If sheep are being kept inside a barn with no outside access...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by russellsmom, Feb 3, 2005.

1. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

One place has a very nice looking ram (okay he's at least very photogenic because I haven't seen him up close and personal just yet) that I may be interested in. The issue I'm wondering about is the fact that he's in the barn. Now mine can get into the barn, but they also go outside whenever they want. Personally I think it's critical that they get outside and exercise no matter how cold the weather. They don't even show in interest in staying inside the barn during the day (unless they come in to eat hay), they only come in and bed down at night.
    I just need to check and see what some other sheep raisers think. If this ram would be one I'd want, I'd almost want the owner to keep it until the weather warms up a bit more as I'd hate for it to contract pneumonia or a cold here. Wouldn't it almost have to be kept inside a barn until the weather warms?

2. adnilee

adnilee Well-Known Member

Our rams have access to a small area outside the barn so they can get exersise. If the ram hasn't been sheared in the fall, he should have no problem (in my opinion) going from a barn to a frosty outdoors.

What breed or ram are you looking for? We have a nice ram lamb at a great price listed here on the forum. We put him in his own stall only after he was close to being old enough to breed his sister, so he is very accustomed to the outdoors.

Adrian

3. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a registered Katahdin or a very nice commercial hair sheep cross like maybe a Dorper/Katahdin mix.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd pick a cool dry day to move him but beyond that if he's in good condition he should take to the change quite well.

5. kit

kit Well-Known Member

To bad I can't help you out!! I have some really great Katahdin rams - 17 months old and 250 pounds. Ram lambs at 100lbs at 100 days and even had one at 100lbs at 90 days last summer..... And, I don't do all the fancy conversions that go into that, I just simply weigth them at those dates and they must be a twin or better.

But, I have kept the odd ram in the barn all winter. I don't like to, but sometimes due to fighting and things, we have to keep them seperated. But our rams are mainly kept in what we call the ram pen - outside space and a roof with 4 walls to go in if they want. Then the corral cleanner does the work in the summer instead of the pitch fork in the winter.....