If my friends could only see me now...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paranoid, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

Just got rid of my moms car that was being babysat for a while off the driveway. Well when it was moved all these brown garden snails started trying to find a new home, and I was thinking.. didn't I read something about these in Carla's book?

I quickly ran in the house and grabbed a bowl and started grabbing the little buggers. Now I have them in a nice new home eating moistened corn meal.

It may sound disgusting, to eat them, but in another lifetime I worked in a 5 star french restaurant and the chef there made some wicked good escargot with a garlic butter sauce and pastry shell.

I have no doubt I will be able to make them just as tasty, my only decision is weather I should eat them all now (i harvested about 10 good sized mature ones) or if I should clean out an old aquarium that was being used as a hamster cage, sterilize it and use this set of snails as breeding stock.. what do you all think? do they grow and reproduce appreciativly fast?

haha, i'm such a freak, i'm gonna be eating good but I wont say peep to my friends :D

2. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Well, my 23 yr. yr. old daughter has been homesteading and teaching Africa since mid-Jan. Having been a former vegetarian child...It rather hurts my feelings because she is now eating far worse then snails. Snails, I understand, are a deliquicy. I saw that on the Iron-Chef TV Cooking show. Deb

3. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the 5 star restuarant snails are Sea Snails. I checked my "Million Recipe CD" and found 6 recipes, and only one specified sea snails. Another called for canned snails and the other four just said snails.

Unless they're poison, just one would let you know if the taste is ok. I'd recommend you cook one (with a wine sauce of course) and let us all know. If they taste good, raise them.
    Gary

4. Paranoid

per The Encyclopedia of Country Living, I have the correct snail. A small brown garden snail. She also recommends you do not eat one right away to see how they taste, since then they would taste bad, instead she says to feed them cornmeal for 72 hours to purge them

hehe, i'm researching being a snail farmer:
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/AFSIC_pubs/srb96-05.htm

5. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

hehehe

I say

1. purge them
    2. cook 1 or 2 up as desired
    3. if you think they are tasty, raise them
    4. give away some finished gourmet dishes along with recipe
    5. sell the offspring to said consumers

Rachel

6. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

In my mind, anything cooked in butter and garlic has gotta be good! Fried is good too, though wouldn't they just explode if they were fried? GROSS!

I don't know if I could get over the texture part. I tried a pawpaw a few weeks ago and the texture just totally grossed me out because it tasted like mangoes but didn't feel like mangoes...

good luck with your new venture!

Beaux

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Gently cook L'Escargot in butter and garlic and wine and serve with toast points and more wine (in a glass this time)...and don't tell your friends about it until after all L'escargot are gone!

8. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I LOVE escargots! Need any help eating that lil herd of snails?

9. Paranoid

hehe, we'll see how they taste first :)

while looking them up i saw they infest citrus groves, and can often be seen hundreds to a tree trunk 2 hours after sunset. i'm gonna try tonight, i have some orange trees.

oh they say to water 2 hours before nightfall to get em moving out

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........When I was a chef at Sonic :p , we would always feed out snails Chocolate(sp) EXlax for 2 days and cook to taste . :1pig: :D

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I've had snails and been totally unimpressed. It would have been a lot easier to just fry some bread in garlic butter.
    On the other hand, free protein is free protein. From a husbandry standpoint it is probably easier and more reliable to just gather snails than in trying to raise your own. When we lived in S. California while in the USAF the local paper ran an article at least once a year on gathering the huge snails and eating them. Again, the price was right but garlic croutons were a lot easier.

12. Paranoid

yeah, in my reading i discovered they take a year to mature, to hell with that!

i'll just consider my yard as my breeding ground.

and yeah, its about the free protein part.

13. ellebeaux

Are these invasives or a native species?

Just curious.

What about slugs? I have some humongoid slugs here. At least 4 inches long. Gross.

14. Paranoid

eww, slugs.

um they are invasive. from what i read, back 100 or so years ago when the french came here, they liked their snails so much they brought them with them so they could eat well in the new world.

snails are seen as an extremely destructive pest by civilized america, and by me up to a day ago, however now i'm starting to see things like this as prelude to lunch:

[​IMG]

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Since you're NOT Paranoid , about eating slugs , you might want to change your User name to.....SlugFeast...fordy... :p :)

16. Paranoid

eww slugs are disgusting!

these things remind me of Opihi that i absolutely love.

slugs remind me of... well.. slugs.

17. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

Where did you find Pawpaws around here ?

18. lilrose

lilrose Member

When I was a kid, my dad was stationed in Haiti. Lots of haute cuisine there upper since it was a French colony.....they served snails ( escargot ) and those weren't sea snails. Our maid would pick them off the basement walls and bring them upstairs to cook for dinner.
    I consider them no better than boogers with garlic butter. :eek: :D
    But, if you are hungry and in need of protein, I guess you have a good thought.

19. Paranoid

hey, those hatians can COOK!

i work with a couple ladies that work magic with food, my favorite is the way they cook turkey. damn it is to die for.

20. ellebeaux

Oh, at Foods of All Nations in Charlottesville. Actually when I went back a couple of weeks ago and spoke with the produce manager, she said that she thought the one that she sold me was too 'mealy', since she tried some other ones ought of the shipment. So I'm going to try again next year.

The guy up in Afton, www.ediblelandscaping.com sells pawpaw trees (bushes?), so that's why I was interested. I'm trying to find some things that I can plant that are native and will yield quickly. Like blackberries and strawberries. Or maybe a dwarf apple.