Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have met this man, he is not some "hot head" or "crazy man". Well educated and articulate. I hope this doesn't have to be under the NAIS thread.......Please please.......pass this on! to everyone............

What has Farm Bureau done for you?..................sold you out!

> Subject: Outspoken Farm Bureau Member gets the Axe
> over NAIS!
>
>
> For immediate release;
> contact information; Bob Parker [email protected] com
>
> Permission given to send as far and wide as you can.
>
>
>
>
>
> Texas County Farm Bureau Expels
> member over NAIS
>
> In Houston Missouri the debate over The National
> Animal Identification System rages on. Tuesday,
> August 14th, 2007, the board met with about half of
> the board members present. Board member Gerald
> Campbell, also past President of Texas County
> Cattlemen's Association and also a director from
> District 3 of the Missouri Beef Industry Council
> Board of Directors, made a motion to remove longtime
> Texas County Board member Bob Parker because of his
> outspoken opposition to the NAIS program.
>
> Mr. Campbell, whose wife Nancy works for Farm
> Bureau, stated that Bob Parker had attacked Missouri
> Farm Bureau and needed to be removed from the board.
> Mr. Campbell also stated that he had attended the
> Property Rights Congress Meeting in Cabool a few
> days ago and stated that PRC president Russell Wood,
> speaker Doreen Hannes, and speaker Ray Cunio, and
> Bob Parker had all attacked Missouri Farm Bureau for
> their promotion of NAIS. Mr. Campbell's motion was
> seconded by Gus Adams, his wife Betty Adams is also
> Vice President of the Property Rights Congress
> Chapter and both voted for Mr. Parker's removal.
>
> Mr. Parker repeatedly asked specifically why the
> board was seeking to remove him. He was told by Mr.
> Campbell and Texas County FB President Don Luersson
> that because of his open attack upon Farm Bureau
> that they wanted him removed. Betty Adams charged
> that Mr. Parker had personally attacked Gerald
> Campbell at the PRC meeting by exposing how he voted
> on a resolution supporting Mandatory NAIS. Mr.
> Parker stated that he believed the votes of the
> Texas County Farm Bureau board should be open to
> it's members and the public. Mr. Campbell was
> invited to sit on a panel discussion on NAIS at the
> PRC meeting but after a 10 minute opening statement
> Mr. Campbell refused to answer any questions about
> NAIS or explain his statements. He stated that he
> had to leave for a granddaughters birthday party and
> left the panel only to take a seat in the back of
> the meeting hall.
>
> Mr. Parker asked the board several times
> specifically what the charges were against him and
> also stated that the by-laws of Texas County Farm
> Bureau did not provide for removing a member in this
> way. President Don Luersson agreed but said they
> were going to do it anyway. No specific charges were
> ever given.
>
> Mr. Parker said he would be glad to respond to any
> specific charges and would gladly show anyone why he
> has been very vocal about his opposition to what the
> leadership of MOFB has done, citing specifically a
> July 2005 letter where MOFB President Charles Kruse
> told the USDA that Missouri Farm Bureau supported
> NAIS and that the full program should ultimately be
> Mandatory. Mr. Parker continues to contend that MOFB
> grassroots members have never said that in their
> policy. Mr. Parker believes that the leadership in
> MOFB has been in full support of a mandatory program
> in the past and doesn't trust the leadership
> anymore.
>
> Mr. Parker states ''I have pointed out what the
> leadership of MOFB has done, and they are continuing
> to cover up how this ''voluntary' ' program will
> become ultimately Mandatory! Did you know that most
> marketing programs and all animal health programs
> are requiring a NAIS premise number? How will that
> be ''voluntary' '? Why doesn't MOFB point that out to
> their members? Why is no opposition to NAIS ever
> invited to speak to the resolutions committee's? I
> could go on and on. Why did Mr. Kruse stop a meeting
> in Springfield when I asked about his letter? He
> doesn't want you to know about it, they had to get
> me out, this information is starting to cost them
> alot of money, and members.''
>
>
> I have repeatedly asked leadership in MOFB to tell
> the members the facts about NAIS. They have flatly
> refused. This is too huge of an issue to ignore, I
> firmly believe that if NAIS is fully implemented it
> will wipe out most small farmers, this is for 29
> species, not just cattle!'' Mr. Parker continues,
> ''when I told Mr. Campbell last year about how small
> farmers would not do all the work that these
> regulations would impose he told me that we don't
> need all those small producers anyway, he said and I
> quote, ''what good are they doing for the
> industry?'' He also voted that NAIS should be
> Mandatory when our board voted on it Tuesday, March
> 14th, 2006 by voting against it. The resolution
> stated;
> Be it hereby resolved that the Texas County Farm
> Bureau Board Does hereby reject the current proposal
> by USDA to make mandatory the implementation of the
> National Animal Identification System.
>
>
> I think that FB members should know what their
> leaders really think about NAIS and I also believe
> that Cattlemen should know what their Missouri Beef
> Council leaders are saying and doing.''
>
> The majority vote was in favor of removing Mr.
> Parker immediately from the board. Two members, Dan
> Kyle and Robert Rouse voted against the motion. Mr.
> Parker goes on '' I have tried to expose Farm Bureau
> leadership for what they have done. It comes as no
> surprise that this happened, I could never explain
> the details of what has happened to my board because
> of constantly being attacked by Gerald Campbell and
> President Don luersson at the meetings. Missouri
> Farm Bureau's membership is off about 10% in many
> areas in the State due to members learning about
> what Farm Bureau has done. They are very upset over
> that.
>
> Mr. Parker ''I have never told anyone to leave MoFB.
> I have tried to work to change the organization for
> the better. I believe in the grassroots structure
> but the leadership controls all the information that
> the members get. Farm Bureau has never printed
> anything about why so many oppose this NAIS program.
> Now I strongly encourage every member to drop Farm
> Bureau! Drop your membership! Drop your insurance!
> Drop your support, and send a strong message to MOFB
> that this leadership must be changed before you
> support this organization any more''.
>
> ''I thought one of the founding principals of our
> country was freedom of speech, not in Farm Bureau,
> not anymore. You can be a grassroots member, as long
> as you don't expose leadership. I guess the facts
> speak for themselves. Don't be fooled by the new
> rhetoric from the leadership of Missouri Farm Bureau
> saying they oppose mandatory NAIS, they know that
> very soon NAIS will be involved in so many programs
> we will never keep it ''Voluntary' ', regardless of
> their ''policy''. The days of Free Farmers will soon
> be over, sold out by the very people we trusted''.
>
>
> For immediate release;
> contact information; Bob Parker [email protected] com
>
> Permission given to send as far and wide as you can.
>
>
>

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I may have to put in an anonymous call to my agent and ask him about NAIS. I have been chugging along no realy thinking about the NAIS because it seems to have gone away a bit. I think mayhaps I should update myself and go back to worrying.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
our farm bureau openly displays pro-NAIS brochures in the front. When I asked about it the girls just said they put out what the company sent to them to display. I use Farm Bureau because I have to have ins. on my farm and workers. I cannot afford any of the other companies because they don't specialize in "Farm" policies.I pay about 3500$ a year and the 3 other co. in my area were double or triple for the same coverage. :shrug:

·
Registered
988 Posts
There is a constant/never ending push by the gov.(in whatever agency is out there) to take away private rights......whether it be......ownership of animals.......land.....water......health freedom.......there is never a time when one can rest or think it has gone away.........always be vigilant........ALWAYS

I have personally experienced it..........when our situation was targeted.......there is now no "in denial" of what the gov. is out to do, in my mind.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
Marilyn in CO said:
There is a constant/never ending push by the gov.(in whatever agency is out there) to take away private rights......whether it be......ownership of animals.......land.....water......health freedom.......there is never a time when one can rest or think it has gone away.........always be vigilant........ALWAYS

I have personally experienced it..........when our situation was targeted.......there is now no "in denial" of what the gov. is out to do, in my mind.
Which now means less government for big business and more government so average joe has no option but big business.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I'll stay with the FB, even though many of their policies and their politics rub me the wrong way. I'm a member because their insurance is cheapest. Note, I did not say it was the best. It actually sux, if you have ever tried to file a claim. That's been my experience. But it is cheapest.

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
Jim S. said:
I'll stay with the FB, even though many of their policies and their politics rub me the wrong way. I'm a member because their insurance is cheapest. Note, I did not say it was the best. It actually sux, if you have ever tried to file a claim. That's been my experience. But it is cheapest.

I have to ask, and I mean this with all due respect...

What are you paying for? If you don't think the product is any good, if it will do you no good if you have to file a claim, if the policies of the company are damaging to our rights and freedoms...

Why stay with them?

Now, don't think I'm someone who does not put her money where her mouth is. I was a member of the National Association of Social Workers because they had great prices on malpractice insurance. But the longer I was a member, the more I realized that many of their policies actually violate their own Code of Ethics.

It cost me more, but I looked high and low and I found an insurance company with strong ethics. I could not support an organization that was causing harm to others.

IMO, it's just the right thing to do.

Pony!

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
We've had FB (because of it's cost of insurance) for well over 10 years. We've made claims and have always been treated fairly.

When we bought the homestead 5 years ago, our FB agent made sure we had the coverage necessary for our farm. Our last claim was over 4 years ago.

And then ....

We got vocal about our opposition to NAIS, not just at a local level, but at the state level. They are not renewing our insurance and we're having to scramble. It may be a coincidence, but maybe not. We rained on the parade of some of the local large FB members. Paul was asked by the IL Dept of Ag to be part of a state NAIS meeting where he was very vocal.

I don't like having to scramble to get different insurance - it's a hassle, it's going to cost more. But I know I'll be able to sleep better knowing my money isn't going to an organization that is trying to destroy my lifestyle.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Exactly what position do you think an Insurance Agency would have, over a matter of safety? Hmmmm?

Do you think they would espouse freedom with all of it's risks, and potential payouts of claims, or safety, with controls in place, to limit their liability.

Don't cattle already have an agressive marking and tracking system?

Insurance Companies, by definition, are big business... with underwriters and debt subscribers (or whatever you call them). As far as I know, there's no such critter as a non big business insurance company. One or two claims and they'd go out of business. Ooops, I said business.

Farm Bureau does a lot of good. If we insist on having absolutely pure 'this and that', we'll never have nothing. Life is always a bunch of tradeoffs.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I have long stated in my area that Farm Bureau is NOTHING but an insurance company having lost farmers interests long ago.

To show that they are no longer for the local people they SOLD OUT (merged) and our insurance payments now go out of state. Polices are issued from out of state, etc. Doesn't that sound like an insurance company to you rather than an organization to look out for the well fare of farmers in Kansas?

The guise was to spread the RISK FACTOR over more people. Yeah, uh huh!

I agree that it is still the company I will do business with because of the cost of the insurance vs. another company.. I even had problems securing insurance with another company on a 1949 Chevy 1 ton truck because it was the only vehicle I had to insure, but not with farm bureau.

·
Level II -Inappropriate
3,158 Posts
We had F/B for years. Not many Insurance companies would insure a log home.
We finally found one that would..and cheaper.

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
FB is both a farmer's orginization that supports farm intreests and it also is an insurance company. The 2 share the same corporate, but they are often different divisions of the company, one side not too involved with the other.

Add to that that each state is it's own grass-roots orginization. The insurance policies issued in one state are totally different than the policies from another. You cannot compare the insurance across state lines.

As to supporting NAIS, FB generally pushes for a way to safely track critters to help the USA population trust USA ag. The individual states' support for that varies quite a bit tho.

FB is really it's own small world of differing opinions & goals, depending on what state you are in.

--->Paul

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
Marilyn in CO said:
safely track critters to help the USA population trust USA ag.......you're kidding right? It's to make a government owned cow herd, that's all.

Not at all. wouldn't work that way. The govt doesn't want to own anything.

They want control - nature of the beast - but they sure don't want to own it. If they own it, they can't collect taxes.

NAIS & COOL are about making prople totally isolated from agriculture, living in the middle of the big cites - and people in other countries who import meats - feel there are checks & balances on the saftey & health of the stuff they buy or import.

Has very little to do with govt control.

It's about making people feel good about the products they buy.

How it affects horse owners, or livestock shows, or a person with 5 chickens was never even considered - didn't enter into the picture at all.

Govt does not want to own the livestock. No way.

They want to make people on the buying end feel good. You, me, the fellow with 10,000 hogs - none of us were really considered. The laws or controls were all about the buyers.

Does no one on this forum understand that? It's a real simple thing.

None of us livestock growers - from the biggest ranch in Texas, to the person here with one cow - matter. It is all about the consumer feeling the govt is protecting them.

--->Paul

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
rambler said:
Not at all. wouldn't work that way. The govt doesn't want to own anything.

They want control - nature of the beast - but they sure don't want to own it. If they own it, they can't collect taxes.

NAIS & COOL are about making prople totally isolated from agriculture, living in the middle of the big cites - and people in other countries who import meats - feel there are checks & balances on the saftey & health of the stuff they buy or import.

Has very little to do with govt control.

It's about making people feel good about the products they buy.

How it affects horse owners, or livestock shows, or a person with 5 chickens was never even considered - didn't enter into the picture at all.

Govt does not want to own the livestock. No way.

They want to make people on the buying end feel good. You, me, the fellow with 10,000 hogs - none of us were really considered. The laws or controls were all about the buyers.

Does no one on this forum understand that? It's a real simple thing.

None of us livestock growers - from the biggest ranch in Texas, to the person here with one cow - matter. It is all about the consumer feeling the govt is protecting them.

--->Paul
..........JMPO , but from what info I've gleened , it's ALL About making the large pork and meat producers....."feel good"....!!
...........They don't want independent and small cattle producers being able to sell beef or pork that hasn't been "sanitiZed" by thEir standards .
............Next , they'd like to beable to control the market too some extent when and IF they IMPortant beef from Countries like China . The government control and price...Fixing... Relative to the Sugar Industry comes too mind here . , fordy

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
If we don't know where a cow came from, how are we going to sue the owner of said cow, when someone gets sick from mad cow disease. Or, better yet, destroy the herd if mad cow hits, or hoof and mouth disease, etc.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It USED TO BE.......here in New Mexico.......tha IF you owned land ...THEN you could VOTE on "Property Tax Issues" , if you didn't own land...you coudn't vote on that issue.

SOME "FEDERAL LAW" changed that in the late '60s.....

NOW.....people who don't pay property tax........VOTE for their neighbors to pay!!!

i DON'T MUCH CARE FOR "TEA".....(coffee guy)...........

BUT, I THINK we could use another "Boston Tea Party".

just my 2 pesos worth,
bruce

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
Texican and Rambler have it right. We need a way to identify source in case of any outbreak of disease in our herds. I have been a Farm Bureau member for about 50 years, served as a county director and tried to do my part to set policy we needed. Keep the insurance part separated. Farm Bureau policy is determined by members that take a active part in setting it. I didn't always agree, but , I did acknowledge that my peers outvoted me.
There is so much misinformation about NAIS that some people will never know what they are talking about.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.