If This Place Wasn't Over Priced

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Aug 25, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

nice property but $4000 an acre is tough.

3. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Well depending on where one is at right now, it is a steal at only $4K an acre.

4. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

That seems pretty high for that area!!!

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

This is the same company that FolioMark has purchased his land thru.

Also, Neil will answer e-mails if you ask him questions...

Angie

6. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener

That's overpriced? Out here, that would be $800k. :help:

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Used to be rural land was valued on what it could produce, now its just a large suburban lot with a scenic view or at least a natural one. Some of these lots are further away from anything than others. Yep with open borders and desire by those with money in this country to fill it to the brim with consumers and day laborers, looks like it "could" be an investment. Or if fuel prices go up and no close jobs, may be just might far to walk and have little value to anybody.

My guess this property was forclosed because the former occupant agreed to pay too much. Oh thats another thing, this artificially low credit that government is doing its best to keep in place is also causing the selling price to be way too high. If everybody had to pony up cash on the barrelhead what do you think a place like this would sell for? Maybe $4000 or $5000 even with todays inflation riddled dollars?

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

unfortunately, if the land was near me and had sewer and water it would go for $39,000 per building lot.

9. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Raw subdividable land runs at least $200,000 an acre here.

Pete

10. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Same here exactly. It must be REALLY BAD land, in a really bad area, no industries, something must be off.

11. silverbackMP

silverbackMP Well-Known Member

Land it that area generally sales around $1500. $1000/acre or less in larger chunks. This guy markets toward the city crowd IMHO (and to put it nicely).

12. silverbackMP

:Bawling:

Duh, its the Ozarks. What kinda industries do you want? It aint Trenton, NJ. Major industries include cattle in South Missouri and cattle and row crop in the North (land is a little more expensive up noth due to better top soil and more people).

13. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Well it does seem rather pricy, but there may be marketable timber to cut the cost a bit. I would take all the metal off the structure and the other items that are metal and sell them for metal salvage. Electric to it is a good point as that is pricy to have run too. It didn't say if there was a septic system installed, guessing I would say not.

Is this seller one of those that if you miss one payment they foreclose?

14. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

It would not appear pricey to a burned-out Californian who had just a little California equity and was looking to escape. Not a bit pricey.

15. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Beefree I am not sure but I would be willing to bet that neil would not foreclose on someone for missing a payment or even two depending on the circumstances. Though I agree with silverbackMP's asessment. This is an opportunity for some folks that have bad credit or what not and dont have cash to be able to "buy" land I guess that is would also explain the high prices in part.

16. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

The old adage of "beggars can't be choosers" applies..If that place had a decent well and a septic, I'd be down there with a HUGE smile on my face and consider myself BLESSED to be cleaning it out and shoring it up until I could make it better.

17. silverbackMP

Geez, its been awhile since I visited his website. I'm in the wrong line of work. Of course I don't have the people skills and don't know if I could be that greedy/crooked.

18. silverbackMP

OK foks.

Here is how you find decent prices for real estate in Southern Mo.

1) Pick a location, take trip, get to know some locals, and put out the word you are looking.

Or

1b) Go here: http://www.real-estate-multilist.com/State/Missouri.htm

2) Financing--Farm Credit Services/financial--Go here: http://www.farmcreditofmissouri.com/

Big Rock--this reply was not addressing your original post just trying to help out those attempting to move from $100,000/acre and up areas not to get ripped off (and further drive up land prices).

19. silverbackMP

I've been noticing land prices are actually coming down a bit in parts of Missouri. Alot of rural land in the north has been underpressure just not from further expansion of the burbs but as "investment" land for the St Louis/Kansas City Crowd and has been bought up for purely for hunting. North MO is fairly famous for deer (much bigger than south Mo), turkey, and duck/geese. Also much of it is farmable with row crops and can bring in some income either throuh renting or CRP. This has pretty much allowed the price of northern missouri real estate to rise comparable to southern Missouri.

However, some places in north of Columbia, MO that would have been selling for $2500-3000/acre last year and now in the sub $2000/acre range. I think the higher interest rates and ARMs are starting to have an effect even on undevelopmed/rural/farm land.

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I did not mention it before but I think the house there on the property is perfectly fine from what I see of it. I am sure someone built it with a lot of blood sweat and tears probably with out borrowing either and I am sad that they lost it for being stupid enough to go into something they could not afford.