Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you for the greater good of the people do it or say "oh no way thats against my human rights I'm going to do what I want."
I wonder. My whole family this summer was quarantined. We ended up with chicken pox. I shown no sign, neither did my two eldest children, but I kept them in-house so not to have a chance of spreading it. Oh and by the way the children that came down with it were vaccinated against it. So don't give me the " if you would have vaccinated"!
The thing is would you happily stay put, could you happily stay put for weeks on end?

·
Registered
229 Posts
It would not be fun. Major understatement. But yes, I'd do it. It's the responsible, adult thing to do. Like I said, wouldn't be fun. But neither are a lot of things in life we have to do, like going to the dentist and getting colonoscopies.

We work at home, so it wouldn't really interrupt us from that aspect. However, hubby might just be relegated to the garage (or I would!) for the last 14 or so days. ;)

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
It would really depend on the situation for me. IF one of us had been to West Africa and came back to the US - I'd have no problem staying in Q for 15-21days. But since many Dr's have come home from West Africa since the out brake began (in March, I think) and only 1 has come home "healthy" and later gotten sick......I'm doubting the chances would be high that Q would be necessary. Until recently no one coming home has been Q'ed.......why now??

For something like chicken pox....well...as long as the kids were feeling sick we'd (kids and I) would stay home. If I had non-immune kids that were not sick, they would stay home from school, scouts, and other such social gatherings. But they'd be allowed to go out and play with friends (with kids who's parents who were FULLY aware of our situation and fine with it). But DH, who had CP as kids, would not be staying home and I'd only be home if the kids "needed" me (I'm also immune). DH only gets 5 days of sick time....so Q'ing him for minor things is nuts. I'm a SAHM, but I'd still shop, get stuff from the library, etc for minor illnesses (assuming I'm not the one sick).

·
Registered
229 Posts
It would really depend on the situation for me. IF one of us had been to West Africa and came back to the US - I'd have no problem staying in Q for 15-21days. But since many Dr's have come home from West Africa since the out brake began (in March, I think) and only 1 has come home "healthy" and later gotten sick......I'm doubting the chances would be high that Q would be necessary. Until recently no one coming home has been Q'ed.......why now??

For something like chicken pox....well...as long as the kids were feeling sick we'd (kids and I) would stay home. If I had non-immune kids that were not sick, they would stay home from school, scouts, and other such social gatherings. But they'd be allowed to go out and play with friends (with kids who's parents who were FULLY aware of our situation and fine with it). But DH, who had CP as kids, would not be staying home and I'd only be home if the kids "needed" me (I'm also immune). DH only gets 5 days of sick time....so Q'ing him for minor things is nuts. I'm a SAHM, but I'd still shop, get stuff from the library, etc for minor illnesses (assuming I'm not the one sick).
Why now? Because we've been playing Russian roulette with ebola. The surprise isn't that it's here now, but that it hasn't been here before now. Although for all we know, we've all been exposed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I should probably add that I feel that anyone with a contagious illness of a certain level of severity should be quarantined. Got the flu? Sorry, you're persona non grata in society until you're not contagious. Strep throat? Get away! *holds up garlic and splashes holy water* Stomach virus (the spread of which is often related to poor hygiene like pooing and not washing hands)? Go to your cave and stay there. I'm an equal-opportunity quarantiner. ;)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I stay home and keep my kids home any time we have something contagious. We've stayed home for flu, strep throat, bad cold, impetigo and mono just in the last few years. It's irresponsible to go spread it around when you know you've been exposed or diagnosed with it. And that's how we ended up with it - some inconsiderate jerk spread their germs around instead of staying home. I'm a homebody anyway, so I hardly noticed I was quarantined.

Hubby is another story. He drags himself to work when he's sick, no matter what. I suppose if he'd been to West Africa and was possibly exposed to ebola he'd quarantine himself since he could wipe out his whole family, but other than that, no.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would be a big jerk about it. I would be screaming to the outside world, that I'm out of T-bone steak and lobster tails. IF I don't get some delivered, I'M coming out!. And Hey!!, Get me some cable T.V., with ALL the channels. AND OHH YEA!!, FILL the propane tank while your at it......YA BIG BULLYS:grin:
I'd probably weigh about 300lbs after 21 days

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
I would be a big jerk about it. I would be screaming to the outside world, that I'm out of T-bone steak and lobster tails. IF I don't get some delivered, I'M coming out!. And Hey!!, Get me some cable T.V., with ALL the channels. AND OHH YEA!!, FILL the propane tank while your at it......YA BIG BULLYS:grin:

move over i think i got exposed too....roflmao...but order me rib eyes please and big texas fries and garlic bread.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You forgot about the beer!!! How could you forget about the beer? :smack

TRellis

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dog was quarantined for 6 months. He was a stray, we rescued him at a shelter and found out a month later that another dog turned in at the shelter tested positive for rabies. My dog had been in the same building for 3 days. No proof he had ever been in contact with other dog. 36 dogs in shelter immediately put down. A dozen or more rescued were turned back in an put down. Only 6 rescue dogs had new owners who would quarantine them.

We had to prove to law enforcement that my husband and I ( the only ones exposed to him) constructed double fencing in yard to keep him in, and idiots from sticking hands in. Since we also spent weekends in another state, we had to prove to those officials we had double fening there too. ALSO, we had to show that the dog would always be put into the car while in a closed garage and taken out in another closed garage. Did this for 6 months. Had to notify neighbors of possible rabies ( it was the only summer we were not harassed by the wild grandkids!)

Cost to us was high, inconvenience too, but we did it. If we did not, they were going to put him down and make us take the shots. Ugh. Had him 4 years before he passed on - he nev knew how lucky he was.

This nurse is a self absorbed whiner.

·
Registered
311 Posts
move over i think i got exposed too....roflmao...but order me rib eyes please and big texas fries and garlic bread.
You forgot about the beer!!! How could you forget about the beer? :smack
TRellis
We would have to DEMAND some good Canadian swill, along with some German dark beer.
Lets not forget about some new comfy Lazy-boys and Extra T.V. remotes. (Drunk people loose them in the cushions)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts