If ya want to build a table

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TNHermit, Jul 12, 2006.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm willing to help anyone build a table. So if you want to put your name on this thread, Or PM me.

For the sake of helping you better,let me know
    what style you like or a picture,

if you have ever done woodworking. I don't want to belittle anyone or be to far ahead of anyone.

what tools are available to you. what your comfortable with using. You need to at least have a drill of some kind. And some basic hand tools.

We can do it through this thread and if anybody wants to chime in with tips and help they can. There are other good woodworkers out there.

You can build fancier than your capabilities may be. By buying some things if you have the money. such as fancy legs. They are available for 15-80 dollars

And through the miracle of the Internet we can take all the time you need. You will have homework. LOL

PS I may have a reputation with some as one of those evil GC types. All argumentative, judgmental and angry. Don't believe it :)

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

TNH, it's folks like yourself who make this forum a great place. No matter the personal quirks or idiosyncracies (sp?), there are so many GOOD people here who are willing to share their expertise and to teach. Thank you!

NeHi Mama

3. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

well, I am interested to see where this thread goes myself. I am not really wanting to make a table at this point. What I am wanting to make is a tabletop thingy for my well in my front yard. Right now what I have is a 6 sided, 2 and a half foot tall, rock thingy, covering the well. There is a piece of sheet metal on top that the wind frequently catches and blows away. I thought to put a substantial table top on it, that would extend 6 or 8 inches out from the rock all the way around. I intend to mosiac the top (I have a week long class for that starting July 31st :)) ..... so, I'll peek in frequently :) and hope to watch someone elses project!

Woodsmokeinherhair!

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

You could build a square box out of 2x4s that will fit just to the outside of the stone.Then cut a sheet of plywood with the amount of over hang you mentioned.Then just screw the plywood to the wooden box.The box will keep it from moving side to side.And the plywood is the top.
    Can you envision that? Or can someone describe it better.Or have a better way.
    Also might want to use Marine seal plywood and pressure treated 2x4's.Since you'll want your art work to last a long time.
    Have fun! Sounds like a neat idea.

Also if you can see under the top when its on.You could deck it out with a piece of crown mold underneath it.But it would have to be caulked and painted or it wouldn't last very long in the elements. :shrug:

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I love this idea and hope it will get going.. Thanks TNH, for your helping teach us... QB

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I built 2 picnic tables when I was just out of high school. They seperate in the middle, each side becomes it's own table. Then the table top folds so each 1/2 turns into a park bench type of thing.

Pretty neat. Built them out of redwood, back when it was possible to afford that.

I also made a small 4x4 formica top table for my sis to use in the laundry room. Started with plywood, attached the formica myself, put on legs held by one screw/bolt so you can take the legs off.

--->Paul

7. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Hey, TNHermit, you did it! You started a table making thread! This is cool!

Okay, here's my status:

I have a pile of barn boards outside. They were at one point tongue and groove siding on some sort of livestock shelter. It's been knocked down in the interest of safety. :) Most of the boards are about 10-12" wide, some narrower, some wider. There are also some nice sturdy timbers out there (legs?). That's what's available in that pile. I also deal with The Borg as you call them (Home Depot and their like, Rona is the Canadian version).

For tools, well, I have a decent stash of toys: drills (several), 10" sliding compound mitre saw, skill saw, table saw (on loan but will be here awhile), and the usual little stuff like squares, hand saws, and so on. No pickup truck at the moment, plenty of 2x4s and 2x6's in the pile outside, not much in the way of plywood ... but my truck should be fixed in the next month or two. :D

What do I want to build?

Well, I think that I'd like to have a table top made of the barn board that's outside. I figure it'll need to be 'mounted' on some sort of solid substrate, kind of like how you mount hardwood planks on subfloor. For legs, I'm open to options. Size of table ... hmm, I think about 6' long and 4' wide, give or take: enough to have two people on either side with placemats for their plates, and room between for bowls of food ... and I'd like to have a bench on one side (maybe both) and chairs at head and foot of table (I do have chairs that would serve, don't need to build those!). I don't normally seat more than 3 at a time, but I occasionally have six or more, and my kitchen is small and my joints ache if I stand too long, so I like to be able to work at one end of the table and still serve dinner at the other end, if whatever I was working on isn't the kind of thing that can easily be shoved aside so we can eat.

I like plain, not fancy. I am not into detailed finicky stuff of any kind. :)

I really like the look of the barn board all gray and rough ... so I've been wondering if there's a way to lacquer over it / seal it so that it still looks like it does when brought in from outside, but is somehow smothed over. I've seen that 'pourable' lacquer stuff, and I've seen what numerous coats of marine varnish can do.

Okie dokie ... that's where I'm at. What's my first assignment? :)

(Note, I will be a slow student - I am still finishing construction on my house!)

8. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

Hmmmm.......... my wife was just telling me she would like one in the kitchen (about 36" X 48"). I have all the basic hand tools and a cordless drill. Also have an old circular saw but it keeps blowing every circuit I've tried it on in this house we just moved to! Talking about getting a reasonably priced table saw.

9. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Hmm. Need some advice on table saws. There was one here, but once set up, there was no room left in the workshop. Couldn't even get around it! I sold it, but I think it would be very handy to have some sort of table saw on hand. Any suggestions for a neophyte with a small workshop? TIA.

NeHi Mama

10. TNHermit

This seems to be taking off. I will wait a couple more days. to see if anybody else wants to Join in.

I'm not sure if we do this if this thread can qualify as a "sticky" or not. Guess I'll have to find out :)

For those of you looking for table saw or other tools. I use Bosch and Hitachi tools for commercial work. But for home use I think Ryobi has the best bang for the buck. They are not commercial use tools. And if your the type that that is "rough" on tools they probably won't work for you. but for reasonable care they will last a long time.

If you look on the bay or else where Ryobi made a saw called the BT3000/1. I have one that is 7 years old and goes on every job. It is a furniture makers saw. And can be set up to do very accurate cuts. Plus you get the bonus of a router table. Home depot sells them new for 249-299.00 They also sell a similar one on fold up stand and wheels for around 150-200.00 Sears also sells the same saw (BT3000) as a job site saw on wheels for 400.00
    If you take care of them they will last a long time. Other than that you'll have to look around for older "contractor" style saws. processionally at flea markets you can find older Rockwell and Craftsman iron saw. They can be a good buy. Usually they are 8 or nine inch saws. Check them carefully.

Happy Woodworking

11. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

Hmm//I always end up with one leg shorter/longer than the other/Then the dance begins and it doesnt end till all legs are too short..
    Gord in BC

12. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

:D I did that dance. Have a coffee table that use to be a kitchen table with a wobble.

13. TNHermit

LOL So did i when I started. I'll show you a trick on how not to do that dance :)

14. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

How about a standing butcher block? Got any tips on making that?

15. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

I have one of those BT3100's -- haven't used it but once in the last 2 years and keep saying I need to go out to the shed and work on a project -- maybe this table idea would be just the thing to get to use some of my tool stash -- I've got more tools than I ever get to use and so would be interested in making a table.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

16. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in knowing if you had any plans for Mission oak tables. My DH has his own portable saw mill and we have some oak I'd like to have a hand at. We have all the tools. I'd like to surprise DH and make a dining room table, no leaves, but big. Simple lines. Any suggestions.

17. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I need a table big enough for a large family. I have 5 kids. I have a skil saw, a scroll saw, a chain saw, and a hand saw! :) I have various hand tools, naturally. I don't have any other supplies, wood, or experience. I do have a very large tree that we just cut down because it was struck by lightening. :help: This will be a table for our covered deck. I don't care what it looks like, if it is rectange, or square (but not round)... I just want it to be BIG ENOUGH for my whole family without costing me 1000 bucks! :help:

My husband and I will be doing this together, which is a good thing because I am a "bloomin' idiot" where wood working is concerned.

Hoping you can help because we have been looking for one we could afford to buy for over a year!

Cindyc.

18. TNHermit

Do you want a table type or the old fashion type. the old fashion type is real easy but takes a while because of all the glue up.

19. TNHermit

If ya get it out and clean it up. then let me know. There is something you need to do to it before you use it. Its easy and I will tell you how.

20. TNHermit

We can build a mission oak table (or you can :) ) but yours will take a while. we can make it usable but it won't be finished till the wood drys. Mean while you can give it that antique look :)