"If I find him I'm gonna kill the little.....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Jul 5, 2005.

1. Terripan turtle!!" Today I went out to see how much bigger my tennis ball sized cantalope was getting and all I found was a couple of small bites left on the vine! :( So I cut it off the vine and examined it with a closer look and realized it wasn't teeth marks but more like beak marks. That's when I realized I've got a terrapin problem. I then checked out my watermelon patch and realized I have only two small watermelons left. The other day I counted about 5 melons coming on that were about 3 inches long.

Turtle soup anyone???? :mad:

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

He'll be baaaaach!!! Put a layer of sand round the plants and see if you can find the tracks what direction the little critter is coming from. Are they edible?

3. yep, they're edible and I have seen recipes for them. But I have never eaten one and it's going to be a really tough time in life before I try a plate full. However, I got up went out to my garden right at daybreak and there he was. Munching down on half ripe tomatoes.

I picked him up and took him to the other side of the spring creek that runs through our place. Terrapins don't swim, right? So he/she should become someone elses problem that lives on the other side of the creek.

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I think all terrapins can swim - they are aquatic turtles. Then again most turtles can swim too, even if box turtles aren't very good at it. It's the box turtles that nest in our field and eat our tomatoes.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you for removing him instead of killing him! I have one in my laundry room sink right now. One of my dogs keeps bringing them to the house. I wait until the dogs are in for the night and set them free.

Funny thing is I usually take them out to the garden to set them free and I haven't had one single problem with them eating any of my watermelons, etc.

Oh, I have eaten turtle before...snapping turtle, not terrapin. It's all white meat, very tough. Tastes kind of like chicken!!!

6. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Maybe that's how he ended up on your side of the creek in the first place :)

I don't recall you mentioning a fence, but if you have one and they're getting under it, you could try laying down thick cloth at ground level or wire fencing with smaller holes that they can't get through.

/VM