If it ain't one thing.....

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Now this is a different one! I live next to a corn field and the pigs are right next to it, maybe 20' away. It was harvested last week and today they are spraying it with something nasty. I talked to the guy and he says it is liquid manure, supposedly from their cows (small commercial dairy) I guess. He said no chemicals. The stench is rather magnificent, though! It's breezy today; the tractor is stirring up dust, it is blowing over here and the pigs are breathing it and eating grass it's settled on. My question, is this likely to affect the flavor of the meat if he is butchered tomorrow? Should I postpone it a week or so? I'm not looking for an excuse, honest!

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

As hogs willingly ( and gleefully) take a mouthful of cow manure from time to time to process it for the nutrients and minerals passed thru the cow, I doubt that a one time exposure to cow manure will have any effect on the meat whatsoever.

3. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Well, this is different from simple cow manure! But you being a dairy farmer already know that, so I will trust your judgment and let the boy go today. Thanks UN.

2:30 and I am already up. Think I fret much?? :help: