If in Ohio, hide your Stud!!! (Stupid Laws)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Apr 7, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, was reading some livestock laws... found this one funny:

§ 959.19. Prohibition against servicing mare in public street.

No owner of a stallion or jack or the agent of such owner, shall permit it to serve a mare within thirty feet of a public street or alley in a municipal corporation.

So do you have any more? :eek:

2. Peepsqueak

Peepsqueak Well-Known Member

:yeeha: :yeeha:

Why not? :haha: :haha: :yeeha:

3. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Some of the old laws are so funny...
    Read of one in Boss ,Missouri that you couldn't have a hat on your horse...!
    I have it in my files somewhere & there were others here in Mo. Makes you wonder about who didn't want the hat on a horse..I can see the public breeding animals being frowned on.. GrannieD

4. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Seems like a reasonable law. Ever been up close pretty whan a stallion was "servicing" a filly? Now would'nt that be great in the middle of town.

5. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

in the town where i grew up it was illegal to rinse your dentures in a public drinking fountain and you can't "park" your horse on main street :no:

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Well in our town we just discovered that we all have the right to keep chickens and a milch cow for family use inside the city precincts. Seems that some Asian Grad Students were keeping some chickens in the back yard and a neighbor objected to the city fathers. Low and behold, the city attorney discovered the old law was still on the books and had never been rescinded and Urbana being the charming eccentric and liberal home of lots of old hippies and other remnants of High Birkenstock Society, the City Council, after duely inspecting said chicken coop, decided to leave the law as it stood. I dont think I need a "milch cow" but I bet I could get away with keeping a nice goat or two out in the shed. And they say Urbana is a backward place......

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

There's one for a midwestern state that you can't tie a giraffe to a utility pole (after a circus incident happened in that town).

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I think anyone who's ever seen a stallion "service" a mare can understand this prohibition!

Which reminds me of a funny incident. My stepdaughter and I were talking about SOMETHING (I can't remember just what!) in front of her daughter, then age 11, which led to stepdaughter jokingly asking her daughter if she knew what "sex" was.

Daughter replied that she did.

Stepdaughter (perhaps trying to figure out just how much she knew) asked, "Well, then, what is it?"

"You know, Mom!" daughter replied, "It's like Domino and Mecca!" (Referring to her mother's Arabian stud and mare.

Stepdaughter whispered to me: "Wow, is she ever gonna be disappointed!"

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I guess my question is, why 30 feet what happens at 31 feet?