Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would turn our markets upside down. We tend to think about drugs, but how much can vitamin and mineral deficiencies account for severe Covid-19? Or how much does exercise or lack of exercise contribute? We know obesity is highly correlated with severe covid and death. And run through some of the other co-factors - diabetes, anxiety, weakened immune system, low vitamin d, etc.

We also know that supplements like vitamin c, vitamin d, zinc, quercetin, l-arginine, b-complex, melatonin, and even an aspirin can help treat people with covid-19.

My point is that if NIH really followed the science, they would be using their soapbox to stress exercise, diet, stress management, weight loss, and dietary supplements when needed.

Of course, Big Ag, Food stores, food manufacturers, chemical companies, many farmers, and on and on would fight it every step of the way. How would they make their money without the use of chemicals, fat, and processed foods?

Can an individual eat a healthy diet, maintain a good weight, and be overall healthy? Yes, but we used to be able to do it without working at it. Even Wonder Bread and sugar-rich cereals didn't make us fat.

In A Hunter-Gatherer's Guide to the 21st Century: Evolution and the Challenges of Modern Life, Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying discuss how changes are happening faster than we as humans can adapt to them. Food choices are one of these changes. many of the foods available contain ingredients our bodies are not adapted to processing. This can result in obesity and other diseases.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
It would turn our markets upside down. We tend to think about drugs, but how much can vitamin and mineral deficiencies account for severe Covid-19? Or how much does exercise or lack of exercise contribute? We know obesity is highly correlated with severe covid and death. And run through some of the other co-factors - diabetes, anxiety, weakened immune system, low vitamin d, etc.

We also know that supplements like vitamin c, vitamin d, zinc, quercetin, l-arginine, b-complex, melatonin, and even an aspirin can help treat people with covid-19.

My point is that if NIH really followed the science, they would be using their soapbox to stress exercise, diet, stress management, weight loss, and dietary supplements when needed.

Of course, Big Ag, Food stores, food manufacturers, chemical companies, many farmers, and on and on would fight it every step of the way. How would they make their money without the use of chemicals, fat, and processed foods?

Can an individual eat a healthy diet, maintain a good weight, and be overall healthy? Yes, but we used to be able to do it without working at it. Even Wonder Bread and sugar-rich cereals didn't make us fat.

In A Hunter-Gatherer's Guide to the 21st Century: Evolution and the Challenges of Modern Life, Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying discuss how changes are happening faster than we as humans can adapt to them. Food choices are one of these changes. many of the foods available contain ingredients our bodies are not adapted to processing. This can result in obesity and other diseases.
I'll argue against your premise in the same way I now argue the co2/GW/GMO/Glyphosate etc things-- SURE- those all cause problems. How much of a problem? So little that they can easily be ignored and results won't change.

All the things you mentioned don't affect your health enough to worry about Your mother was lying to you abut diet....All the crap about Vit D & C etc in regards CoV are miniscule differences, and because the studies are small & few, probably represent routine wandering of the data-- like getting 6 Heads on 10 flips of the coin-- just chance. Do more studies to see the true bel shaped curve and they'll prove to be no advantage.

BTW-- have you ever done serious exercising? How long did it take to get back OUT of shape once you quit? 2 weeks? No lasting advantage to exercise.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll argue against your premise in the same way I now argue the co2/GW/GMO/Glyphosate etc things-- SURE- those all cause problems. How much of a problem? So little that they can easily be ignored and results won't change.

All the things you mentioned don't affect your health enough to worry about Your mother was lying to you abut diet....All the crap about Vit D & C etc in regards CoV are miniscule differences, and because the studies are small & few, probably represent routine wandering of the data-- like getting 6 Heads on 10 flips of the coin-- just chance. Do more studies to see the true bel shaped curve and they'll prove to be no advantage.

BTW-- have you ever done serious exercising? How long did it take to get back OUT of shape once you quit? 2 weeks? No lasting advantage to exercise.
I read today that obesity was the leading indicator of death from Covid-19, not age. If that is true, then that trumps everything you said. And I wasn't referring to exercise as a way to lose weight, but to improve cardiorespiratory and mitochondrial fitness.

CDC study finds roughly 78% of people hospitalized for Covid were overweight or obese. ICU admissions and deaths was lowest among individuals with BMIs under 25. The risk of severe illness “sharply increased,” however, as BMIs rose, particularly among people 65 and older link

Studies in the United States have shown that having a BMI over 30—the threshold that defines obesity—increases the risk of being admitted to hospital with covid-19 by 113%, of being admitted to intensive care by 74%, and of dying by 48%. Public Health England reported similar numbers for mortality, with the risk of death from covid-19 increasing by 90% in people with a BMI over 40.1
This is irrespective of age, as being overweight or obese is associated with worse outcomes in younger populations as well. People under 60 years old with a BMI between 30 and 34 are twice as likely to be admitted to intensive care with covid-19 than those with a lower BMI.2 A report from the World Obesity Federation published on 4 March 2021 showed further trends, emphasising that death rates from covid-19 have been ten times higher in countries where more than half of the population is obese.3 And as the world becomes optimistic about vaccines helping us return to some form of normality, a preprint published in February reports that obesity might correlate with a lower immune response to the Pfizer-BioNtech covid-19 vaccine, although the study was small and is yet to be peer reviewed.4 These worrying developments have brought much needed attention to the world’s obesity epidemic. link

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Then we can conclude that excessive nutrition, not bad nutrition is the culprit?

Other studies tell us more than half of Americans are overweight, so that 78% number becomes much less impressive.

What are the confounding factors linking obesity to CoV risk? Never draw conclusions based on correlation studies. Those studies should never do anything more than to suggest further studies to clarify the situation.

From the paper listed as footnote #3-

"The authors acknowledged that the age structure of a country, as well as its relative wealth and reporting capacity, has an impact on covid-19 cases, hospital admissions, and deaths,...

Overweight populations are more susceptible to respiratory diseases generally. During the MERS and H1N1 influenza epidemics, for example, worse outcomes were linked to excess body weight."---

Being obese doesn't make you get sick, but, once sick with a resp condition, it's harder to breath, therefore, harder to recover. Obesity is not THE CAUSE of any disease. It's a complicating factor...;and then we have the phenomenon that for many prolonged, life threatening diseases, being obese (ie- having a large reserve store of energy) improves survival....

·
Registered
21,818 Posts
I would prefer following common sense and evidence over following science. The WHO, CDC, and NIH follow the science and the science has been wrong many times. Instead, I would hope doctors are consulting with other doctors in successful states to see what they are doing. Look at Florida. 21 million people and their cases have dropped 88% in 6 weeks and their daily death rate is 4. They are doing something right because 4 deaths per day is an insignificant number in a state that large. I know they push monoclonal antibodies on early cases and that could be the reason.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would prefer following common sense and evidence over following science. The WHO, CDC, and NIH follow the science and the science has been wrong many times. Instead, I would hope doctors are consulting with other doctors in successful states to see what they are doing. Look at Florida. 21 million people and their cases have dropped 88% in 6 weeks and their daily death rate is 4. They are doing something right because 4 deaths per day is an insignificant number in a state that large. I know they push monoclonal antibodies on early cases and that could be the reason.
It could just be the normal cycle. You see the same pattern in most southern states.

·
Registered
21,818 Posts
It could just be the normal cycle. You see the same pattern in most southern states.
It does indeed come and go in waves but rarely declines at the steep level of Florida. It is very similar to the graph of India but Florida now has a lower death rate than before the Delta variant arrived. And all that without any mandates or shutdowns. Can science explain that?

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Instead, I would hope doctors are consulting with other doctors in successful states to see what they are doing.
They probably still do when it concerns topics other than covid. We have reached a point where if a pro vaccine doctor discovers another doctor is contrary to his viewpoint, the conversation probably ends.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does indeed come and go in waves but rarely declines at the steep level of Florida. It is very similar to the graph of India but Florida now has a lower death rate than before the Delta variant arrived. And all that without any mandates or shutdowns. Can science explain that?
Florida might have had a slightly faster decline, but Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama are similar. Florida also changed the way they report deaths from when reported to the actual date of death. I believe this started in early June which would have pushed some deaths to an early date on the charts.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
One more time, Guys--

No two zebras have identical stripes, but all zebras look more less the same. The pattern of waves in the new infection data is the same in all jurisdictions, regardless of efforts at manipulations....

The vax hasn't influenced things very much-- not because it doesn't "work", but because it's been deployed so slowly. Had everyone in the country gotten a vax on, say, Nov 15, 2021, then we would have seen a remarkable change in things....But they didn't.... Now, almost a year after becoming available, only half of us have gotten it, and half of those already are naturally immune and didn't need it.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
No. But agenda driven people will ignore that variable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts