck once. it worked but would have done better in a larger cont. Peppers will do in a two gal. size.

In TX, if you use a container you need to have one big enough to keep the roots cool. Too small and roots close to outer edge will cook.

3. Polish Linguisa a OP paste type that is sweet enought to eat fresh, put in salads, but cans well and as an OP you can save seeds for next year's garden.

4. Tomato in a container? Husky Red! Or Northern Exposure.

Marcia in MT, not logged in

5. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Roma...Roma...many tomatoes per plant...good for slicing, for sauce and nibbling from the garden.

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I have a heritage tomato that is red and yellow striped. Darned if I can remember the name, as I save the seeds every year and grow my own. It is so sweet that it's more like candy. I sure wish I knew what it was called. It's fun to try lots of different ones. Maybe if you can manage two, you can try a few different kinds over a couple of years until you find what suits you best!

7. renabeth

Thanks for the answers everyone. We are going to the nursery this and I am going to see which varieties they have in singles. I am leaning toward the Roma because they are supposed to be good for sauce and I would like fresh tomato sauce, if I can get enough tomatos from one plant. So we're off, one tomato and one jalapeno, What a garden!! :haha:

8. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Better than no garden and I almost believe you just might find room for one or two other plants. Basil and bell peppers are good companion plants for tomatoes, all in one pot and both go well in sause.

Something tells me that before long you'll find a nook or cranny somewhere to put another potted plant or two of some kind. Gardening is so addictive and fun. :p

Good luck with your garden.

9. renabeth

Umm, Yes I could see where it could be addictive. When we got to the nursery it was cheaper to buy 4/.75 vs. 1/1.00. And I also bought jalapenos (4) so my ONE plant has alread turned to EIGHT! Ooops. Now I am scrambling to find containers for all of them. Do you know how big of containers I am going to need? They have to be scavanged. Also I bought the cheapest potting soil for 3.00 for 80#. Was that a mistake? Anyway I have $4.50 in my container garden so far, barring gas which probably puts the price closer to $10.00. :eek: Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying Big Boy, which nobody recommended, but they looked healthy. We'll see.

10. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

It happens to the best of us! It's hard to pass up a good deal. :haha:

You can check out "Square Foot Gardening" which gives you good guidelines as to how many plants you can get in a square foot and keep a continual garden going. http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

If you know any painters, drywall hangers or go to restaurants in your area they all can supply with with 5 gallon buckets, probably for nothing. If you want all your jalapenos in one container get a recycling bin or something close to 24" x 16" and 12" deep. A recycled rubbermaid, or whatever bin will work too. If they're free, you can use styrafoam coolers too but they are fragile.

I found organic cow manure (which probably isn't organic) for $1.59 for 40# which was about the cheapest in my area. You did better pricewise than I did on the soil. I feel fortunate that shopping is close for me and I didn't have to spend that much on gas.

Look in all available places and opportunities for possible containers. Is it large enough across and deep enough to hold a plant and can holes be drilled in the bottom to allow drainage? Even a plastic dishpan can be used for plants that don't have an extensive root system. Keep your mind and eyes open, you'll be surprised at the inventiveness you come up with. :cool:

11. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Big Mama Paste Tomato, good flavor, huge fruit, not many seeds. Amazing canned, sauces and good on a BLT!

12. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Scavenged 5 gallon food buckets are wonderful, but beware if they're white plastic: if they're translucent, the light passing through will affect the outside roots (they're photophobic) and encourage algae. If you can seelight through the bucket, just paint the outside so they're opaque. And don't forget to put a drainage hole in the bottom.

We use 10 gallon pots for our tomatoes, as we found the 5 gallon ones to be a little too much on the small side.

13. renabeth

Well, I found my containers. I ended up using molasses tubs. We feed these to the cattle and two were empty. They are light brown and look like planters. I have to admit I didn't think of it (my grandma did). Had my husband drill a bunch of hole in the bottom and then I put in a layer of sand. A really thick layer, because they were so big that I hated to buy more potting soil. I had to buy more anyway so my garden is now upto 7.50 cost. Plus I planted basil seeds and parsley in there with the tomatos so .10 a piece on those. Plus I bought squash seeds for .97 so the garden is definately growing on me. So 8.67 total on the whole garden. I hope I get my money back in produce. We'll see.