If you could build the ideal trailer...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Mar 26, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Money is no object...well, it is for me, but I've got a family in our 4-H club that seems to have no troubles there.

We were talking about doing a fundraiser and buying a trailer so the kids could transport their sheep back and forth to different events, when one mom said why doesn't she just buy it? Her husband has a need for a trailer to transport building supplies to their vacation property, why not get one that will work for the sheep as well, and she'll just pay for it? Works for me :haha: Her husband is the type who loves anything expensive, exotic, you know...a cool label. (She's not, which makes it fun!)

So, aside from the fact that we'll obviously need ventilation for the animals, as opposed to something being completely air tight as with most utility trailers, what details would you be looking for? I know a couple folks who build horse trailers, so I figure if I can come up with a fancy plan, they can build a fancy trailer...

And remember, the sky's the limit!!!

2. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

I have a four horse stock trailer that I think is just perfect. It has a divider in the middle and lots of room. When I go to shows, I put the sheep in the front, close the divider, and haul hay, chairs, and the rest of my supplies in the back.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yup dividers help a lot, so does a front door, and a rear door you can drop as a ramp or slide and or swing open. Monies no object then I want float bowls, lights, a thick rubber matted floor, air ride axles (2), sway bars and good quiet radial tires. Nothing would rattle on my perfect trailer, and it would ride on a fifth wheel hitch. Power ventilation would be nice too.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

if we are going for broke i would put in a monitering system . at the very least a temperature moniter .on even short hauls in hot weather trailers can get hot . also some where to store tack and sheep coats .fully enclosed wires and lit like a christmas tree! electric brakes on both axels