If you could be ANY Wild West person, who would you be?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Dec 26, 2006.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

2. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Awesome pics! :)

Kat

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i would want to be doc holiday i know he died a not so pleasant death but just the same

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Crazy Horse. Or maybe Bridger.

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

WILLIAMS, ELIZABETH ELLEN JOHNSON (1840-1924).

Lizzie E. Johnson Williams, schoolteacher, cattle dealer, and investor, was born on May 9, 1840, in Cole County, Missouri, the second of the seven children of Thomas Jefferson and Catharine (Hyde) Johnson. About 1844 her family moved to Texas; they lived in Huntsville, Lockhart, and Webberville, where Thomas Johnson taught school, before settling on Bear Creek in Hays County. Lizzie received her basic education at the Johnson Institute and earned a degree in 1859 from the Chappell Hill Female College in Washington County.

She began her career as a schoolteacher at the Johnson Institute, a private coeducational school founded in 1852 in Hays County by her parents. Before establishing her own primary school in Austin, she taught at Lockhart, Pleasant Hill School (at that time south of Austin), Parson's Seminary in Manor, and Oak Grove Academy in Austin. In 1873 she purchased a lot in Austin, where she later resided in a two-story home and conducted classes on the first floor.

She later kept books for cattlemen and invested in cattle and land. She was teaching in Austin as late as 1880. Through her bookkeeping and her acquaintance with prominent cattlemen and investors of the day, including George W. Littlefield, William H. Day,qv and Charles W. Whitis, she recognized the profits to be made in cattle.

On June 1, 1871, she registered her cattle brand under the name of Elizabeth Johnson. Two days later she made her first real-estate transaction by purchasing ten acres of land in Austin from Whitis for 3,000 gold dollars. She achieved legendary status as an early Texas "cattle queen" and is thought to be the first woman in Texas to ride the Chisholm Trail with a herd of cattle that she had acquired under her own brand.

Before her marriage to Hezekiah G. Williams on June 8, 1879, the couple signed a premarital contract allowing her to retain control of her financial affairs and keep her property separate. Although much of the land she eventually acquired was originally owned by her husband, she was thought to have been the controlling influence in his business dealings.

After her husband's death in 1914, Lizzie grew increasingly reclusive and eccentric. She also had a reputation for being miserly. Because she sometimes appeared to be impoverished, Austinites were startled to learn after her death that Lizzie Williams had amassed almost a quarter of a million dollars. Her holdings included property in Travis, Llano, Hays, Trinity, Culberson, and Jeff Davis counties. She died on October 9, 1924, and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Austin.

6. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

John Coulter, a member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, returned to the West and was supposedly the first Euro-American to walk thru Yellowstone.

His account of Yellowstone was largely disbelieved at first.

7. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Jack London who was a gold prospector, oyster pirate, hobo, and is mostly known as a writer. Some of his books are The Call of the Wild, The Seawolf and White Fang. Born in San Francisco in the late 1800s, London witnessed the last of the Wild West and through his fiction told the story of the Klondike Gold Rush which was one of the last American adventures. I wish I could have lived in that era.

8. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Wild Bill, which ive been called since high school. My hero then was Guy Madison who played Wild Bill, and I got 2 navy colts and got to be very good at drawing them. But like Scrooge said, more or less to the reaper. If a man alters his past, then his dealings with those in the alterted path become changed also. Well, If i couldnt alter Bills future, it wouldnt be much use to be him . HI CALAM Wheres Charlie??

9. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
  10. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

First choice---Judge Roy Bean ('cause then I'd get to live in Langtry, Texas) :happy:

Second choice----- Laura Ingalls

11. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Can I be Jerry West of the LA Lakers for 1 game?

12. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Probably Sarah Parker, she was a very interesting person.

13. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

Does the person have to be real??? I dearly loved Dirty Sally on Gunsmoke . . . for her simple but joyful take on life.

If not, then Sacajawea for me too!

14. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I would have to say Billy The Kid...I really like that sort of thing. :)

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I'd be Annie Oakley because I am a dead-eye shot! (I don't know about the upside-down on a galloping horse though!)

donsgal

16. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

LOL, I was gonna say Festus.

17. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We just watched Deadwood...Calamity Jane...my husband says I can't talk that BAD...I have a school teacher mouth. Not sure I could drink that much, either.

18. crafty2002

crafty2002 Well-Known Member

I would love to just be me. Myself, with the knowledge I have and be able to carry a couple of rifles and pistols back in time and all of a sudden I was right where I am right now, but in 1840.
    Well, I know. That's cheating, but it sure would be fun. Know about the gold rush ahead of time. The automobile. The airplane.
    They couldn't think I was any crazier than they do now, LOL.
    Bet I could get to the gold first.
    Other than that. Billy the kid, but with my heart. He would have been a lawman.

19. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Jedediah Strong Smith

20. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades