If I were you what would you do?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ONThorsegirl, Dec 10, 2005.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

A Guy who works with my dad has 2 rabbits, I haven't seen them but from what my dad told me they are a lop eared breed. The Guy bought the rabbits from a pet store in the summer. They were guaranteed the same sex, well you can guess where this is going! So they did have a little last week. All of the 7 babies died, the mom supposedly wouldn't let them nurse. So now he wants to get rid of the rabbits. So should I take them? I have room. I'm just talking my self into it anyways. God why would I bother to ask. lol.

I will let yous know what happens, my dad kind of hinted that we could probably take them, so we will see! I'm excited. lol. Here I go again!

Melissa

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

For meat? If they're from a pet store they won't have much on them and they won't produce much.
    However, if they'll just be for pets... go for it! If you don't take them, they'll probably either go to another home for half a year, get sent to the SPCA, or get set "free". Lops in particular are characters!

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

If they're still in the same cage she's probably pregnant again. Rabbits will mate as soon as she's done giving birth. Some of the cutest babies born here have been lops!

4. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

I know, That is what I was thinking too, The aren't very knowledgable about rabbits. I asked my dad if they were still in the same cage the other day thinking the same thing. I don't know if they have been seperated or not.

Melissa

5. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

That is probably why the babies died, since they are in the same cage. The pet stores as a rule do not have a clue about rabbits...or most anything else!

I seen an ad for Dwarf rabbits in the window at the pet store in the mall...they were Dutch bunnies that had just been weaned. They told me things about rabbits that I 'did not know'....and I have been raising and showing them (judging them too!) for many, many years....I think that some of my stock was on the Ark! :D

6. Dian

Dian Well-Known Member

If you have the room I say go for the lops. I love my lops, none are pure bred, but we raise for meat. Mine are large enough for our meat use. My lops are my favorite rabbits, they are so laid back and gentle. They come in pretty colors and most I have had are really good mothers. Mine usually have around 8 babies, but my first lop doe usually had 12 or 13 and would raise them all. If you are not going for pure bred rabbits you can cross with larger rabbits if the lops are not a large as you want. Dian