if they stopped junk mail

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by myheaven, May 5, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

If the made a rule no junk mail, my mail man would only have to stop at my house one or two times a week not 6. And shoot for that fact id have him wait till tuesday to drop off my mail when its my go to town day. That would save alot of gas his day would be much shorted and not to mention how many trees die to make junk mail?

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I agree.. Heck if they could outlaw bills too then I'd very rarly get mail..

There are a lot of ways to reduce your junk mail though.. Do a search on google.. I found a site that had half a dozen methods.. So far they seem to have worked..

3. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

MY DH was just telling me that there's a # to call that was advertised on the radio the other day to stop junkmail. But, the reception was poor in his vehicle & he wasn't able to get the #.

4. pcdreams

5. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I hate getting junkmail & worse yet someone getting their hands on a CC offer & actually activating the card in my name! :flame:

6. myheaven

Shoot that person. Well not litterly but smack them up!!!!!!!!!

7. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

I actually got the opt-out information in a CC offer . I called the # and it gave a web addy . I went there and filled it out for me and then for my husband . I DID NOT give them our SS#'s . Within 3 weeks all CC junk mail stopped . I set it up so it stopped permantly . I also found out that those credit reporting companies are reccomending you to the CC companies based on your credit . They also sell your name to insurance companies . We were getting between 2-3 offers per day . I am so glad it has stopped.

8. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

No, I've never been in the postal service, but I'm very knowledgeable about how the big bulk mailers work closely wityh the post office. In effect, they are the biggest signle customer for the post office. So simple to dump that crud in your box, and it makes the PO loads of dough.

9. pcdreams

No problem. I know how tiresome it all gets.

If its true about the credit reporting agencies giving out our info to credit card offers then they must not know how bad our credit is.. We had perfect till we had to file bankruptcy 4 years ago.. I wouldn't see that it would have improved that much that fast (was getting about 3 offers each per day)..

If I had the extra I'd get my credit score.. I've got my report and it looks right.. But Just can't swing the $5 x 6 right now..

10. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

The post office makes most of its money from junk mail not the letters me and you mail. With out junk mail it would cost a lot more to mail your letters and payments . And with gas 3 soon to be 4 dollars we just can not afford to drive about and pay the bills.
    It saves me money and it is not one of my bigger problems to toss the junk into the garbage. Some I use to light fires some I put in the compost not a problem.

11. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My mother works at the local post office told me that the opt out will not stop any of the "marriage" junk mail that gets included with the missing children card. Those mailings pay extra to be included with the required missing person cards and are exempt from the opt out.

12. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

BIG MONEY, that is what the post office makes on "junk" mail. Big Bucks. If the junk was stopped it would most likely cause a depression. Your mail carrier might just get laid off. Mail delivery might just go to two days a week, with an increase of postage of about double (possibly more). The system could not support the new retirees, and what about the medical costs for them?

The recently forced paper recycling programs would likely go broke. They are not self supporting now. They operate at a cost to the taxpayer, usually the land owner (where else, deep pockets).

So you are intent on causing our economy to fail. I knew we would find out who it was sooner or later.

13. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Help out the Post Office.....Mail all the junk mail back to the sender and let them pay to get their junk back.Maybe even add a few extras to it so it weigh more.Post office Carrier says it legal as long as there is postage on it.So...Make their day....Send it back...I have got a big decline in Junk Mail since I started doing it.I haven't got enough nerve to send a brick glued to it yet .Maybe......idontno

14. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Yeah --- if they stopped junk mail we would be in TROUBLE! My DH is a mail carrier! He says they call it "bread and butter mail" because it's the USPS's bread and butter!

Also, think about all the other people whose jobs rely on junk....er, advertising mail: The people who work at mailing houses, printers, graphic designers, and copywriters. Like me, the copywriter. :) Not to mention the people in paper mills.

Just use your ad mail to light a fire or shred it and compost! Trees are a renewable resource.

15. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Great idea. Why not gather up all the "postage paid" envelopes and cards and just mail them back. That way the post office will get paid by the advertiser, and perhaps the advertiser will get the message. There are a lot of other things one could do with this prepaid mail. Put the name of your least favorite politician on the cards. Take the envelopes and put something in them. Doesn't matter what, just something.

Perhaps we could expand the economy this way. :)

16. myheaven

I was going to do this but I thought I would get introuble. The kids would havew a blast drawing pictures and sending them.
    I think that is what ill do.

edcopp
    So you are intent on causing our economy to fail. I knew we would find out who it was sooner or later.
    Is this a little harsh?